Pittsburg 3T aluminum race jack from HF - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Pittsburg 3T aluminum race jack from HF

Hey guys, I bought the Pittsburgh 3 ton aluminum race jack from Harbor Freight a week ago and broke it in this weekend doing tire rotations on our JK and our Grand Cherokee.

Getting each of the Jeeps up on the jack stands from and rear was not a problem as jack did well getting the Jeeps in the air. Where the problem came in on both Jeeps was when I came time to jacking them up to get them off the jack stands. On the JK I was took the rear down first, then moved to the front. When I had it in the air, I was able to get the jack stand on the left side out but ran into a problem on the passenger side. In the end managed to get it lifted enough by putting a couple of blocks of wood under and jacking it under the control arm mount on the axle.

Skip ahead a day to yesterday and I was doing a tire rotation on our Grand Cherokee. Here again the same issue except I couldn't get the rear lifted off the jack stands. Luckily I was able to put the jack under the rock sliders and lift it enough to get it off the jack stands doing left side then right.

In each case with the different Jeep's I first was jacking from the "pumpkin on the JK" or "center section on the grand". I'm guessing it's just a matter of the piston (or whatever it's called) not holding enough pressure to raise the vehicle up all the way on that final lift. I've already exchanged the jack for a new one and made sure to buy the replacement warranty as extra insurance in case this occurs again.

So I guess what my question is quite simply is whether this is an anomaly or the norm with the HF jack's? Has anyone else had this problem as well?

Thanks,

Kevin

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 08:13 PM
V8 dreams

i got the steel 3 ton and it hasn't given me any problems in about 8 months of use. i didn't get the warranty so i'm sure i'll get 13 moths of use out of it before it craps out lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
post #3 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I know, right.

The little I've read here and there is it seems to be hit or miss with people having problems with these things. I guess we'll see how things play out the next time I use the new one.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-29-2012, 02:12 AM
JKO Addict!

I have the same jack and have been using it regularly for almost two years now with no problems.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #5 of 11 Old 05-29-2012, 08:53 PM
JKO Addict!

I know the vast majority here aren't techs but trust me here.... Lifting and supporting devices are the wrong things to save a few $$$ on. Just my .02 worth

Like do you want a real hi-lift or the chinese copy?

Before you ask winches aren't designed to lift or support

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

post #6 of 11 Old 05-30-2012, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ockgator View Post
I know the vast majority here aren't techs but trust me here.... Lifting and supporting devices are the wrong things to save a few $$$ on. Just my .02 worth

Part of the reason playing into my decision to buy the jack from HF was that every aluminum race jack out there is identical in every detail save for color and all made in china. So they're all copying each other or it's the same company making them and slapping different names on them.

Trust me, I'm a strong proponent of buy cheap, buy twice and making this decision was not an easy one.

Not to worry, if I ever were to make a decision to buy a hi lift, it'd be the real deal.

Oh and I appreciate the clarification on the what a winch should and should not be used for.

post #7 of 11 Old 05-30-2012, 07:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
there are no under $200 jacks that are not made overseas, craftsman included.

i have 2 of the 3T aluminum ones (one with no wheels and a skid to be used in sand and one with a lift kit yes, I am serious) and both work fine.

You need to use a block or whatever to make sure the jack (any jack) is not at its max to get it off the stands, it gives you some fudge room should you need to go higher.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-30-2012, 12:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

This doesn't even make sense. Its not a safety issue so why not? I could see spending the extra money on a nicer one that would last longer if being beat everyday, and things like quick lift to get to the frame is nice (mine doesn't have it but I think the newer ones do).

However, everyone SHOULD know not to ever get under a vehicle held by just a jack, even if it's a million dollar jack. Jacks are only used to lift a vehicle a few inches, and then good jackstands are used to hold the vehicle up before you even touch it. Therefore, the jack isn't really that important as long as it'll lift the vehicle.

post #9 of 11 Old 05-30-2012, 08:06 PM
JKO Addict!

It's all good I've just seen some stupid shit that's all.

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

post #10 of 11 Old 06-01-2012, 09:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Even the best jack can't fix stupid operators!

post #11 of 11 Old 06-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
i got the steel 3 ton and it hasn't given me any problems in about 8 months of use. i didn't get the warranty so i'm sure i'll get 13 moths of use out of it before it craps out lol
I have this one also. Only used it a few times so far but it works great.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode