Why don't you fawkers learn to weld!!? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 247 Old 05-09-2012, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Slow and Low

Why don't you fawkers learn to weld!!?

Why is it that so many JK'ers spend thousands of dollars on bolt-on mods, and create fancy cyber-build-sheets and paste them all over the interwebz, but you RARELY see a WELDER on the cyber-list of mods to get??

Then, when the bolt-on shit doesn't fit right, all you hear is crying about what crappy engineering this and that... Whaaa!

And then there are brackets to bolt over other brackets to fix a problem with the first bracket that was garbage, etc... bracket bracket bracket u-bolt sleeve...junk.

If you own a Jeep and you plan to modify/have it modified, why in the world would you not buy a welder and learn how to use it BEFORE buying shit like 50" LED light bars and ginormous sound systems?

A WELDER IS THE BEST PURCHASE IN THE WORLD!! And a good one costs a lot less money than many of the worthless mods on JK's today.
It will change your life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 247 Old 05-09-2012, 12:54 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Calm down muhfugger!!!! I own a welder!

Look who's talking bi-xenon boi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 247 Old 05-09-2012, 12:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Im glad you brought this up, I have been asking myself the same question lately. I wish I would of bought a welder and fabbed my own stuff.

So while we are on the topic, which welder would you recommend for a newbie on a budget?

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 247 Old 05-09-2012, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Calm down muhfugger!!!! I own a welder!

Look who's talking bi-xenon boi!
Lol...
I've been welding since I was 12. Long before my blingy headlights were conceived...
post #5 of 247 Old 05-09-2012, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogMech46 View Post
Im glad you brought this up, I have been asking myself the same question lately. I wish I would of bought a welder and fabbed my own stuff.

So while we are on the topic, which welder would you recommend for a newbie on a budget?
Miller 185. 220v. Great welder for under a grand. There are many similar welders. But don't waste your time with a 110v if you want to weld on axles.
post #6 of 247 Old 05-09-2012, 12:58 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogMech46 View Post

Hobart Handler 190 with the Spool gun. It will weld up to 5/16" plate. Hobart is Miller owned and they have that welder on Amazon for 8 bills right now.

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #7 of 247 Old 05-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Hobart Handler 190 with the Spool gun. It will weld up to 5/16" plate. Hobart is Miller owned and they have that welder on Amazon for 8 bills right now.
This.

Been using mine for the past 5 months, awesome machine. And yeah, it definitely changed the direction of my rig for the better.
post #8 of 247 Old 05-09-2012, 01:04 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

^^^ I was looking at this very welder this morning thinking about getting it or the Handler 140 to replace my aging, undersized Lincoln...

Quote:
post #9 of 247 Old 05-09-2012, 01:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Agree with CO4LO.

But you'd be remiss if you didn't mention the Thermal Arc Fabricator 181i welder. Bad-ass MIG welder that can also do stick and lift-start TIG, inverter, small, lightweight (25 lbs) and the best MIG welder I've used. Oh yeah, $800 all day long.

But for everyone else you can pick up a basic Eastwood or Northern Industrial 220/175a these days for less than six hundred bucks, and they are actually pretty good. No excuse not to have one.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #10 of 247 Old 05-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Wheeler

A welder is a must, I currently have a Miller MM251, Synchrowave 180sd, and a Traiblazer 302.
post #11 of 247 Old 05-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Rock God

Maaan! Get out of the wrong side of the bed today? I do agree with you, you you are going to mod, do it right the first time but some peeps don't have room and or garage for a welder. Condo and all...
post #12 of 247 Old 05-09-2012, 01:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
Why is it that so many JK'ers spend thousands of dollars on bolt-on mods, and create fancy cyber-build-sheets and paste them all over the interwebz, but you RARELY see a WELDER on the cyber-list of mods to get??

Then, when the bolt-on shit doesn't fit right, all you hear is crying about what crappy engineering this and that... Whaaa!

And then there are brackets to bolt over other brackets to fix a problem with the first bracket that was garbage, etc... bracket bracket bracket u-bolt sleeve...junk.

If you own a Jeep and you plan to modify/have it modified, why in the world would you not buy a welder and learn how to use it BEFORE buying shit like 50" LED light bars and ginormous sound systems?

A WELDER IS THE BEST PURCHASE IN THE WORLD!! And a good one costs a lot less money than many of the worthless mods on JK's today.
Wait, why is this in Modified Tech?

Sorry but my condo associate does not allow me to use a welder on the premises, it is frowned up.

With that said, I would not mind getting myself a welder one day, but it'll have to wait until we have place with a garage to do that sorta work.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kkuntz01; 05-09-2012 at 01:20 PM.
post #13 of 247 Old 05-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:

FAWK! And I just took my welder back to get a 50" light bar!!!!

SIKE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
Agree with CO4LO.

But you'd be remiss if you didn't mention the Thermal Arc Fabricator 181i welder. Bad-ass MIG welder that can also do stick and lift-start TIG, inverter, small, lightweight (25 lbs) and the best MIG welder I've used. Oh yeah, $800 all day long.

But for everyone else you can pick up a basic Eastwood or Northern Industrial 220/175a these days for less than six hundred bucks, and they are actually pretty good. No excuse not to have one.
Badass welder by the way, I just picked up the Northern tool Hybrid same concept, but I like that there are more add on to that one you posted up!

My build

post #14 of 247 Old 05-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Rock God

I picked up a 210v Hobart around Xmas to replace my crappy 110v no name MIG. Love this little guy he lays a bead really well makes me look like a professional welder.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
post #15 of 247 Old 05-09-2012, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Slow and Low

Come on condo king... you don't know anybody that would let you keep your welder in their garage? A guy with a welder makes friends quite easily.
post #16 of 247 Old 05-09-2012, 01:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Here are reasons as to why I don't weld.
1) I don't have 220 in my garage, and even if I did...
2) No space for it in my garage. My garge is so stuffed with crap already (and it's pretty tiny to begin with)that I have to go outside to change my mind
3) "Sorry but my condo associate does not allow me to use a welder on the premises, it is frowned up." And this too. And finally...
4) I don't know how

Believe me, If I could, I would.
post #17 of 247 Old 05-09-2012, 01:29 PM
JKO Addict!

because everyone online critiques the FUCK out of the welds. People who have no clue what the fuck they're talking about will be like "oh look at those boogers" or "wow look how nice these welds are".

But yet they have NO clue what they're talking about.

sorry, had to rant for a minute there

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #18 of 247 Old 05-09-2012, 01:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Come on condo king... you don't know anybody that would let you keep your welder in their garage? A guy with a welder makes friends quite easily.
Why buy one when the people I know have one already.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
post #19 of 247 Old 05-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Rock God

Quote:
You should see how many friends u make after u tell em u have full access to a machine shop. :-) and damit I don't want beer I need jeep parts.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
post #20 of 247 Old 05-09-2012, 01:40 PM
JKO Addict!

AMP

'07 JKUR, Steel Blue, Spun Main Bearing Mod @ 46k miles
My new engine is a four letter word ..............

Last edited by sixty5vdub; 05-31-2012 at 01:34 PM.
post #21 of 247 Old 05-09-2012, 01:40 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
because everyone online critiques the FUCK out of the welds. People who have no clue what the fuck they're talking about will be like "oh look at those boogers" or "wow look how nice these welds are".

But yet they have NO clue what they're talking about.

sorry, had to rant for a minute there
You sound bitter, you must booger weld with little to no penetration to make matters worse!

Some of us actually KNOW something about welding though...

Quote:
post #22 of 247 Old 05-09-2012, 02:07 PM
JKO Addict!

I was given a 90a 120v MIG and taught myself how to MIG, decently...thanks YouTube! I won't say I'm any good at it, but I can get metal to stick together pretty successfully. I bought a new welder this week, $200 170a 220v harbor freight MIG. It's not a high end, but the damn thing works well enough for me. I agree though, there aren't many mentions of fabrication/welding on here for some reason, or in the JK community in general.

Since I got that first one, I have no idea how I owned a Jeep without one for a year. I expect a few more people asking for favors now that I actually have something that will weld pretty well, hopefully some donations will allow me to keep things running and helping out the local crew.

Most of the ones that do the major critiquing of welds have never held a torch in their life, who-cares...they can carry on about my junk all they want!

220v isn't a good excuse really. You can run a 140a Lincoln MIG on 110v, which is about good enough to do anything you want on a Jeep if you know how to use it. I tapped my 220v off my stove circuit, so I won't be baking a cake while I weld shit together, but it works!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 05-09-2012 at 02:21 PM.
post #23 of 247 Old 05-09-2012, 02:13 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I was given a 90a 120v MIG and taught myself how to MIG, decently. I won't say I'm any good at it, but I can get metal to stick together pretty successfully. I bought a new welder this week, $200 170a 220v harbor freight MIG. It's not a high end, but the damn thing works well enough for me.

Since I got that first one, I have no idea how I owned a Jeep without one for a year. I expect a few more people asking for favors now that I actually have something that will weld pretty well, hopefully some donations will allow me to keep things running and helping out the local crew.

Most of the ones that do the major critiquing of welds have never held a torch in their life, who-cares...they can carry on about my junk all they want!

220v isn't a good excuse really. You can run a 140a Lincoln MIG on 110v, which is about good enough to do anything you want on a Jeep if you know how to use it. I tapped my 220v off my stove circuit, so I won't be baking a cake while I weld shit together, but it works!
Too bad I don't live in your area Mike, i'd run you a new circuit, dedicated for your welder...

Quote:
post #24 of 247 Old 05-09-2012, 02:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Too bad I don't live in your area Mike, i'd run you a new circuit, dedicated for your welder...
Rental house or I'd do the same! Thanks though!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #25 of 247 Old 05-09-2012, 02:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I will say that welding does fit perfectly with Jeeping.
Money- Goodysgotcuda proves you can get in for little coin.
Space- Goody's and many are very small footprint in the garage.
Garage- If you buy it I guarantee you will have a friend to store it for you and use the garage. Test this one...
Electric- Many homes have an electric hot water heater (not all) in the garage. 240v and go.
Takes a little time but so worth it.

Mine: Compact/110/240 plasma cutter, stick welder, tig welder - reconditioned $500

Just do it! Take a class at CC. My first welds with stick 6013 Just do it!

practice - I don't care about what anyone thinks about my welds.

Those welds suck, they wouldn't hold , amateur, bla bla

Last edited by 4x4x4; 05-09-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode