First time out with the JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-29-2010, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

First time out with the JK

Well, after 4 years I finally got to go wheelin' again. It was great! We went out to the George Washington National Forest on the VA side, along Rt 33 and around that area.

My Jeep is bone stock and the trails around that area are level 1 and 2 on avg. So, I figured that would be a nice place to start. I was really impressed with what these rigs do off the showroom floor.

I pulled my sway bar links to get some extra travel which really paid off big time when we hit some climbs comparable to level 3 trail obstacles. L3 stuff really pushed the limits of these rigs. I tested the skid plates a lot! The AT tires (even at 12 psi) slipped a lot while going up and down near vertical 2.5'-3' climbs as well as on some 30*-40* climbs. I wouldn't recommend any L3 stuff in a stocker unless you have 5 years or more under your belt. Even then, I came pretty close to a few trees on a slide or two. LOL

I heard lots of reports that Harrisonburg closed all of the trails along Rt 33 to protect watershed areas for public/city water supply. When we got to the Dry River Ranger District, we actually found that all of the trails in the park are still open. However, any trails on Harrisonburg property south of Rt 33 and crosses Dry River, were gated or had some hard core tank traps.

Anyway, we were having so much fun, that we really didn't take too many pictures or videos, but I figured I would share a couple we did take.

Spaz

Small pool of water...

http://fiveguysracing.com/marc/jeeps/DSCF0466.AVI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-29-2010, 04:16 PM
Granite Guru

Good to see you out getin' her dirty. Don't wait so long before you go again!
post #3 of 7 Old 08-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Rock God

Dude, if you get the Poison Spyder or soon to come Metal Cloak fenders you should be able to fit 35's with no lift. Then the L3 stuff should be even easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-30-2010, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgutz View Post
Dude, if you get the Poison Spyder or soon to come Metal Cloak fenders you should be able to fit 35's with no lift. Then the L3 stuff should be even easier.
Seriously? A fender swap with my rig and 35" tire fit? I would assume I will still need the wheel spacers, right?

One of the reasons I bought this JK is because it was trail rated and it sits a lot higher than the regular JK. It is the same hight as far as ground clearance goes, compared to my 2000 XJ with a 6" lift and 31"s If I could pop 35's in there as is, that would be awesome...
post #5 of 7 Old 08-31-2010, 11:11 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Nice couple of pics. Glad that you got to see what your JK could do

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-01-2010, 10:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcspaz View Post
Seriously? A fender swap with my rig and 35" tire fit? I would assume I will still need the wheel spacers, right?

One of the reasons I bought this JK is because it was trail rated and it sits a lot higher than the regular JK. It is the same hight as far as ground clearance goes, compared to my 2000 XJ with a 6" lift and 31"s If I could pop 35's in there as is, that would be awesome...
Yeah you could run 35" tires with just a fender swap. I am running 35's with a 3" lift and poision spyder fenders, and it looks good but I know I could fit 37" easy.

Oh and yes you would need spacers.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-01-2010, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Awesome... I appreciate the feedback. I am excited about making some mods. I am disabled and it is a little tuff to get in and out as it is. I want some nice aggressive tires and have it look ... non-stock... I guess is the only way to put it. LOL

I think I am going to hit up one of the cultured parks around PA and get some more trail time in. I just need to spend some time installing my radio ad a couple fire extinguishers.

I am so happy I bought this rig. I should have bought a Wrangler a long time ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode