Kennecot Copper Mine (Salt Lake City) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-18-2010, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Kennecot Copper Mine (Salt Lake City)

The wife and I decided to take a little trip. Took about half an hour to get to the copper mine over look from where we live. Fun part was on the way back down the mountain I didn't have to touch the gas pedal at all until we were within 3 blocks of our house...

Took as many pics as I could of the machinery down there...those dumptrucks are massive. Also found a rock to pose the Jeep on too. Other people that were up there kept on making comments of how it looked like it belonged there...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-18-2010, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

post #3 of 8 Old 07-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Granite Guru

you are so lucky to have accsess to places like that, it goes to show you that it is not always about going through the deepest mud or the sickest rock crawl. beutiful pics. I'm stuck in CT we have woods with deer flies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-18-2010, 05:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

x2 very nice silver 2drs are the best
post #5 of 8 Old 07-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

That's incredible. Looks like y'all were really up in elevation in the 1st pic.

*I gotta ask- Did y'all have the "opportunity" to drive the mining road that is about 1/2 way up the side of the mine- that you can see in a couple of the 1st pics?

....cause that looks like it would have been fun.....and seriously intense.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #6 of 8 Old 07-18-2010, 08:42 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
That's incredible. Looks like y'all were really up in elevation in the 1st pic.

*I gotta ask- Did y'all have the "opportunity" to drive the mining road that is about 1/2 way up the side of the mine- that you can see in a couple of the 1st pics?

....cause that looks like it would have been fun.....and seriously intense.

I thought that to. But then I saw the huge dump trucks running on it so I figrued that it would be like a 2 lane hwy for a normal sized truck or Jeep.

OP - Nice pics man

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
I thought that to. But then I saw the huge dump trucks running on it so I figrued that it would be like a 2 lane hwy for a normal sized truck or Jeep.
Ah- I see now. I didn't even notice at first glance.

I would guess then, that they would also frown on 'thru-traffic'.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-18-2010, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Yeah...actually most of the mountain we were on was property of the mine. You are allowed to stay on that one road to go up to the overlook and thats it. None of the roads you can see in any of the pics are the road you can drive on. And yeah...some of those trucks are even more massive then the one you see on those roads. For example...in the pic where you see the large warehouse with the sign that says "Think Safety Work Safely"...right below the sign is one of the trucks you see all over the place. Rather large...but just to the left of the sign in front of the warehouse is another truck...about double if bigger the size of the other.

My dad used to work at a gold mine that was not this large but big enough. I remember standing next to one of those trucks as a kid with my dad. Wish I had the pictures but standing next to the tires...my dad being over six feet tall would barely reach the "BOTTOM" of the rim with the top of his head. Basically the tire itself would be about 18 feet tall. Then there is a truck on top of that which is probably larger than my 2 story 1800 square foot house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode