What to carry tools in? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 08-29-2012, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

What to carry tools in?

What are you guys carrying your tools in on the trail? I carry mine in the extra bin under the back floor in the "trunk" but have outgrown that small storage. I'm looking at tool bags but wondered if any of you would recommend a tool box with drawers or a bag. What are y'all using?

Sent from my iPhone wishing I was wheeling

SOLD:
2012 Flame Red JKUR- Manual w/ 4.10s & Nav
JCR Front Pre-runner & Rear Dagger, RK 2.5" Flex System, Bilstein 5100s, Teraflex Exhaust Spacers, Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.5x17 Tires, Black ATX Slot 17x9 Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-29-2012, 10:24 PM
JKowners Vendor

Heavy duty soft sided tool bags secured in the back under a homemade version of the Tuffy security deck lid.
post #3 of 22 Old 08-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Rock God

A backpack leftover from college
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 08-29-2012, 10:28 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I have two 14" heavy duty Husky bags, matching. They work great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #5 of 22 Old 08-29-2012, 10:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Milsurp tanker bags

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #6 of 22 Old 08-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

This Craftsman was the perfect fit... Tons of room for a box that's only 8.5" deep!

I also have a tool bag that serves well when the toolbox is out.
Attached Images

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #7 of 22 Old 08-29-2012, 11:10 PM
Banned

I took an old pair of cargo pants that needed to become shorts due to seriously frayed cuffs and after cutting off the bottom of the leg, decided to make tool pouches out of em. Sewed the end shut with fishing line and ran a piece of manilla rope through the old cuff. Holds a surprising amount of shit in there. All my torx bits, assorted metric crescent wrenches, jumper cables, gloves, pliers, plug kit and a few other things I might be forgetting.

Been using it for nearly 2 years. Still going like a champ and I have a spare in the basement for when it eventually shits the bed.

Took maybe 20 minutes to rig it up.

post #8 of 22 Old 08-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Research, bro!

Garage

Dan, you can sew?!? Bravo and creatively CR points to you, those pants would have long been in the trash at my house.

OP, not being that creative as ^^ I got this.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/husky-1...-81631n09.html

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #9 of 22 Old 08-29-2012, 11:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Pretty much everything needed to take a Jeep apart, lol.
and a tool bag for the impact wrench and sockets.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #10 of 22 Old 08-30-2012, 03:34 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I have a Craftsman Mechanics Tool set that came in a box that fits perfectly under the passenger seat. I also have a Smittybilt Taligate cover that has really helped empty out my storage compartment.

RK 2.5" Flex - Body Armor Front Bumper - Superwinch 8500 lb - Rigid Industries Dually Flood Lights and Diffused Reverse Light - G2 Gear & Axle Diff Covers - Dynomax Exhaust - Drake Off-Road Billet Knobs - Oliver's Driveshafts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
Coming to JKO to get educated on politics is like a marathoner watching the Special Olympics to get technique pointers.
post #11 of 22 Old 08-30-2012, 03:51 AM
JKO Addict!

We use a tool bag stuffed behind the drivers seat in our two door. Don't even know it's there

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #12 of 22 Old 08-30-2012, 04:30 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Soft bag from RCV. Before that soft bag from Harbor Freight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #13 of 22 Old 08-30-2012, 09:25 AM
JKowners Vendor

My neighbor was a Ridgid Tool Rep. I got a few bags from him that were meant for power tools but they work great. I am direct with CLC if you want anything from them hit me up. They have some really nice stuff.

"The best beer cooler in the world will always be the edge of your favorite river."
post #14 of 22 Old 08-31-2012, 11:52 AM
Rock God

Soft sided bag. I do have smaller zip canvas bags inside to oragnize stuff. One for screwdrivers, one for impact sockets and extensions, and one for wrenches.
post #15 of 22 Old 08-31-2012, 12:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Not a lot of tools yet but the black zippered trail bag from EAD. At the time they had a starter kit with tow strap, shackles and a couple other things. It's held up well.

A friend of ours with a TJ removed the rear seat and mounted a tractor supply metal box in there on it's back so it's like a drop down gate in the cargo area. She runs a windjammer something like this. and has it pushed up tight so you still have a little space behind it.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #16 of 22 Old 08-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall View Post
Soft sided bag. I do have smaller zip canvas bags inside to oragnize stuff. One for screwdrivers, one for impact sockets and extensions, and one for wrenches.
I use this same setup. CLC tool bag with half a dozen Klien pouches
post #17 of 22 Old 08-31-2012, 03:24 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Two eight gallon action packers filled to the brim and I still have shit tucked away in other spots. Ugh... as soon as I off load something, the next day I'll need it.... Murphy you know.
post #18 of 22 Old 08-31-2012, 04:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacabb View Post

Pretty much everything needed to take a Jeep apart, lol.
and a tool bag for the impact wrench and sockets.
X2 on these craftsman sets. This set really does come with almost everything you will ever need. I have another bag for the random things that are needed.

In the feautre I would like to use the Jeepswag pouches for the odds and ends.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
post #19 of 22 Old 08-31-2012, 08:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Other peoples jeeps.

My tools are not really set up to take with me. I need another set just for trail runs.
I was thinking the socket organizers, each in a sock, in an ammo box(.50 cal) would work well, but haven't gotten around to trying it

Risk the Roll.
tm
post #20 of 22 Old 08-31-2012, 10:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Soft sided bags and pouches:

post #21 of 22 Old 11-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Granite Guru

had a tool box but to much noise. so i went to my old clc tool bag from work, got a new klien backpack tool bag for work. everything fits plus more if need be.useing a large battary box for oils and wd40 and other liquids needed in a emergency. plus smaller bags for recovery equipment. built a small 11 in wide shelf across back of seat useing top bolts to hold in place.and thats where everything sits woofer box under shelf

just the simple bare necessities to get from point A to point B and back again
08 4dr rubicon,poly performance,rockhard,superwinch,37's wild peaks,plus a really nice stereo.
post #22 of 22 Old 11-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Granite Guru

I'm looking at picking up one of the Craftsman sets as well. They can be had for reasonable prices on eBay.

Cheap, Fast, Reliable.......you can only pick two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode