Rubicon trail late June - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-07-2016, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Rubicon trail late June

Hey everyone, I know it's pretty last minute but I'll be in California late June and early July and am interested in doing the rubicon. How long does it take, and anyone else wanna come, don't wanna run it alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-07-2016, 12:08 PM
JKO Addict!

It takes as long as you want to do it. I can run it in 4.5 hours if I don't have to wait on anyone. Many take 2,3.or 4 days and spend most of the time camping along the trail. In June you won't be alone on the trail and you might want to check for events going on when you are there. IF you hit the Marlin crawl or jeep jamboree it tends to move really slow.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-07-2016, 02:02 PM
Rock God

I did it in August and we spent two nights on the trail. We ran into only one other group of about 5 jeeps that we played leap frog with. 2 days seemed perfect. I am sure Dirtman has done the trail numerous times and has a very well built purpose rig which enables him to run it that fast. My guess is you will be much happier taking 2 days to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-07-2016, 02:38 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinzguy View Post
Hey everyone, I know it's pretty last minute but I'll be in California late June and early July and am interested in doing the rubicon. How long does it take, and anyone else wanna come, don't wanna run it alone.
I would be interested in going with if dates line up.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-07-2016, 03:05 PM
Granite Guru

Welcome to JKO.

Factor in the drive time to the trail head if you're entering from the West side. It's not unreasonable to do the trail in a day, but you have to be OK with that much wheeling time (which may not be agreeable to your copilot). And plan to pack your poop.

'13 JKU | 3" Synergy, 37" KO2
post #6 of 11 Old 06-07-2016, 03:11 PM
JKO Addict!

I ran it once with a tj on 35's with open diffs in 6.5 hours from Tahoe to Loon then the 3 hour drive back to Reno on the pavement. I really just like to run into the springs and spend some time there and run back out in a day because I just like to wheel and prefer to sleep in my bed.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #7 of 11 Old 06-07-2016, 04:59 PM
Wheeler

I have never run the trail, but am planning to next year with about 3 friends. If we do the trail alone as newbs, is the trail pretty predictable? Meaning we won't get sidetracked off the trail onto some other route? Thanks

3" EVO Enforcer, Fox 2.0 Shocks, 4.56 w/Truetracs, 35" Toyo M/T, Warn Zeon 10-S
post #8 of 11 Old 06-07-2016, 07:04 PM
Research, bro!

Garage

Quote:
Like dirtman said, you can run it as fast or as slow as you want - with 4x4 rock experience and a moderate build. Since it's your first time, I'd recommend camping at a minimum of one night. (I prefer Buck Island vs Rubicon Springs for one night - go swimming in the lake) (Remember if camping at RS, you need $10 or $15 per vechicle to camp.) Reason being isn't necessarily hard as trails can go, but it is so damn scenic. If a big, organized group isn't going through (check Pirate 4x4's Rubicon folder) on weekdays you'll likely see a handful of rigs, on the weekend you will run into a bunch more though hit or miss if you would consider it "crowded".

I'd go with you, but that timing you stated conflicts with a vacation and right before and after I am full up with work. Ask in NorCal section and see if anyone has the time to go.

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #9 of 11 Old 06-07-2016, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

I'm thinking about hitting it on the 29th and 30th, the 30th is my birthday and I'm hoping to spend it on the trail.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-07-2016, 07:17 PM
Research, bro!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepfan30 View Post
I have never run the trail, but am planning to next year with about 3 friends. If we do the trail alone as newbs, is the trail pretty predictable? Meaning we won't get sidetracked off the trail onto some other route? Thanks
Pretty much predictable, meaning, if you get off trail you will very shortly realize it to backup/turn around and find the main trail. The Loon and Wentworth Springs trailheads merge at a sign and it's very obvious to take the correct way towards Tahoe. Old Sluice (IMO the most challenging (fun!) part of the trail) has a stone marker next to it and you have the option to take an obvious route bypassing it. For the first time the Slabs can seem confusing, but enough tire marks, oil drips, small patches of dirt with tread marks that if you go slow enough you'll find path down.

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #11 of 11 Old 06-07-2016, 08:43 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
I'm thinking about hitting it on the 29th and 30th, the 30th is my birthday and I'm hoping to spend it on the trail.
Bummer I can't go during the week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode