Dusy-Ershim Trail (Sierra Mountains) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Dusy-Ershim Trail (Sierra Mountains)

I, Hatch from Safari Straps, his son Kevin and two other Jeeps tackled the Dusy-Ershim trail in the Sierra Mountains. We drove 6 hours to the trail head. The trail is 33 miles long and has some of the most intense off-road driving I have ever done. And I spent 20 years in the Army driving Jeeps and Humvees all over the world. We wheeled for 5 days on what seemed to be a never-ending rock crawling trip.
Day 1 and 2 were the best days of the whole trip. We tackled Chicken Rock. It is a smooth slope that goes up at 45 degrees for about ¼ mile. Looks worse that it is. But it will make you think about it while you are looking at the sky driving up! We camped at Courtright Reservoir and caught some very nice rainbow trout that made for some good eats!
On Day 3 we tackled the infamous Thompson Hill. Thompson Hill is like doing the Hammers on a 45 degree slope at 9500 ft. The rocks are relentless and seem to move around after every Jeep goes across them. Trying to get the right line is very difficult as each Jeep moves the rocks around as they drive over them. I followed a CJ and we did a lot of rock stacking to get him through and then had to restack the rocks for me as he shot them out all over the place. At one point I had to put a tow strap on the CJ while he was hung up. The scary part was he was uphill from me and I had to pull him back towards me. It was a very slow, methodical move! I don’t have many pictures from Thompson Hill as we were too busy trying to survive it to take many pictures! After we got through Thompson Hill we made camp at Thompson Lake.
Day 4 saw us head for Ershim Lake. The trip to Ershim lake was a long one. We were going to split the trip to Ershim Lake into two days by staying at East Lake but decided to wheel all the way to Ershim Lake from Thompson Lake so we could spend two days camping before we wheeled out. The trip took almost 8 hours over some very treacherous terrain. Not as bad as Thompson Hill but pretty close in some spots! Needless to say we were all exhausted after that day of wheeling.
Day 5 was relaxing at Ershim Lake. We did some fishing but didn’t have the success we had on Day 1 and 2.
Day 6 we headed to Lake Camp Lake for overnight stay.
Day 7 was the day we wheeled out. Just as we started back on the trail the CJ lost it’s clutch linkage. After some very quick trail repair we were on our way. A little down the road my steering stabilizer got all jammed up and locked up my steering. After we removed that we were again on the way. Those were the only two mechanical failures we had on the whole trail. That in of itself is quite amazing considering what we put the Jeeps through. As we left the trail the most amazing views came into view. At 10000 ft. we could see all around the mountains. The views were amazing and to see all the lakes from that vantage point was breath taking!
We completed the trail and of course after airing up my JK developed Death Wobble. We tightened some steering bolts and off I went. I had to adjust the steering several times to get her home but she got home in one piece.
Now the fun begins…cleaning everything up and repairing the damage!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

More pics

post #3 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

More Pics

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Still More

post #5 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Last ones I promise!

post #6 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 10:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice pic's, love that trail!

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #7 of 23 Old 08-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Rock God

i think i saw a jeepbeach tshirt! great pics, thanks for posting

In 2009 a crack commando wheelin' unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the South Florida underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as wheelers of fortune. If you have a problem. If no one else can help. And if you can find them. Maybe you can wheel with The 50/50 Off-Road Team.
post #8 of 23 Old 08-26-2010, 10:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Awesome, I've been trying to gather info regarding Dusy-Ershim. One of my concerns for a long trip is ice and water. On my 3 day, Rubicon trips, I take 4lbs of dry ice and cover it with 40 lbs of bag ice in a cooler for ice only. Drinks and more ice go in another cooler and perishable food go in a third cooler with ice packs. The cooler with ice only, replenishes the other coolers as we go. How did you guys manage water and ice and what would you do differently if anything?

Normally , I like to wheel for six hours and camp. At that pace, how long would it take to complete the trail? I was told by someone that a large portion of the trail is dusty and you're on rocks that are to big to go fast and to small to make it interesting. Any truth to that?

Are there rangers out there? How do you prepare for emergencys?

Lastly, what bait did you use when fishing? Worm? Powerbait?

I'm sure I could go on but I won't.

Great Trip and Writeup
post #9 of 23 Old 08-26-2010, 01:09 PM
Granite Guru

Great pics, very cool!
post #10 of 23 Old 08-26-2010, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubirobv View Post
Awesome, I've been trying to gather info regarding Dusy-Ershim. One of my concerns for a long trip is ice and water. On my 3 day, Rubicon trips, I take 4lbs of dry ice and cover it with 40 lbs of bag ice in a cooler for ice only. Drinks and more ice go in another cooler and perishable food go in a third cooler with ice packs. The cooler with ice only, replenishes the other coolers as we go. How did you guys manage water and ice and what would you do differently if anything?

Normally , I like to wheel for six hours and camp. At that pace, how long would it take to complete the trail? I was told by someone that a large portion of the trail is dusty and you're on rocks that are to big to go fast and to small to make it interesting. Any truth to that?

Are there rangers out there? How do you prepare for emergencys?

Lastly, what bait did you use when fishing? Worm? Powerbait?

I'm sure I could go on but I won't.

Great Trip and Writeup
WOW...OK One at a time:

Ice and water were easy. I froze two cases of water bottles and put them in the bottom of my huge marine cooler (see it in the picture below). I had another two cases loose in the front for drinking. They got cold at night (temps in 30s).

They were still mostly frozen after seven days. I had another cooler just for ice but my "buddy" put his warm beer into it on night one becasue he had a few too many and wasn't thinking. He had very cold beer...I had no more ice! It worked out however as we used the frozen water bottles as ice. So the answer is to freeze water bottles and use them as ice and for drinking as you go along. The only real thing i would change is the amount of food I brought. I brought way too much but better too much than not enough is my theory.
We wheeled for an average of 6 hours a day so you can do it in 4 days if you wheel/camp/wheel/camp etc... We decided to do two two day camping sites. The group in front of us did it in 4 days but they were exhausted after!

I can tell you that the rocks on that trail are anything but small. They are large and in great numbers. The trail is very dusty so prepare for that. You will spend most of the trail in 4LO if that helps you understand. There were some VERY tight squeezes between trees for the JK on wheel spacers (mine). I climbed up the side of many a tree getting through the trees.

There were no Rangers that we saw on the trail. We did run into a couple different groups of people however. There is no cell phone coverage anywhere but at the end of the trail. You will have to have first aid kits and someone with some sort of first aid training. Getting out of the trail would not be easy for sure in an emergency. It is a risk vs. reward thing!

We used worms for bait and they seemed to work best. I tried powerbait and salmon eggs but they netted no fish. One guy cuaght one fish on a lure. I recommend worms.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by SFCCotton; 08-26-2010 at 01:35 PM.
post #11 of 23 Old 08-26-2010, 01:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Thanks, Good info. Now I can be better prepared. That's one hell of a trip. I look forward to it probably next season.
post #12 of 23 Old 08-26-2010, 05:11 PM
Granite Guru

NIIIICCCCEEEEEEE.....

4dr Unlimited Rubicon - Rescue Green
Poly Performance 4.5" Synergy Stage 3 Suspension System
JE Reel 1350 Jeep JK Front/Rear Driveline With New Yokes
Woods Evap Canister Relocation Kit
37" Toyo MT's
post #13 of 23 Old 08-27-2010, 09:12 PM
Rock God

Garage

Nice trip report. Great pics. The tires on the silver rubicon are general grabbers yes? How well do they work in the rocks?
post #14 of 23 Old 08-27-2010, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMo View Post
Nice trip report. Great pics. The tires on the silver rubicon are general grabbers yes? How well do they work in the rocks?
They didn't. I could not keep a line in the rocks to save my life. I kept slipping off the rocks and had to readjust my line constantly. That was probably the worst part of the whole trip....the tires I was running.

post #15 of 23 Old 08-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Rock God

Garage

Ouch....they look better for high speed desert or allterrain. Love my Toyos, aired down they stick like glue
post #16 of 23 Old 08-27-2010, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMo View Post
Ouch....they look better for high speed desert or allterrain. Love my Toyos, aired down they stick like glue
Yeah, I am probably going to go with KM2s or MT/Rs. Toyos are too heavy for me.

post #17 of 23 Old 08-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Awesome trip, have to do it some day!

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #18 of 23 Old 08-28-2010, 01:05 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Cool trip! Good pics to, what a view.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #19 of 23 Old 08-28-2010, 05:57 AM
Rock God

Garage

Awesome views!

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
post #20 of 23 Old 08-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Rock God

Garage

Sweet trip...
post #21 of 23 Old 08-28-2010, 11:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Thank you for the write-up and the awesome pics!! Looks like a great time!

on the list...

ps- looked like alot of sausage on this trip!

HUNDY
'11 VIRGIN 2 dr JK

MILITARY TIRES
Hi Tread MT 37x12.50x16.5 $150 ea!
post #22 of 23 Old 08-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Wheeler

Awesome pics guys! I cant wait to run that trail one of these days, looks like you guys had a blast! Glad there was no major problems, and thanks for the food/water info.
post #23 of 23 Old 08-28-2010, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100dollarman View Post
Thank you for the write-up and the awesome pics!! Looks like a great time!

on the list...

ps- looked like alot of sausage on this trip!
Yeah it was a Sausage Fest...we cooked a lot of sausage!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode