Review: Quincy QT-54 Air Compressor 5hp 60gal - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By ExWrench
  • 2 Post By snout
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p
  • 1 Post By snout
  • 1 Post By snout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 01-12-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Vaporware jeep

Review: Quincy QT-54 Air Compressor 5hp 60gal

Since I'm still on the disabled list, I don't have much else to do except buy shit and complain about it on the internet.

Today, I present you the Quincy QT-54 Dual-Stage "5 hp" compressor.
My previous smaller compressor went tits up right before I was able to play with my new plasma cutter, so I quickly ordered this unit.

Why did I order a Quincy? Well, according to most internet armchair quarterbacks, Quincy is the gold standard of compressors. While I don't exactly agree with this thought process, I do have experience with pre Atlas-Copco Quincy screw compressors and single-stage verticals. FYI, the true gold standard is a Saylor-Beall, but we will save that for another time.

Let's get into this.
I ordered the compressor from aircompressorsdirect.com on 12/3/18 for $1299 + $35 liftgate and included the $179 maint kit, which extends the warranty from one to three years, which is nice. This includes on-site service.

The compressor that arrived looked like this:

I had aircompressorsdirect.com take the unit back because appeared to have been dropped and re-palletized. On 1/7/19, the replacement finally arrived. They should look like this on the pallet:

After running a second NEMA 6-50 receptacle and building an extension cord, I got the thing up and running. I stuck one of those vibration-based engine hour meters on the frame to track maint. There's plenty of vibration to trigger the hour meter.

Quincy's fit and finish / QA is definitely not the greatest. A couple observations:
- The pump / motor mount plate has a large scratch that was made during assembly. I don't really care.
- The bottom drain valve leaks. Ive tried to tighten it but it still leaks. I'll try removing and re-installing it or calling Quincy to see if they will come out and fix it.
- The petcock valve has debris clogging it. At first I thought this might be ice but it's not. A shaving of sharp metal shot out and cut my finger. Kinda lame, but whatever.

Operation of the unit is to be expected, however, it is LOUD and vibrates quite a bit. Much louder than any 5hp compressor I have ever used. More on why later, here are some dB readings:

All measurements taken at 5' high.
@ 2' from front of unit: 92dB (inside garage)
@ 10' from the front of unit: 86dB (inside garage)
@ 30' from the front of the unit: 78dB (in driveway)

Why all the noise and vibration? My theory is the motor is not a true 5hp Baldor motor. It's a speced motor that spins at a much higher speed than a typical Baldor 5hp. This motor spins at 3450 rpm. I would expect to see a 5hp Baldor spin at ~1750. To add to the disappointment, the motor plate says it all: Any time I see HP: SPL, it's a letdown.

LOL riiiiight guys ^

The motor only uses ~28 amps at running, so I assume it's some kind of more efficient-speced motor. The compressor does not ship with a magnetic starter, so my guess is it's de-rated enough to not need one.

Noise and vibration aside, the pump seems to be decent enough. The first stage compresses to around 90psi, then the second, fed by and intercooler compresses to about 175psi. At full operating temperature, (I ran it for 1hr with the valve open), I notice that the primary stage cylinder sleeve operates at about 190 degrees and the second stage cylinder sleeve is around 170 degrees. This pump is splash lubricated. I assume the temperature difference is normal, partially due to the intercooler.

So, what can it do? According to the pressure gauge, the pump is shutting off at 170 PSI. It will kick back in at 130 PSI. The pressure switch is a Condor MD11, which does not come in a 130 / 170 combo, so I suspect the factory pressure gauge to be off by approx 10 PSI. I'm going to hook up a known-accurate gauge to check. Here are some pump timings:

The pressure switch does include an unloader, which is a nice touch if you're into the sensual whoosh of a valve purging.
Cold fill from 0 PSI to 90 PSI (according to factory gauge): 02:45
Cold fill from 0 PSI to 170 PSI (according to factory gauge): 05:17
Fill from 130 PSI to 170 PSI (according to the factory gauge): 01:05
I'll probably never need anything near 15cfm, but who knows.
It's plenty for my 1/2" impact and plasma

In summary, the compressor is probably good enough as a commodity grade unit, however, I probably could have picked up a home depot special with the same level quality and not waited a month for it to arrive.

PRO's:
- Assembled in USA. I am pretty sure the parts are globally sourced
- Unit does not take up a lot of room
- Easy to work on and replace broken parts. Don't ask me why I know.
- More than enough power for what I need to use it for

CON's:
- Much noise and vibration
- Fit and finish is lame
- Leaks from factory

The folks at aircompressorsdirect.com were great and I would buy from them again for the customer service alone. I'll update on the regulator and inline drying setup I use once I get the drain valve fixed.

Last edited by snout; 01-12-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-13-2019, 01:48 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Looks good, I like the vertical layout for space savings. The claimed 15 CFM numbers look legit with your measured times and pressures for a 60 gallon tank. Only concern is you said it was drawing 28amps, by chance is that a typo because thatís a good bit over motor data plate of 21A and pretty close to its LRA code H (~29A). If actually measured though that could account for the noisey operation, although Iím sure even a correctly functioning unit is far from quiet just being an air compressor in general.
post #3 of 24 Old 01-13-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Vaporware jeep

I tested it with a clamp style meter and pretty sure the reading was 29, but I'll check again. Also I need to shim and lag the feet to the floor. It's not perfectly level as is due to the slope of the garage floor. Quincy does not recommend using iso pads, so I need to find some kind of rigid shim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 01-14-2019, 07:14 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
I tested it with a clamp style meter and pretty sure the reading was 29, but I'll check again. Also I need to shim and lag the feet to the floor. It's not perfectly level as is due to the slope of the garage floor. Quincy does not recommend using iso pads, so I need to find some kind of rigid shim.
How much do you have to shim your low spots ?

• Couple of heavy fender washers?
  • Block of steel, aluminum, delrin, UHMW, solid phenolic?

Or . . . for mad 'froading cred., maybe some of these?:

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #5 of 24 Old 01-15-2019, 04:51 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Why not build an enclosure outside the garage and sound proof it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #6 of 24 Old 01-15-2019, 08:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That's a nice compressor. I've always thought of Quincy as making quality products.

Kevin
post #7 of 24 Old 01-15-2019, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Vaporware jeep

So, on closer examination, one of the feet is slightly bent which is contributing to the leveling issue. I was going to go with ExWrench's pucks, instead I went with almond for milder, less-smoky flavor.

Couple that with the drain valve leak, my guess is this thing was handled rough during shipping. Where I live, Quincy seems to use FedEx freight for outgoing shipments. Based on my experience at work, I would never use FedEX freight because they manhandle everything. XPO and Champagne are my go-to freight companies.

Once I figured out that a 93dB air compressor drowns out my neighbor's jungle music, I learned to embrace the noise. I'm spoiled with having 90psi non-stop. I never realized how much time I spent waiting for a tank to refill.

Last edited by snout; 01-15-2019 at 08:58 AM.
post #8 of 24 Old 01-15-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Vaporware jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Why not build an enclosure outside the garage and sound proof it?
Moving soon. I'm banned from starting any new projects
post #9 of 24 Old 01-15-2019, 10:13 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Why didn't you just wait to buy compressor after the move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #10 of 24 Old 01-15-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Vaporware jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Why didn't you just wait to buy compressor after the move?
Instant gratification syndrome.
Same reason I'm always compulsively masturbating to pictures of fat midgets.
post #11 of 24 Old 01-15-2019, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Instant gratification syndrome.
Same reason I'm always compulsively masturbating to pictures of fat midgets.

So, if I read that correctly, we can surmise that you :
yank-off to fat midgets, impulsively order big,heavy, 'spensive, long, erect, wrapped units which arrive via mail and that you hold sailor balls to a gold standard ...

this is news?

ndtguy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 24 Old 01-18-2019, 10:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Where ya moving to? I thought I remember seeing you mention NC a while back.

Kevin
post #13 of 24 Old 01-18-2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Vaporware jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Where ya moving to? I thought I remember seeing you mention NC a while back.
The lovely and scenic hamlet of Denver, NC. Born and raised in CA and always felt like a foreigner. I think the South is where I truly belong.
post #14 of 24 Old 01-18-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Vaporware jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
So, if I read that correctly, we can surmise that you :
yank-off to fat midgets, impulsively order big,heavy, 'spensive, long, erect, wrapped units which arrive via mail and that you hold sailor balls to a gold standard ...

this is news?

You're going to get caught wheeling with me and then the rumors are really going to fly.
Texas_Jester likes this.
post #15 of 24 Old 01-18-2019, 08:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
The lovely and scenic hamlet of Denver, NC. Born and raised in CA and always felt like a foreigner. I think the South is where I truly belong.
I hear ya. I was 38 when I finally left San Diego. I love the South.

Kevin
post #16 of 24 Old 01-19-2019, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
You're going to get caught wheeling with me and then the rumors are really going to fly.

(edit:
Hey! I overlooked that info about you finally moving out closer to me!
Oh, I have a group for you to meet.
This puts us close enough to actually wheel together dude!
Fantastic.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 01-19-2019 at 05:38 AM.
post #17 of 24 Old 01-19-2019, 02:30 PM
Wheeler

Do they not recommend any isolation whatsoever or just nothing softish? I have a rather large collection of industrial anti vibration blocks salvaged from medical equipment after shipping. My intention was to use them as bump stop extensions on the cheap. Then I got the idea to offer them to others so I kept gathering them up. I of course never got around to actually doing what I intended.

They look exactly like these: Anti Vibration Rubber Mount Vibration Isolator Manufacturers and Suppliers China - Customized Products Price - SVKS Seal

If you think you can use some of these to quiet down/level your new toy let me know how many you want. Free to your door.
post #18 of 24 Old 01-20-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Vaporware jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3VOL View Post
Do they not recommend any isolation whatsoever or just nothing softish? I have a rather large collection of industrial anti vibration blocks salvaged from medical equipment after shipping. My intention was to use them as bump stop extensions on the cheap. Then I got the idea to offer them to others so I kept gathering them up. I of course never got around to actually doing what I intended.

They look exactly like these: Anti Vibration Rubber Mount Vibration Isolator Manufacturers and Suppliers China - Customized Products Price - SVKS Seal

If you think you can use some of these to quiet down/level your new toy let me know how many you want. Free to your door.
I have some, but avoiding using them. If you ever run across some cobalt-60 just laying around the warehouse, I know a guy...
post #19 of 24 Old 01-20-2019, 08:31 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
I have some, but avoiding using them. If you ever run across some cobalt-60 just laying around the warehouse, I know a guy...
I'm probably on enough lists as it is
post #20 of 24 Old 01-21-2019, 05:04 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
...why would you want the NRC will be involved?

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #21 of 24 Old 01-21-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Vaporware jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndtguy View Post
...why would you want the NRC will be involved?
Just trying to get my pals from the DOE to bring me lunch.
ndtguy likes this.
post #22 of 24 Old 03-24-2019, 10:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Has the compressor blown up and killed you yet?

Kevin
post #23 of 24 Old 03-25-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Vaporware jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Has the compressor blown up and killed you yet?
I just want some air, not a shit show every time the thing fires up.
The second pressure switch went tits-up. I took the drain apart to re-seat it, just haven't had time to get it back together since I have a newborn. Maybe in 5 years
post #24 of 24 Old 03-25-2019, 03:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I just want some air, not a shit show every time the thing fires up.
The second pressure switch went tits-up. I took the drain apart to re-seat it, just haven't had time to get it back together since I have a newborn. Maybe in 5 years
You had a baby? Congrats. Did it hurt coming out? Seriously congrats.

Was hoping to hear better news about the compressor.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode