T-33A Plane Crash trail - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 07-19-2008, 09:41 PM
Alec W

T-33A Plane Crash trail

I found a link for this trail a while ago so we did this trail (and 3 others today). This thing crashed when I was 1! I found it interesting that so much was still there.

Two people were killed in the crash that happened on Jule 27th, 1965. It was a T-33A jet trainer, and the pilot was a very experienced Air Force Major named Jay Currie. First Lieutenant Donald Darby was riding along as a technical observer. They were flying from Buckley Field to California, and Major Currie was viewing some property he owned in Colorado, flying at 13,000 feet.

The reasons for the crash are not known. He was told to go to 17,000 feet by Air Traffic Control, but then contact was lost. It is known that he was flying slowly, there were no technical issues with the plane, and neither of the pilots attempted to eject from the plane. There were thunderstorms reported in the area, which may have contributed to the crash.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Openly Hostile

That's crazy! I cannot believe the military didn't clean it up.

Jason
post #3 of 15 Old 07-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Alec W

BTW, it's an ugly trail system. No need to go there

Last edited by Alec W; 07-19-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Wheeler

That's pretty cool. Surprising that the military never cleaned it up.

Hopefully I can get out next weekend if I get my knee to ever move again.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

the composition and scenery in your pictures are freakinG (with a capital G) awesome. THAT pic should be on the front of some authentic Jeep lit/ mag, whatever...w/ a disclaimer at the bottom "do not attempt"
post #6 of 15 Old 07-20-2008, 09:44 AM
Alec W

post #7 of 15 Old 07-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Rock God

Cool to see you guys up there... We decided not to stay when we saw some storms moving in with lightning.. Came home and grilled and made smores in the kitchen.. HAHA.. Its nice to only be 45 mins from there..

couple pics of that day..

Lifted by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, JKS DC's, Skid Row Protected,
ProComp 7105, Kevlar MTR's,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Switchblade rear, Red Rock Fab stinger etc...

Last edited by airric00; 07-20-2008 at 04:45 PM.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-20-2008, 07:30 PM
gcg

It is really strange that the crash wasn't cleaned up. The T-33 is a beautiful plane - always been one of my favorites.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Rock God

Every time you post I get the itch to get out of SoCal and move to Colorado... and then I remember your baseball team is terrible.

Dirty Minion #6
post #10 of 15 Old 07-22-2008, 09:22 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to vegasjeep

So my mothers husband works for the FAA and is in control of something at the Dulles DC airport relating to safety. I know anything that goes on there goes through him as far as plane related. So I forwarded these pics to him cause he is always interested in things like this. Here is what he had to say

Quote:
I’m sure there are a lot of old crash sights in that part of the country –. It appears to have been a partially control crash landing – concentrated wreckage with no resulting fire – this is a strong indicator of fuel exhaustion situation or slow flight impact – from the color (safety orange) of the paint remaining on the exterior, the type of aircraft and year of the incident would lead one to believe that it may have been a training flight. These clues lead one to the unsubstantiated conclusion of a training flight experiencing a flame-out at low altitude - no time to recover or eject. They also may have been at a lower altitude than reported – common error when doing “sight seeing” which may have caused the PIC (pilot in command) to become fixated on things outside the ****pit and lost situational awareness then stalled the aircraft – while attempting to recover by going to high throttle position to quickly flaming out the engine. This is a known operating characteristic of the T-33A . This aircraft was a low power training jet used to transition pilots from prop to jets.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-22-2008, 10:26 AM
-T-
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayton1999 View Post
Every time you post I get the itch to get out of SoCal and move to Colorado... and then I remember your baseball team is terrible.
I agree with you on the Colorado part, dont have enough experience to talk about our baseballs teams.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Alec W

Airric, how did you get altitude to show up your mygig?
post #13 of 15 Old 07-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to vegasjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Airric, how did you get altitude to show up your mygig?
I think when you go in and go to "where am i now" it shows that screen. i found it once but forgot now.. LOL
post #14 of 15 Old 07-23-2008, 01:41 PM
Rock God

yep exactly... Just goto where I am from the nav screen. Just wish it showed your speed as well..

Lifted by
, JKS DC's, Skid Row Protected,
ProComp 7105, Kevlar MTR's,
Switchblade rear, Red Rock Fab stinger etc...

post #15 of 15 Old 07-24-2008, 05:44 AM

Yeppers...too low...too slow...over rotated in a panic...stalled...plop...would have been more dignified if it was a high speed crash and burn...RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode