Rubicon Fatality - Memorial Day Weekend 2016? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-30-2016, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Rubicon Fatality - Memorial Day Weekend 2016?

While coming off the Rubicon Trail yesterday afternoon, we saw a crashed jeep at Ellis Creek. The overall Jeep looked ok but the windshield was completely shattered and a Sheriff had one person isolated and was asking questions.

Later on when we were airing up at the Chalet, a fellow jeeper asked if we had heard someone died at Ellis Creek last night. We had not heard, but apparently the jeep we saw was the jeep that crashed.

The person who gave us the update was told the crash happened around 3am PDT (assuming the morning May 29th) and it occurred at Ellis Creek. Ellis Creek seems like a fairly safe area with no steep drops or anything, so not sure where the person could have got into trouble.

We did see a CHP helicopter leaving the Chalet just after we arrived to air up our tires - this was around 2pm I think. I searched some sites but have not found any details related to accident. Hopefully, there was no fatality.

Last edited by jk12blk; 05-30-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-30-2016, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Just found a thread on Pirate4x4 under chit chat. My buddy who is a fireman also just confirmed there was a fatality and he heard it occurred around 4am at Ellis Creek. Super sad.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-31-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk12blk View Post
While coming off the Rubicon Trail yesterday afternoon, we saw a crashed jeep at Ellis Creek. The overall Jeep looked ok but the windshield was completely shattered and a Sheriff had one person isolated and was asking questions.

Later on when we were airing up at the Chalet, a fellow jeeper asked if we had heard someone died at Ellis Creek last night. We had not heard, but apparently the jeep we saw was the jeep that crashed.

The person who gave us the update was told the crash happened around 3am PDT (assuming the morning May 29th) and it occurred at Ellis Creek. Ellis Creek seems like a fairly safe area with no steep drops or anything, so not sure where the person could have got into trouble.

We did see a CHP helicopter leaving the Chalet just after we arrived to air up our tires - this was around 2pm I think. I searched some sites but have not found any details related to accident. Hopefully, there was no fatality.
The roll over was just before 2 am, just east of Ellis creek.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-31-2016, 04:45 PM
Granite Guru

Sad to hear, regardless of the cause.

Any other details? Was it a JK? Might be something to be learned from pictures, as a slow roll over is what most of us are likely to encounter. There were pictures from a roll over not long ago of collapsed rear tubes that was enlightening.

'13 JKU | 3" Synergy, 37" KO2
post #5 of 14 Old 05-31-2016, 05:31 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockwell View Post
Sad to hear, regardless of the cause.
Agreed. Sad, and most likely preventable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockwell View Post
Any other details? . . . Might be something to be learned . . .
What I gathered from the thread on Pirate is that the driver was not wearing a seat belt.

Regardless of any vehicle driving or design lessons to be learned,
lesson #1 is: USE YOUR SAFETY EQUIPMENT!

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #6 of 14 Old 06-01-2016, 12:07 PM

always be sure to wear your seat belt.... most of the fatalities i've seen up there have been from people forgetting to put there seat belts on... during a roll over always hang on, never ever put your hand out the window...
post #7 of 14 Old 06-03-2016, 10:31 AM
Rock God

Very sad and preventable. My prayers go to the family and friends. It does piss me off that people still do not wear seat belt wheeling...ifthey do not care about themselves, think about the families and friends that will be picking up teh pieces (literally).

Definitely sad and pissed....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 14 Old 06-03-2016, 10:43 PM
Granite Guru

Ok so this is what happened... Approximately 1:30am Sunday I hear someone frantically yelling Mark,"Mark with the ham radio " i was sleeping so i was a little out of it..so I said hold on be right there. I came out of my tent and this guy was freaking out saying we need a life flight my friend rolled his jeep.. Can you get help?isaid I'll try so I got on the radio and called out with no response so he jumped in his jeep to go get help. A few minutes later someone else was calling me for help so I tried calling out again finally someone reported back and was able to reach someone with a land line after 45 minutes or so a sheriff was supposed to meet at the fireroad gate in one hour (life flight was called off being he was deciesed and the passenger was declining medical treatment. Plus there wasn't anywhere close to land. So a hour passed by no help arrived so I went to bed there was nothing else i could do. About 10:30-11:00 the sherriff came with the jeep. The reason for being late was the fireroad was snowed in on the other side. I'm pretty sure alcohol played a huge role and not wearing his seat belt was the cause( he was pretty lit around 6-7pm earlier) so yes it was sad and the next time you tell yourself I'm just cruising on a flat road that was what he was doing when he decided to turn around... Here is a perfect example for getting your ham license.. As for the passenger he seemed ok the next morning and he was wearing his belt. Sorry for the long story just giving the facts...

2010 jk 2dr 3.5 in lift synergy c/arms synergy high steer RPM fab tierod Dynatrac pro rock front 5:13s cooper stt 37s eaton e locker adv adapters rubicrawler adams driveshafts bilsteins. Bestop trektop pro poisen spyder tire carrier VKS stubby rear bumper VKS fab stubby front. Pure jeep sliders yaesu ftm400. Shit I forgot the rest... KK6WIT
post #9 of 14 Old 06-04-2016, 07:03 AM
Rock God

Garage

This just popped up on my facebook page today...

The post was from May 30... So very sad.

This is the hardest thing to post, in the early morning on Sunday Justin was involved in a roll over on the Rubicon trail unfortunately he wasn't wearing his seat belt and didn't survive, just a simple mistake turned our whole world upside down, I loved this man more then anything, we were getting married this summer on the trail, he worked his ass off to give us everything and more he was the best Father and step father I could wish for, I am grateful for 10 yrs of being by your side, RIP babe I love you, I'm sure your kickin it with the old man having some beer. Please feel free to share any memory's with us

Tammy
post #10 of 14 Old 06-04-2016, 08:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Very sad to read this.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-04-2016, 11:58 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

It's a shame that no one stopped him from going.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #12 of 14 Old 06-04-2016, 12:50 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
It's a shame that no one stopped him from going.
There was more to the story he wasn't in our group he was friends of friends in the camp we were at and out of respect im leaving the drama that happened earlier out.... I didn't know him. Very sad and looks bad (just more ammo for people trying to shut places like this down...) by the looks of his rig and talking to his friends he was a experienced wheeler. Once again very sad.

2010 jk 2dr 3.5 in lift synergy c/arms synergy high steer RPM fab tierod Dynatrac pro rock front 5:13s cooper stt 37s eaton e locker adv adapters rubicrawler adams driveshafts bilsteins. Bestop trektop pro poisen spyder tire carrier VKS stubby rear bumper VKS fab stubby front. Pure jeep sliders yaesu ftm400. Shit I forgot the rest... KK6WIT
post #13 of 14 Old 06-04-2016, 01:05 PM

My cousin was in an accident. She was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected from the vehicle which caught on fire. Since then she has refused to wear a seat belt. My nephew is a deputy sheriff and tells me about many people not wearing a seat belt who were ejected and killed. He has never seen an accident where a seat belt contributed to a fatality.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-04-2016, 10:03 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidalWave View Post
My cousin was in an accident. She was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected from the vehicle which caught on fire. Since then she has refused to wear a seat belt. My nephew is a deputy sheriff and tells me about many people not wearing a seat belt who were ejected and killed. He has never seen an accident where a seat belt contributed to a fatality.
Did you read the post? He WAS NOT wearing his seatbelt! Or he probably would of walked away with a few cuts/bruises

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode