How to use a bolt extractor - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-14-2013, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

How to use a bolt extractor

I hate to ask it, but I sheered the head off a bolt and now I need to pull it out. I have a crappy bolt extractor set from autozone, but it has no directions. I have some tapered bits and some non tapered bits. any ideas on what I have to do to pull this bolt out? It has plenty of anti-seize on it, so it should come out easily enough, but its in the hole a good 1/4 or so, so its pretty deep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Wheeler

pics of the said tool?

Normally you drill a pilot hole, then you use that bit you have on reverse and it should pull it out
post #3 of 16 Old 07-14-2013, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Wheeler

post #5 of 16 Old 07-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Granite Guru

What Mikey said. Use the gold bit to drill a hole, then use the silver bit to the right of the gold bit to remove the bolt. Run the drill in reverse with the silver bit.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-14-2013, 05:10 PM
Granite Guru

What's the largest and hardest piece of hardware you've removed with one of those?
post #7 of 16 Old 07-14-2013, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

awesome cool. do I want to run the gold in reverse or forward?
post #8 of 16 Old 07-14-2013, 05:15 PM
Wheeler

I have removed lags out of door frames with it.

I have other sizes then the ones they listed too.

Up to grade 8 bolts so it says.

Literally my favorite tool.

Also works great on security bits.lol
post #9 of 16 Old 07-14-2013, 05:17 PM
A JKO DICK

Garage

That should work fine I have the snap-on version. The drill bits should be reverse bits, you run the drill in reverse to make the hole, then you thread the extractor in the hole the same way, turning it counter clockwise to remove the bolt. As the extractor is tightened into the bolt it turns the bolt out. If the bolt is not stuck it usually comes out when you are drilling the hole.

Good luck and don't forget to bleed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #10 of 16 Old 07-14-2013, 06:50 PM
Granite Guru

I did not have much luck with the Grabbit on bolts with the head sheared off.
post #11 of 16 Old 07-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj jk View Post
I did not have much luck with the Grabbit on bolts with the head sheared off.
Depends on the size of the bolts. I bought the 10 piece set, and there is nothing that i have come across it wont take out.

except an exhaust stuf on an ironhead
post #12 of 16 Old 07-14-2013, 08:40 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
That should work fine I have the snap-on version. The drill bits should be reverse bits, you run the drill in reverse to make the hole, then you thread the extractor in the hole the same way, turning it counter clockwise to remove the bolt. As the extractor is tightened into the bolt it turns the bolt out. If the bolt is not stuck it usually comes out when you are drilling the hole.

Good luck and don't forget to bleed.

The flutes on the drill bits in the product picture look like normal drill bits, not reversed.

Put the point of the bit down. Whichever direction the sharp edges of the tip of the bit will bite in is the direction you want to turn it. Being it's made for bolt removal, it should be reverse, doesn't make sense to turn the bit/bolt in a tightening direction to drill a pilot hole, but stranger things have happened.
post #13 of 16 Old 07-15-2013, 03:59 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneck View Post
I hate to ask it, but I sheered the head off a bolt and now I need to pull it out. I have a crappy bolt extractor set from autozone, but it has no directions. I have some tapered bits and some non tapered bits. any ideas on what I have to do to pull this bolt out? It has plenty of anti-seize on it, so it should come out easily enough, but its in the hole a good 1/4 or so, so its pretty deep.
Drill hole in broken bolt. Hammer in correct size "easy out". Get vice grips on the easy out and turn. Assuming the bolt is a right hand thread... Turn the easy out as if you were loosening the bolt (this makes the reverse threaded easy out tighten). If the bolt is not frozen in (should not be as you said you used anti sieze) then it should come right out. Put removed bolt in a vice or grab with pliers and remove the easy out. Drilling the right sized hole is very important. If you did not have anti sieze on the threads I would recommend soaking it in Kroil or PB Blaster and heating it prior to attempting to remove. Keep in mind that most of the easy outs are very hard but brittle. Be careful how much muscle you give it.

How did the bolt head shear off?
post #14 of 16 Old 07-15-2013, 04:14 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

The ones Sneck has are not my favorite either, but he asked how to use them, not for other suggestions. I can see the Grabits working well in wood, but not so much for metal. Being able to get a wrench on something and apply slow, steady torque with my hands always seems to work best. My favorite are another from Snap-on. Here is a picture. I'm sure someone other than Snap-on makes them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #15 of 16 Old 07-15-2013, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall View Post
Drill hole in broken bolt. Hammer in correct size "easy out". Get vice grips on the easy out and turn. Assuming the bolt is a right hand thread... Turn the easy out as if you were loosening the bolt (this makes the reverse threaded easy out tighten). If the bolt is not frozen in (should not be as you said you used anti sieze) then it should come right out. Put removed bolt in a vice or grab with pliers and remove the easy out. Drilling the right sized hole is very important. If you did not have anti sieze on the threads I would recommend soaking it in Kroil or PB Blaster and heating it prior to attempting to remove. Keep in mind that most of the easy outs are very hard but brittle. Be careful how much muscle you give it.

How did the bolt head shear off?
long day, last bolt for the install, just wasn't paying attention and over tightened it. sucks, was so close to being done!

and yeah I appreciate the suggestions, I had picked up the set I have a few months back as a "just in case", so if it turns out to suck, ill look into some of the ones suggested here
post #16 of 16 Old 07-15-2013, 08:09 AM
Rock God

left hand drill bits work well too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode