Harbor Freight Ball Joint Tool? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 11-26-2012, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Harbor Freight Ball Joint Tool?

Have you guys been successful using the HF ball joint tool on your JK? Any other adapters/spacers needed to get the job done?

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-...kit-38335.html

or

http://www.harborfreight.com/ball-jo...cles-4065.html

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 11-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Rock God

Garage

Mine is the 4X4 kit.

I never seem to have the right cup for pressing the upper bj in.

I bent the c-clamp in the kit out of my own stupidity....trying to press the lower bj out and was just pressing it in more....

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
post #3 of 33 Old 11-26-2012, 01:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Used the 4wd tool/spacers and got it done-made a special spacer w an angle to it to get the upper in on one side after doing the other side w what came w it. U can use washers or a castle nut too but they are a pita...

Is this thing on?

www.4x4s-pod.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 11-26-2012, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bullitt View Post
Mine is the 4X4 kit.

I never seem to have the right cup for pressing the upper bj in.

I bent the c-clamp in the kit out of my own stupidity....trying to press the lower bj out and was just pressing it in more....
I remember the cup issue on the upper, but couldn't remember what would have fixed the issue.

I've read people tearing them up, I've also read that using an impact on them seems to work best. Keep things moving without crazy torque being applied to the tool.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #5 of 33 Old 11-26-2012, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fklein6768 View Post
Used the 4wd tool/spacers and got it done-made a special spacer w an angle to it to get the upper in on one side after doing the other side w what came w it. U can use washers or a castle nut too but they are a pita...

Is this thing on?

Any pics?

post #6 of 33 Old 11-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Rock God

Garage

I will say the Poly BJs were a hell of a lot easier to put in that those POS Crowns...

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
post #7 of 33 Old 11-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Spray WD-40 or better white lithium grease on the screw before you start. I think my kit now has done about 8 sets total and still going strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #8 of 33 Old 11-26-2012, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Spray WD-40 or better white lithium grease on the screw before you start. I think my kit now has done about 8 sets total and still going strong.

I usually anti-seize every threaded tool I have. A little lube goes a long way!

post #9 of 33 Old 11-26-2012, 02:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have one and it worked good with my Tear 44 and Poly ball joints.

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #10 of 33 Old 11-26-2012, 02:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Doc' s videos give step by step instructions including the spacer. I linked them for somebody on the club forum. I'll look later if you haven't got all the answers you need and post the links back here.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #11 of 33 Old 11-26-2012, 04:13 PM
JKO Addict!

I have the first set you linked and this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-piec...set-66958.html

With these, I have everything I need to get the job done. I've done my JKs a few times and a handful of other JKs along with quite a few TJs as well. With the adapter kit you'll never be without a spacer you need and it makes the job much simpler.

I also agree on the antiseize. I put a shit ton on my ball joints when installing new ones. They slide in much easier during install, and when they need replaced it's much simpler too. For reference, I did a Poly install in a JK without antiseize (or any lube for that matter) once and those bastards were almost harder to press in than the rusty ones were coming out. They must be slightly over sized compared to the stockers. However, with antiseize on them, they press in very nicely.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #12 of 33 Old 11-26-2012, 04:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I agree with this guy ^^^. I used his tools and idea on anti seize, worked very nice.
post #13 of 33 Old 11-26-2012, 05:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Any pics?
Nothing fancy-1-1/4" pipe. About 1-7/8" high ground down at a slight angle to about 1-5/8" on the low side. Worked perfect.

Hello kitty reference for doc

Is this thing on?

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #14 of 33 Old 11-29-2012, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks for the pic, is that 1-1/4" ID or OD pipe?

post #15 of 33 Old 11-29-2012, 06:29 PM
JKO Addict!

OD

Is this thing on?

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #16 of 33 Old 11-29-2012, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Is the rust and grime purely optional, or is it the key to the success of this specially fabricated tool?

post #17 of 33 Old 11-29-2012, 07:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

anti-seize is mans second best friend!
post #18 of 33 Old 11-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I have it and have used it many times without issue. Put in a full set of ball joints in the JK and even used it on a Toyota to change out a set of uniballs.

[
post #19 of 33 Old 11-29-2012, 07:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I bought the 4x4 kit and it worked but was a PITA... even after the Doc-ucation video.

The fabbed spacer would make the job much easier, that part - getting the space right with the shit supplied in the kit -sucked bawlz (my first try, middle of summer, in the garage... added to the overall experience). For sure doable... especially with your background.

I am going to fab up a spacer for the next time I need it.
post #20 of 33 Old 11-30-2012, 04:19 PM
JKO Addict!

We use Jim's (Uncle Sams Misguided Child) set for all our change outs here. We have done a lot of mods to the kit and added various spacers of 1" pipe cut to 1" lengths (we have extras in the box in case they bend or break) and we have ground down the smaller tube adapter for the upper installation so it sits more squarely on the underside of the upper knuckle while pressing in the upper BJ.

We also welded a large dia washer on top of one of the caps to keep the clamp from slipping off too during reinstallation. This really helps a lot especially if your clamp wants to keep sliding off!

We also have a few standard 1/2" washers to use on the lower BJ removal.

We start out by cleaning the mounting holes with emery cloth or a dremel tool then grease the new BJ's well before putting them in. We then use an impact wrench to make the job way easier and faster.

With JKennedy's help, we have ball joint R&R's down to a stressless 1hr job.
Attached Images

post #21 of 33 Old 11-30-2012, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Awesome, thanks for all the pics guys.

post #22 of 33 Old 11-30-2012, 07:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've even used a a piece of 5/16 key stock from one of my fire pump parts kit to keep the cups from sliding out.
post #23 of 33 Old 12-01-2012, 02:19 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I have that kit and used last fall when I replaced my ball joints. Its a pain that you have to come up with the washers and pipe spacer but once you have that its pretty easy.

Still have it if you need it.

Vid on using this kit to do the job... I know that you know all of this but it may be helpful to others
Jeep JK Ball Joint Installation - Part 1 of 2 Removal - YouTube
Jeep JK Ball Joint Installation - Part 2 of 2 Install - YouTube

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 12-01-2012 at 02:34 AM.
post #24 of 33 Old 12-03-2012, 01:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I remember the cup issue on the upper, but couldn't remember what would have fixed the issue.

I've read people tearing them up, I've also read that using an impact on them seems to work best. Keep things moving without crazy torque being applied to the tool.
We used the 4x4 kit and an airgun on mine. Just needed a large socket to use as a spacer and a long as breaker bar to finish up each balljoint.

While it was impossible to get them to seat straight initially, they would eventually snap into place.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #25 of 33 Old 01-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Granite Guru

I have done a few JK and my WJ twice, I do grease the threads everything I use it and it is still working fine but I do see the threads wearing out.

Ruben

07 JK Rubicon - Banks Cold air intake and Monster exhaust - ARB front and rear bumpers - Warn 9.5Ti - OME 4inch JK Lift - 33inch MTZ

01 Grand Cherokee - inline 6 - Jeep Hitch Receiver - Jeep Fog-Light kit - Jeep Bug Deflector - Jeep Wind Deflector - Jeep Tow Hooks - Jeep Sub-woofer - OME 1 1/2 coils - Dynomax 2 1/2 Cat back - Running 265 75 16 - K&N air Filter and a modified air box

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode