Need to borrow a 7/8" Tapered Reamer? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By snout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-18-2018, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Minstrel Gigolo

Need to borrow a 7/8" Tapered Reamer?

Hi,

Long story less short, If you need to enlarge your knuckle to support a flip adapter, trying to enlarge that hole with a regular bit may result in a smashed human knuckle. I bought a nice 7/8" tapered reamer from Viking, which in my opinion is the only place to go for drilling bits. Couple squirts of cutting oil and this guy zips through knuckles like butter.

The problem is, a decent reamer will set you back $100+ and you may use it once or twice. I've learned a lot from this forum and you all are a bunch of decent guys and gals. The least I can do is pass this thing along to the next person who needs to ream a knuckle. All I ask is that you pass it to the next person and so on. If it needs to be sharpened, shoot it back to me and I'm happy to take care of it.
Attached Images

Last edited by snout; 03-18-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-18-2018, 06:29 PM
Rock God

How exactly did you break a knuckle by drilling it? Did it break during drilling, or from trail damage?
post #3 of 10 Old 03-18-2018, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Minstrel Gigolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by christensent View Post
How exactly did you break a knuckle by drilling it? Did it break during drilling, or from trail damage?

Let me update the original post to clarify that I was referring to a human knuckle not a JK knuckle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-18-2018, 09:34 PM
Wheeler

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
Hi,

Long story less short, If you need to enlarge your knuckle to support a flip adapter, trying to enlarge that hole with a regular bit may result in a smashed human knuckle. I bought a nice 7/8" tapered reamer from Viking, which in my opinion is the only place to go for drilling bits. Couple squirts of cutting oil and this guy zips through knuckles like butter.

The problem is, a decent reamer will set you back $100+ and you may use it once or twice. I've learned a lot from this forum and you all are a bunch of decent guys and gals. The least I can do is pass this thing along to the next person who needs to ream a knuckle. All I ask is that you pass it to the next person and so on. If it needs to be sharpened, shoot it back to me and I'm happy to take care of it.
Awesome of you to offer this up!!!

//

Chris
post #5 of 10 Old 03-19-2018, 11:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Mighty cool of ya.

My wrists hurt just thinking about drilling big holes. Bit bites and now your wrists are pointing in the wrong direction.

Kevin
post #6 of 10 Old 04-17-2018, 06:56 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Hi,

Is this the correct taper for the GM 1 ton tie rod ends? If so I may need to take you up on your hospitality.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-17-2018, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Minstrel Gigolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by da20captain View Post
Is this the correct taper for the GM 1 ton tie rod ends? If so I may need to take you up on your hospitality.
Do you have a tapered drop in or are you trying to drill the tapered hole?
post #8 of 10 Old 04-18-2018, 05:21 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Do you have a tapered drop in or are you trying to drill the tapered hole?
If there is a reamer available I would prefer that direction as opposed to the drop in.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-18-2018, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Minstrel Gigolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by da20captain View Post
If there is a reamer available I would prefer that direction as opposed to the drop in.
My reamer is for making the "over-sized" hole that a tapered adapter drops in to.

For the record, drop in adapters are BS. You have to chamfer the hole and do stupid things to get the adapter to fit + get the castle nut to align with the cotter pin hole. As soon as I can justify replacing my knuckle, I'm going to do it right.

I believe RuffStuff sells the reamer if you want to do it right. Wait long enough and I'm sure Ill buy one.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-18-2018, 06:57 PM
Rock God

Lol. Thanks for info and getting back to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode