tube tard needs notching nadvice - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-01-2017, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Minstrel Gigolo

tube tard needs notching nadvice

Full disclosure: I'm still very new to cutting / fitting tube and I promise to not work on anything structural for quite some time. Right now, I'm working on some basic WAL-bannable offense sliders to replace the crappy tub mounted ones that came on my JKU.

I'm working with 1.75x.120 1xxx dom tube. I'm using a HF tube notcher and so far have only been making 90* cuts. The issue I'm having is burning through hole saw blades at an excessive rate. Also, the cuts are taking longer than I would expect. My guess is I'm doing it wrong and need someone to provide some feedback on my technique.

Here's what I'm doing:
- Take measurements and mark where to cut
- Use the following formula to determine cutting speed:
(4*120)/diameter inches = drill speed
4*120/1.75=~270. My drill press' lowest speed is 300rpm.
- Coat the hole saw with dark thread cutting oil
- Apply constant (not too heavy) downward pressure and let the saw remove material. I keep the cutting edge wet with cutting oil.
- I avoid releasing pressure on the saw for the duration of the cut
- The cut takes 10 minutes or more. I've read elsewhere that it should take less than a minute. For some reason no matter how tight I have the chuck, the cutting shaft seems to drop often -- not what's going on there, but it's annoying.
- I cut all the way through the tube. I don't rotate the tube and cut from the other side

Typically, following those steps will demolish a HF hole saw about 50% of the way through the tube. A Milwaukee or Diablo hole saw will be missing 50% of it's teeth at the end of a single cut. I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong here but it's costing me $10 every time I want to cut a tube.

I know, I know, the problem exists between the feed lever and the floor, but any tips would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-01-2017, 03:55 PM
Rock God

In the past I had notched many sticks of DOM with a single hole saw blade. Le the blade pull itself thru with no pressure and a constant flow of oil over the cut area. Hell I have even made holes in steel with cheap ass china hole saw bits and finished the job with a single bit, I am talking bits cheaper then Harbour freight shit.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-01-2017, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Minstrel Gigolo

Thanks. I must be applying too much force on the feed lever or not enough cutting oil. I've been using that Oatey "dark thread cutting" oil from the plumbing aisle. I'll try again tonight when the neighbors are trying to sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-01-2017, 09:05 PM
JKO Addict!

I never use oil with a hole saw and get many many cuts with a hole saw. Lately I have just been using a 5" flap wheel on the grinder as it is faster.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-01-2017, 10:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Might be a dumb question but, are you sure the hole saws you're using are for metal?

Spend 10 bucks and get a Lenox bi-metal hole saw from Lowes or wherever. They work great and are cheap. You should be able to make 20 sets of sliders from a single hole saw.

I never use oil, just a couple shots of WD40. Makes clean up easier too.

I have a JD2 notchmaster and I can make a 90* notch in 1.75"x .120 in about 10-15 seconds.

edit: What RPM are you spinning the notcher?

Kevin

Last edited by gt1guy; 05-01-2017 at 10:36 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-02-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Minstrel Gigolo

They're bi-metal saws spinning at 300rpm.
I noticed the notching shaft has an ever so slight warp in it, which may be part of it. I'm going to try and press it flat and cut some more tonight when I get home.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-02-2017, 01:37 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-03-2017, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Minstrel Gigolo

I straightened the shaft out with my press, fixed 95% of the wobble and used a little more oil and a little more feed pressure. Now it's working perfectly. I'll probably use the notcher for funky angled fitment.

I tried the chop saw technique above and cleaned up the cuts with a flappy wheel and files. That method is much faster and cleaner.

Thanks for all the suggestions / help!
post #9 of 10 Old 01-14-2018, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Minstrel Gigolo

So just to add to this -- a lot of the issues I was having were due to my shit chinese drill press -- which was just too weak to drill through the tube. I moved my jig over to my welding table, bolted it down and used a plain old 10amp corded drill, which blows thru the tube like a hot knife thru butter.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-14-2018, 08:48 PM
Random Dude

Glad to hear you got the notcher working for you.

Now that the notcher doesn't suck, do you generally prefer it or the angle grinder?

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

<-- Random crap you might find useful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode