I Think I Scored, Chime In... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-25-2012, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I Think I Scored, Chime In...

New welder!

I have been looking for something slightly more powerful than my 8 year old Lincoln 90A Mig, something that can weld .188 on gas, single pass without breaking a sweat on a standard 15A/20A wall outlet. Something that CAN weld .25 with flux core on single pass. Oh yeah, wanted to avoid spending almost a grand... I came across a company that produces welders and torches, not familiar with their stuff, but the reviews I have read seemed promising and for the value, I said what the heck! They claim the machine can burn .313 on flux in a single pass in their literature, i'll be happy with good penetration on .188 and .250 using flux.

I ordered a 125A Gas Ready Mig that uses standard Tweco handles/tubes and is spool gun ready. I'm hoping it's not a turd, i'll do a review when it comes. Here's the breakdown of what I picked up and price.

KDAR Hot Max 125A gas ready welder -Spool gun ready - 215.00 on promotion at Amazon
KDAR Hot Max Spool Gun - 123.00
KDAR Hot Max Flux Nozzles x3 9.00

For less than 350 bucks this should be a pretty nice set up.

Link.

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Max-125WFG...hot+max+125wfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-25-2012, 02:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Sweet. Can't wait for the review

Bryan
post #3 of 7 Old 08-26-2012, 04:18 AM
Rock God

hurry up and weld something. im sorta looking for welders now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Wheeler

Garage
Dumb question

What are the advantages of using the spool gun over the wire feed that's on the welder? I welded back in high-school way back when with a Mig welder but my most recent welding experience welding was with Tig. Would love to get a Tig setup but so dang expensive.

Happy to be here. Proud to serve.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BUILD/WISH LIST[X]2.5" TERAFLEX COIL LIFT, [ ]315/75-16 GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRACS
[X]1.5" SPIDER TRACKS WHEEL SPACERS, [ ]SIDESTEP/ROCKSLIDERS, [X]FRONT WINCH BUMPER, [ ]9500LB OR BIGGER WINCH, [ ]REAR BUMPER (WURX?), [ ]MODDED FENDER FLARES, [ ]LIGHTS, LIGHTS, AND MORE LIGHTS, [X]ANTENNAX STUBBY ANTENNA
post #5 of 7 Old 09-01-2012, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Update...

Got all the goods delivered. Spool gun showed up damaged, looks like Brown punted it a few times, pieces of plastic in the box that I couldn't figure out where from and something loose inside the gun so it went back. Welder came seperately and it was in pristine shape. Packaged well and definitely decent build quality. It is not a Hobart or Miller, but it isn't a total piece either. For 215 dollars you would be hard pressed to find a machine that is this well equipped. Anyways, on to the pictures.

Finally a complete welding rig, I have extra wire, magnets, brushes, and a decent cart. Not used to having everything in one place.

Decided to run it with the cheap flux crap wire it came with so if I didn't like it, I could just send it back spooled. Not bad at all on flux, 3/16" plate. Before anyone pipes up about the weld, I did ZERO clean up of the steel and hadn't even adjusted wire speed at all, just guessed and went at it. I wanted to see what it would do with the cards stacked against it. When I get ready to build my rear bare bones bumper, I will switch to gas and .030 wire.

Decent penetration. Definitely running hot enough for 3/16" which was my primary reason. Bumper time!

For the money, I am pretty pleased. Between the cart, the welder, and a new large view passive helmet, I am around 350 dollars into this set up. I would recommend this welder to anyone wanting to weld on skids or build their own plate steel bumper for sure.

One recommendation I would make, tie this unit to a non GFCI 20 amp outlet. I tripped the 15 amp breaker 2.5 inches into the first test weld on the plate steel. I will probably add a 20 amp in the garage and get a heavy duty extension cord to be able to weld outside.

I hope this adds another option for those on a budget trying to build our own junk.

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.

Last edited by JKCTAZ; 09-01-2012 at 08:34 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Rock God

Nice! Wanna come over and weld up about 50 small holes on the CJ for me?

I regret selling my Hobart a couple years ago...

-WRM
post #7 of 7 Old 09-01-2012, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

PM me Rich, we can probably work something out.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode