Slickrock and... snow? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-24-2015, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Slickrock and... snow?

We live 90 min from Moab, so last weekend we headed to Moab. We first hit to Dome Plateau and ran the part of the trail... I wanted to take it easy and see how it worked, then test out the suspension on the fast dirt roads. Next up we headed over to Hells Revenge and even ran the optional Hells Gate, with a little trouble. I should have aired down further... and had both lockers on.

After playing on Hells Revenge we headed over to the Moab Rim. It's been years since I've been up the Rim and my wife never has... the JKU walked right up everything!

Here's some pics from the day...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-24-2015, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

And this weekend we went for something totally different. With this Winter's dismal snow pack and warm Spring (well, it was warm a few weeks ago) I was thinking that perhaps the San Juan mountain trails would be partly open. I had heard reports that the county guys had been working on the passes with their equipment and within the last month and that they had a good start on Engineer Pass. Now I wasn't expecting to make it OVER any passes, but at least drive on some of the trails. I wanted to play in the snow and see how the trails were melting... turns out they weren't! Yankee Boy basin wasn't really accessible, the dozer had stopped clearing snow at the bathrooms. Imogene Pass wasn't plowed past the bridge and the Alpine Loop was still snowed in at one of the big switchbacks! Luckily Corkscrew had been bulldozed recently and even though there was fresh snow, it wasn't bad. We turned back around 11k feet elevation and called that good enough. It was beautiful down there, snow, hail and rain... with a lot of runoff and mud. Love exploring the San Juans this time of year!

I was very impressed with how well those BFG KO2 tires stuck in the snow, I kept waiting for them to slip and they never did... even on the steepest parts of the snow-covered road! I'm very happy with the spring rate of the Outback Suspension springs from TeraFlex, they're firm but in control. I think the JKU will only ride better loaded up with gear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
['12 JKUR | Automatic | 3" TeraFlex Outback Suspension, Alpine long arms, Falcon shocks | 35" BFG KO2's | Warn Zeon 8 | Truck-Lite Headlights and Rigid D2's]

It's hard to beat a full tank of fuel and a desire for adventure!

Last edited by [email protected]; 05-24-2015 at 08:05 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-25-2015, 02:46 AM
Wheeler

Nice! Looks like you and your wife had fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-25-2015, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishbowler View Post
Nice! Looks like you and your wife had fun.
We did, it was fun to get out back to back in very different places. And the Jeep has done great everywhere, even with a few hours worth of driving to get there & back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
['12 JKUR | Automatic | 3" TeraFlex Outback Suspension, Alpine long arms, Falcon shocks | 35" BFG KO2's | Warn Zeon 8 | Truck-Lite Headlights and Rigid D2's]

post #5 of 6 Old 05-25-2015, 12:39 PM

I was wondering how bad the San Juans had gotten hit recently..... Thanks for saving me a drive, Greg. Its back to Moab for another month or so till it melts down there.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-25-2015, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsonkrawler View Post
I was wondering how bad the San Juans had gotten hit recently..... Thanks for saving me a drive, Greg. Its back to Moab for another month or so till it melts down there.
Yep, good choice... as long as you can avoid the mud in Moab!

I would imagine once it starts getting warmer in the valleys again, it won't be long before there is a good deal of runoff in the San Juans and the trails will open up. The county guys in the equipment have been working hard at cracking the trails open, a little warmth and they'll be good to go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode