JKOwners Forum banner

Hard Brake Line Installation

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  strokinout 
#1 ·
Good morning all,

I am sorry for barging in as a new member with a request for help right off the bat but I don't know where turn...

I have a stock 2008 JKU.

I haven't worked up the courage or the money to buy the service manuals yet.

I twisted the hard brake line running from the master cylinder area to the driver's side rear wheel. I know I have to replace it and have already bought the OEM brake line from the closest dealer (Staunton, VA).

I have scoured the internet looking for help on how to insert/thread that pre-bent, 117" steel tube through the engine bay, along the frame rail, and out the wheel well. I found only 1 reference anywhere on the internet (on this site from about 8 years ago) from someone who had done it, but all he/she said was it wasn't too bad if you have someone up at the engine bay helping to feed it.

Can this be true? Can it really be carefully woven in there without lifting the body or removing major components? I know that if I mangle it I can buy the nickel/copper line and make it myself but I would like to not waste the $35 I just spent on the hard line.

Thanks in advance for any related experience!

Jeff

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't say if it's possible or not really as I have not done this particular replacement on my Jeep, but I have replaced all the brake components on my 71 Camaro that I had years ago, including replacing all of the brake lines as well. However if you found a thread on here that states it's possible, I'm inclined to believe so.

I'm also of the belief that having a second person helping you with this would be worth your time. I would honestly offer to help you if you were closer to where I live in Hampton Roads, rough calculations puts you about 4 hours away.

And why not stop by the Welcome Room and introduce yourself properly. You might enjoy sticking around on this forum. :grin2:

Good luck... :wink2:

#3 ·
Thank you Will. I just went to the Welcome Forum and introduced myself, and I have a plucky daughter who will have to help me with the brake line while covering her ears.

I spoke with a general mechanic after posting this morning and he assured me there is more room along that frame rail than I am imagining and that I should be able to do this.

If the daggone brakes worked I'd drive to Hampton to accept an offer of help!

#7 ·
Well, the hard brake line is installed, safely clipped into place. I am bleeding a tiny bit and I used every grownup word I know several times.

As advised by a real mechanic, I left the old one in and followed it with the new line, then cut the old line into pieces to remove it.

I fed it in from the front, and my daughter stayed there and fed/supported it while I crawled underneath and wrestled it along the frame rail.

The new line suffers a fair amount of abuse during installation, as you REALLY have to flex it around frame crossmember and exhaust parts, but it went in without kinking it. It's pretty tough.

The bottom line is you don't have to remove other stuff to thread the new brake line in, but it doesn't drop into place by itself.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I'm glad you got it in, thanks for the info.

#9 ·
Just a final note on this... The rear passenger side brake hose was just as rusted to the hard brake line as the driver's side and I really don't want to ever have to thread another brake line through a Jeep (or any vehicle).
I soaked it with Kroil for 2 weeks but every time I checked it, it was still locked up and wanted to twist the steel line when I put a wrench on the fitting.
Yesterday, after disconnecting the brake hose from the caliper to avoid pressure buildup, I put my mapp torch on it until it began to show some color.
I am paranoid, so I hooked up the water hose and also brought out a fire extinguisher, thankfully not needing either.
Lo and behold, the heat really did its work to break the rust bond and the fitting wasn't even that tight! I got the new hose installed and attached to the caliper, now I am just waiting on a pedal-pusher to help bleed the lines and I think I am done with this chapter.
I don't presume anyone should care that I got this done, but I want to post this so maybe some other clueless wonder like myself might read this and not be scared to throw the heat at it from the get-go.

#10 ·
Just a final note on this... The rear passenger side brake hose was just as rusted to the hard brake line as the driver's side and I really don't want to ever have to thread another brake line through a Jeep (or any vehicle).

I soaked it with Kroil for 2 weeks but every time I checked it, it was still locked up and wanted to twist the steel line when I put a wrench on the fitting.

Yesterday, after disconnecting the brake hose from the caliper to avoid pressure buildup, I put my mapp torch on it until it began to show some color.

I am paranoid, so I hooked up the water hose and also brought out a fire extinguisher, thankfully not needing either.

Lo and behold, the heat really did its work to break the rust bond and the fitting wasn't even that tight! I got the new hose installed and attached to the caliper, now I am just waiting on a pedal-pusher to help bleed the lines and I think I am done with this chapter.

I don't presume anyone should care that I got this done, but I want to post this so maybe some other clueless wonder like myself might read this and not be scared to throw the heat at it from the get-go.
Good stuff/update[emoji481]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Not to hijack a thread but I am in a similar situation at the moment. The closest in-stock hard brake line to me is Maryland according to the dealer but I can't wait for it to get here as my Jeep is my daily driver. I was just at the Hardrock Cycle Park in Ocala and hit one of the rock climbing lines when I found out the hard way that the Teraflex 2.5" lift has the too-long antisway bar bolt. My rear axle went full droop when I bottomed out, the bolt grabbed my brake line and yanked it down, causing a crack in my line and now I have to replace the whole thing. Has anyone spliced their hard line?

#13 ·
I've done this in the past with other rigs. Was not that hard, just needed the special double flare tool.

Oh, and don't forget to put the dang end on BEFORE making your cool flare....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.