Darnell Creek with some new friends - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-11-2010, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Darnell Creek with some new friends

A little late in posting, but still posted. Pictures are limited because we were all having too good a time to stop and take pictures, but here are the few that made it to the scrapbook.

This was a trail on Darnell Creek Road near Millers Creek, NC. Although it's a light trail with few rocks, it's plenty fun for a family day of wheeling. There's a waterfall that you can hike up and the creek water is cool for hot summer days. There are a few mud holes and steep hills that we ventured on, but for the most part, it was mild.

We didn't take pictures of a large hill we climbed near the end of our day of wheeling, but that was challenging and fun.

2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited, 6-speed, White
1985 CJ-7, 4-speed, 258 I-6, 3" Springs, 33" BFG AT, Gunmental Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Granite Guru

Definitely looks like good times were had. How far of a track is that local from Raleigh?? I'd imagine the lady and I would have a decent time getting out of town and enjoying the day in the woods

Overall, how much time was spent offroad during you guy's trip? I guess I could hit up google and do some research but first hand feedback is so much better!!

ps - Great looking rigs as well! What's their specs? I know you said "mild" but that's subjective and I'm wondering how bad it would be to bring my two year old lil-man one along (he's a daredevil so he probably wouldn't mind Moab but just wondering, lol)? Hopefully I wouldn't have any issues out there after my mini mod-fest this week but I'll for sure be looking for some fun places to hit up to get outta the house

2010 Unlimited Rubi: 6 Speed, Nav, RK X Factor, Raceline Beadlocks, 37's, PSC Crushers, BFH, EvapSkid, etc.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-11-2010, 01:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

nice pics, looks like fun

I remember you from jkf, ncleman? or something like that right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-11-2010, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockafella View Post
Definitely looks like good times were had. How far of a track is that local from Raleigh?? I'd imagine the lady and I would have a decent time getting out of town and enjoying the day in the woods

Overall, how much time was spent offroad during you guy's trip? I guess I could hit up google and do some research but first hand feedback is so much better!!

ps - Great looking rigs as well! What's their specs? I know you said "mild" but that's subjective and I'm wondering how bad it would be to bring my two year old lil-man one along (he's a daredevil so he probably wouldn't mind Moab but just wondering, lol)? Hopefully I wouldn't have any issues out there after my mini mod-fest this week but I'll for sure be looking for some fun places to hit up to get outta the house
I own a cabin about 2 miles from Darnell Creek. It's about 3,000 ft elevation and about 1/2-mile from the Blue Ridge Parkway. We're close to the South Fork of the New River, where we go canoeing and tubing and near some zip line tours that take you down the mountain. It's a very nice place and the views are spectacular. Here's a view from our cabin's front porch:

Sunrise is amazing:

And the Fall foliage is spectacular:

The place is about 3 hours from Raleigh. The cabin is in Millers Creek, near West Jefferson, off the parkway's Sheets Gap Overlook.

We got together at our cabin, had lunch and drove to the trails at about 1:30pm. We were there until about 6pm, but that included several walking hikes up the waterfall and splashing around the creeks with the kids. You can easily make a weekend out of it and go canoeing the next day on the New River. It's like $35 to rent a canoe for the day at Zaloo's Canoes and they drop you off and pick you up if you want to.

It's a mild trail that can easily be done with a stock JK. I have a 3-year old and she loves the water. We often just go drive around, take a cooler with sandwiches and water and camp out for the afternoon on the creekbed. You're probably not going to find it on Google. It's not a "park" per se, it's just public land that local folks have been using for 20 years to play around in. It's one of the best-kept secrets in the area.

PM me if interested and I'll send you directions. We're heading there this coming weekend (July 16, 17 & 18). So if you want to hit the trails, I'd be happy to show you around. I'm sure we can pick up some other folks as well. You're welcome to make a pit stop at our place if you want to clean up or even shower afterwards. I just hope you like dogs, 'cuz our Great Dane usually comes with us:

My specs are in my sig. The Red Rock has a similar setup to mine and the white 2-door has a 2.5" BB with a 1.25" BL. We were all running 35s.

Hope to see you soon.

Alex

post #5 of 6 Old 07-11-2010, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
nice pics, looks like fun

I remember you from jkf, ncleman? or something like that right?
Yep. nclehmann is my username over at jkf. I remember you too. Nice to see you over here now. I feel like I'm a high school reunion over here. "Hey! I remember you! You had that yellow JK right? How've you been. Long time."

post #6 of 6 Old 07-12-2010, 08:55 AM
kcs
Wheeler

PM sent.....Kent

2015 Jeep Rubicon
Just keeping it stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode