Mark Twain National Forest - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Berserker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 02-15-2017, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Mark Twain National Forest

Just a heads up to anyone riding in the Mark Twain National Forest. We started our journey in Arkansas and crossed the state line into Missouri while trail riding in the Mark Twain and when the trail brought us to the Roaring River we crossed without incident but when we reached the other side, the Missouri Game and Fish folks descended upon us from the woods on ATVs and immediately fined us $100 apiece for crossing the river.

I am new to the area and I was riding with four friends who have been traveling this area for years and everyone was stunned by the act. There are no signs and the officers are hidden in the woods around the obviously well used crossing; it is a "speed trap" in the woods. These guys are making a ton of money for the state arresting unknowing offenders as there was never a warning just a ticket issue.

I know there is no excuse for ignorance of the law, but there is no law in Arkansas about crossing a river with a motorized vehicle and the trail was not marked with any warnings. When asked why it was not marked the officers said that it would be a waste of time since the signs would be removed or vandalized. Maybe their time would be better spent protecting the signs and the countryside instead of ripping off law abiding trail riders.

-Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-20-2017, 11:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Wow, that sucks.

Kevin
post #3 of 3 Old 02-22-2017, 01:13 PM
Rock God

That suck to hear man. I got into a fun internet argument with someone on one of my YouTube videos because in it I'm driving in a stream in Missouri. Turns our it was the only allowable situation when that's allowed- the water began and terminated on private property. It was Pee-Wee's Crossing at Southern Missouri Off-Road Ranch.

Enjoying our 4x4's is getting harder it seems as rules and regulations clamp down on us. That's why we need to be aware of all the laws and rules out there. Where did you start your trail ride at? Mark Twain is entirely in Missouri and doesn't connect to any National Forests in Arkansas.

Similarly, I just found out the K-Trail in Oklahoma has been closed for a few years. A group of us were going to run it this Summer. Apparently all the land around the trail is now privately owned, so the "trail" is now a private drive and you can be fined for trespassing. Same situation you encountered- there aren't "No Trespassing" signs because they keep getting torn down.
GlobalMapper likes this.

Damn the cannons, full speed ahead! |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode