How much fuel to carry on the Dusy? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-15-2016, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

How much fuel to carry on the Dusy?

2014 jkur on 35's auto etc. how much extra gas needs to be carried. I did not carry any extra fuel on the rubicon trail and had plenty in reserve when I filled up in taho. What say the experts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-20-2016, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

fugg am I going to have to go to gayolife to find some folks who have done the dusy? I am begging ya man I don't wanna go over there.....
post #3 of 14 Old 06-20-2016, 08:28 PM
Research, bro!

Garage

PM Vick (VKS). He's done it a bunch. I didn't think Dusy was open yet. A few of us are going to do it in September because of the elevation and snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-20-2016, 08:48 PM
VKS Fab

Yeah, I run it every year. I usually carry an extra 5 gallons. Its just enough to get me home, I do only live about 40 minutes from the trail-head though. I'd say its the minimum I'd recommend carrying to be on the safe side.

Handmade One At A Time
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
post #5 of 14 Old 06-21-2016, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks and another question how close to the trailhead is fuel available? We are hitting the trail August 22. Hoping it will not be crowded during the week days.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-22-2016, 02:26 PM
VKS Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadmt View Post
Thanks and another question how close to the trailhead is fuel available? We are hitting the trail August 22. Hoping it will not be crowded during the week days.
You can top off on the way up in Shaver Lake, that's about 10-15 miles from the trail head if you start at Courtright Lake and run it towards White Bark Vista (Kaiser Pass). There is also fuel in Huntington Lake, that's on the Kaiser Pass side of the trail. Its a small little station that I believe is still open, its seasonal however. But the main fuel station we use is the one in Shaver lake, it's a big shell station and their pumps are 24hr. The distance from Huntington to Shaver is only a 20 minute drive.

Your date sounds good. Just be sure to check with the Forest Service ((559) 855-5355) before you go to make sure the trail is open and check Sierra National Forest - Home here before you go. Dusy is usually not crowded at all, so you'll be good there.

It's a tough grueling trail that gets extremely remote, be sure to bring spare parts and tools. I've know guys that have broke around the half way point and its a full days hike back to civilization.

Handmade One At A Time

post #7 of 14 Old 06-22-2016, 02:39 PM
VKS Fab

You can check this site out too. This has the opening/closing dates. TRAILS | 4WD Club Of Fresno

Handmade One At A Time

post #8 of 14 Old 06-22-2016, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Vick View Post
You can top off on the way up in Shaver Lake, that's about 10-15 miles from the trail head if you start at Courtright Lake and run it towards White Bark Vista (Kaiser Pass). There is also fuel in Huntington Lake, that's on the Kaiser Pass side of the trail. Its a small little station that I believe is still open, its seasonal however. But the main fuel station we use is the one in Shaver lake, it's a big shell station and their pumps are 24hr. The distance from Huntington to Shaver is only a 20 minute drive.

Your date sounds good. Just be sure to check with the Forest Service ((559) 855-5355) before you go to make sure the trail is open and check Sierra National Forest - Home here before you go. Dusy is usually not crowded at all, so you'll be good there.

It's a tough grueling trail that gets extremely remote, be sure to bring spare parts and tools. I've know guys that have broke around the half way point and its a full days hike back to civilization.
many thanks
post #9 of 14 Old 07-05-2016, 02:29 PM
Granite Guru

i topped off in Shaver Lake and ran the trail over 3 days from Courtright to Kaiser Pass and was very low when I got back to the Shell station in Shaver Lake. Id definetly take 5gal extra. Im a 3.6l, auto, 5:13s.

Its not a fashion show
post #10 of 14 Old 08-17-2016, 08:36 PM

I'll be in there about the same time, but we are going from the Kaiser side into Ershim Lake on the 25th and coming out Sunday. We'll be in an 85 4Runner and a JKU if you cruise by us.
I went in on the Courtright side last weekend and my Rubicon acted up so I got rejected. The crazy thing I realized going up is that from the bottom of the 4lanes to the turn off to Swamp Lake after Dinkey, it is shorter than the Dusy/Ershim trail.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-17-2016, 09:01 PM

Hopefully we'll see you up there
Attached Images

post #12 of 14 Old 08-18-2016, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Cool we are going north to south.starting in Monday morning plan on two nights camping on the trail.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-22-2016, 12:41 PM
Wheeler

Garage
I just got back!

Epic trail, The scenery is spectacular. I filled up in Shaver and began the trail at the Dinky side, and ran it in three days. During the trail a few times I was nervous about fuel because of the extreme angles making the gauge read empty but when I finished I still had about 1/4 tank(Running 37's and 4.10's.) Plenty of fuel left over to get back to Shaver. I waited till Prather to fill up and still could have went a little longer. My Avatar pic is from Sat 8/20 coming through "Divorce Corners" on our way out. Killer trail!

15 JKUHR 37's, RE Long arm, Metalcloak 4.5 springs, Fox shocks, Mopar beadlocks.... Etc....

Last edited by WINspeed; 08-22-2016 at 12:46 PM.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-25-2016, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

gas ended up being a non issue I filled up at the little store/marina by the Kaiser pass turn off and had plenty of gas left. It should be called the dusty ershim. It was a great trail but I'm spoiled by Montana trail scenery as I really did not think scenery was great certainly not as nice as the rubicon. Only saw a few rigs, one group of toyotas at ershim lake and then a group of jeeps at Thompson lake. No camp fires allowed so that was a bummer. We heard some thunder but we were dry the Toyota guys said they were hit with hail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode