Trip over Colorado's Pearl Pass - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 09-05-2016, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Trip over Colorado's Pearl Pass

We made a day out of driving to Aspen, over Pearl Pass and into Crested Butte. The weather was perfect for the most part, but the top of the pass at 12,700 feet was cold and windy! The trail was a lot of fun, challenging enough that you had to pick good lines and I even had to engage both lockers on some wet rocks at the start. There was a good deal of water running off the mountain making for plenty of chances to get the Jeep wet, it even rained a little on the way down as well.

What was really funny was that on the way down on the Crested Butte side we ran into a guy in a Red Toyota pickup, named Josh.... we actually met him on Black Bear pass last year (where it was incredibly cold and windy) and he remembered us! Too funny!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
['12 JKUR | Automatic | 3" TeraFlex Outback Suspension, Alpine long arms, Falcon shocks | 35" BFG KO2's | Warn Zeon 8 | Truck-Lite Headlights and Rigid D2's]

It's hard to beat a full tank of fuel and a desire for adventure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-06-2016, 09:45 AM
Wheeler

very cool video. love the drone shots
post #3 of 19 Old 09-06-2016, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

thnx for sharing; looks like a great day riding trails ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 09-06-2016, 03:24 PM
Wheeler

That looks like a beautiful trail, should have ran it over the weekend but went down to Black Bear.
post #5 of 19 Old 09-06-2016, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbank View Post
very cool video. love the drone shots
I feel like my Drone to GoPro ratio was off... I wanted more aerial shots, but it was super windy on the Pass and there was no way I dared fly! My Phantom would have ended up in Kansas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
thnx for sharing; looks like a great day riding trails ....
Appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcale View Post
That looks like a beautiful trail, should have ran it over the weekend but went down to Black Bear.
Meh, I think you made the right call! Was there snow on Black Bear? I heard it was closed 2 weeks ago due to snow.

['12 JKUR | Automatic | 3" TeraFlex Outback Suspension, Alpine long arms, Falcon shocks | 35" BFG KO2's | Warn Zeon 8 | Truck-Lite Headlights and Rigid D2's]

post #6 of 19 Old 09-07-2016, 08:42 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Meh, I think you made the right call! Was there snow on Black Bear? I heard it was closed 2 weeks ago due to snow.
No snow, it was spitting rain when I first started heading up. The big problem was I ran in to a bunch of traffic. There was a group of 10+ rigs that let me play through right before the descent but once I got to the steps there was a backup. Another group of 10+ toyotas were heading down, and from what one of the guys ahead said a guy in a tacoma needed to be spotted almost the entire way down. Took almost 2 hours.
post #7 of 19 Old 09-07-2016, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
No snow, it was spitting rain when I first started heading up. The big problem was I ran in to a bunch of traffic. There was a group of 10+ rigs that let me play through right before the descent but once I got to the steps there was a backup. Another group of 10+ toyotas were heading down, and from what one of the guys ahead said a guy in a tacoma needed to be spotted almost the entire way down. Took almost 2 hours.
Good to know, thanks for the trail intel! Hitting traffic on those trails sucks, been there.... it gets old, fast.

Funny about the Tacoma.. must have been from Texas.

post #8 of 19 Old 09-08-2016, 02:49 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Good to know, thanks for the trail intel! Hitting traffic on those trails sucks, been there.... it gets old, fast.

Sadly, no, saw the Tacoma at the gas station just out of town and it was a CO plate. Heard him and a few others talking about running Imogene, so I gassed up grabbed a snack and headed out so I didn't get stuck behind them on that as well.
post #9 of 19 Old 09-08-2016, 08:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

Quote:
Sadly, no, saw the Tacoma at the gas station just out of town and it was a CO plate. Heard him and a few others talking about running Imogene, so I gassed up grabbed a snack and headed out so I didn't get stuck behind them on that as well.
Colorado. Texas largest State Park.

It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.― Ronald Reagan
post #10 of 19 Old 09-09-2016, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck ron View Post
Colorado. Texas largest State Park.

post #11 of 19 Old 09-09-2016, 03:38 PM
Wheeler

This looks awesome!

2015 Sahara Unlimited Anvil - BDS 4.5 " Short Arm Lift - Method NV Wheels - 35" Nitto Terra Grappler G2 - JCR Dagger Front Bumper - JCR Crusader Rear w/ Shield Carrier - JCR Classic Sliders - Warn Zeon 8 Winch
post #12 of 19 Old 09-19-2016, 08:52 AM
Wheeler

Awesome video
post #13 of 19 Old 09-19-2016, 07:41 PM
Rock God

Very cool video. Looks like a beautiful trail.
post #14 of 19 Old 09-20-2016, 04:43 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Not sure how I missed it, but nice vid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #15 of 19 Old 09-20-2016, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maaicher View Post
This looks awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dous View Post
Awesome video
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
Very cool video. Looks like a beautiful trail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post
Not sure how I missed it, but nice vid!

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

post #16 of 19 Old 02-02-2017, 11:20 PM

Great video. Loved the drone shots and the soundtrack. Was thinking of taking the family there in September. Do you think a stock rubicon will do fine (no lift)? I usually do those trips on a bike ( like the guy you took video off), but just bought a rubicon so i can share this amazing placed with the wife and kids

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #17 of 19 Old 02-03-2017, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matikr View Post
Great video. Loved the drone shots and the soundtrack. Was thinking of taking the family there in September. Do you think a stock rubicon will do fine (no lift)? I usually do those trips on a bike ( like the guy you took video off), but just bought a rubicon so i can share this amazing placed with the wife and kids
Glad you liked it! I think a stock Rubicon would be fine, the hardest part was on the Aspen side and right at the beginning. Just pick your line carefully and you ought to be fine, or run it from the Crested Butte side and go down the difficult section.

I also ride, love seeing a place on the bike then loading up the Jeep and taking the wife out there later on.
Matikr likes this.

post #18 of 19 Old 02-13-2017, 03:05 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Awesome!!

2017 wrangler 4dr rubi
post #19 of 19 Old 02-13-2017, 03:50 PM

That is a sweet video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode