Exploring Escalante, UT and beyond! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-17-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Exploring Escalante, UT and beyond!

My wife and I had a chance for a 3 day weekend with Presidents Day and since it was also Valentines Day on Sunday we decided to make a fun, just-the-2-of-us trip. Rather than camp like we'd normally do, we opted for a hotel with a comfy bed and hot shower. We headed to Escalante, Utah early on Friday morning, stopping in Hanksville to check out the Wolverton Mill at the BLM office. We made the drive thru Torrey, over the 9,500' pass on Highway 12 into Boulder and turned off at the Lower Calf Creek Falls parking lot to start our hiking. This hike is easy, but over 6 miles round trip... I feel like we should have stretched, as we were pretty sore on the way back.

The weather was perfect, mid to high 50's and plenty of sun! It was a bit chilly in the shade with all the snow and even more so at the waterfall itself! There was a pretty good wind coming off the Falls and there was a lot of mist in the air, making it the coldest part of the hike. I was wishing I had brought my jacket along at that point!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
['12 JKUR | Automatic | 3" TeraFlex Outback Suspension, Alpine long arms, Falcon shocks | 35" BFG KO2's | Warn Zeon 8 | Truck-Lite Headlights and Rigid D2's]

It's hard to beat a full tank of fuel and a desire for adventure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-17-2016, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

The 2nd day took us down the Hole in the Rock Road 26 miles, to the Dry Fork of Coyote Gulch and a few slot canyons; the Dry Fork Narrows, Spooky and Peak-a-boo. Getting to them required descending some steep, treacherous snow & ice covered slickrock. We decided to pass on Brimstone, as it's very technical and has some places with only 8" gaps!! The slot canyons were the highlight of the trip for me! The trail directions we used recommended going up Spooky first, as to avoid climbing the 25' entrance into Peak-a-boo. This also meant we had to scramble up 2, near vertical 10' climbs. It wasn't too hard for me being a lanky 6' 4" tall, but my shorter wife had some challenges. There were many places in Spooky that we had to turn sideways, side-step and still scrape ourselves against the rock as we passed by! Peak-a-boo had some neat arches and holes to crawl thru, then eventually the 25' drop at the exit. Both those were a blast! The Dry Fork Narrows were a bit of a letdown after the first 2! I believe we did 4 miles on Sunday, but even that short hike it was a workout!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
['12 JKUR | Automatic | 3" TeraFlex Outback Suspension, Alpine long arms, Falcon shocks | 35" BFG KO2's | Warn Zeon 8 | Truck-Lite Headlights and Rigid D2's]

post #3 of 10 Old 02-17-2016, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-17-2016, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

The 3rd day we decided to take a break from hiking and spend some time in the Jeep... we decided to drive the Hole in the Rock Road down to the end, which is 62 miles one way! We lowered the tire pressure to 23 PSI for a better ride and hit the dirt, covering ground quickly. We stopped at Dance Hall Rock, where the Mormon pioneers threw a 1 1/2 month long party!

It took us about 2 1/2 hours to get to the end and the result was worth it! I've been on the Hole in the Rock Trail on the other side, so it was nice to tie both sides together finally! Seeing this gap and decent down to the lake below makes one really respect the massive effort they put in!

I hiked down about 1/3 of the way and it was crazy-steep, I can't imagine what it looked like when the Mormon pioneers dropped their 26 wagons down!

After awhile, we headed North, then into town for air, gas and fuel then headed home!

post #5 of 10 Old 02-18-2016, 12:47 AM
Granite Guru

Just a perfect get away with your wifey, great time! Love all those scenery and the hike
post #6 of 10 Old 02-18-2016, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryjk View Post
Just a perfect get away with your wifey, great time! Love all those scenery and the hike
Thanks for the comments, it was a great time!

post #7 of 10 Old 02-18-2016, 08:21 PM
Granite Guru

I have wanted to run Hole in the Rock for a long time, thanks for the pics and details! One of these days I'll do it!
post #8 of 10 Old 02-23-2016, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RkyMtnJK View Post
I have wanted to run Hole in the Rock for a long time, thanks for the pics and details! One of these days I'll do it!
Remember, there are 2 sides to Hole in the Rock... the Road and the Trail. The Road is what we did, it's an easy but long 2WD drive that can be done in a handful of hours. The Hole in the Rock Trail is much more difficult & technical and takes 2 days! I've done both, they're each very scenic but very different... doing both is the best way to go!

post #9 of 10 Old 02-23-2016, 10:57 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RkyMtnJK View Post
I plan on doing the Hole In The Rock Trail this Oct. I have the 8th thru the 16 off and will be going during that time frame. This report has been very inspiring

16 JKU Sport
RK 3.5 X Factor, UD 60's, Atlas T Case 4.3:1,
TR Bead locks with Toyo Open Country MT's,
VKS Bumpers and Sliders. EVO Skins,
PSC Hydro on Synergy Steering,
Fox Shocks and Bumps
"40's Baby!"
2011 JKU RUBI "SOLD"
post #10 of 10 Old 02-24-2016, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckMRN View Post
I plan on doing the Hole In The Rock Trail this Oct. I have the 8th thru the 16 off and will be going during that time frame. This report has been very inspiring
October will be the perfect time to be out there!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode