Early jk vs Newer jk steering pumps - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By FatCow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-08-2020, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Early jk vs Newer jk steering pumps

Doing an engine swap but got curious about stock steering pumps. I bought the newer pump because it apparently has better flow, but the few aftermarket brackets for my engine (Gen5) show that they only use early JK pumps. Apparently the 99-07 Corvette Power Steering Pump is pretty much the same pump as early JK.

I know that Motech has the steering bracket I need for my 2012 pump but Ive been trying to get the bracket for like 2 weeks. I sent an email, then followed up with a call and was told to send an email to get an invoice.

Before I say screw it and send this pump back for the older one, are the newer pumps that much better? I do plan to run hydro once my axles are swapped out, but I don't want to run PSC, which apparently have their own brackets as well.

Mildly built 2011 JKU Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-08-2020, 08:58 AM
JKO Addict!

The holidays screw everything up, I would give them another week to get caught up.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-08-2020, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yeah, exactly. Not trying to make this a bash post. They make great products and clearly have great service, but the delay does give me some options to think over.

Their bracket is $299
ICT's bracket is $199
American Billet bracket $120

07-11 pump $89 with pulley
12+ pump with pulley $89 (Already bought)
Type II gm pump $200 without pulley (Lines?)

I am curious to the ability of the older pump. I know it sucks with 37s and front end locked, but if we modded it, would it be similar to modding the 12+ to where we can increase the flow that could "pop the top off" the box were it not modded with a ram. I did find that the early JKs have 2.29-2.68 GPM, which is about the same for the newer ones as well, if forums are to be believed. Yet, Ive read that out of the box, the new ones have a better flow, but it seems the flow and psi are pretty similar between the two.

Mostly trying to see if the $100 is worth it to have a newer pump and motech bracket vs the older pump and ict bracket.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-09-2020, 12:14 PM
Rock God

Iím not familiar with what type brackets work/youíre using with the gen v ls. Can you post a picture of the power steering bolt configuration? Iím using a psc type 2 ďtcĒ style pump with an oem Chevy bracket.
I canít say for 100% certain, but Iím pretty sure itís the same pump as the early JK. Iíll take a look and compare them when I get home. The pump Iím using is the SP1200X and itís a gen 3 ls.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-09-2020, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

From what I can see is the newer JK pumps actually have the back mounts about and inch closer to the pulley. So if the two pumps were mounted, the backside would stick an inch past the bracket while the older jk points would sit flush(?).
I believe the biggest issue the the fact the newer pumps have the front mounting tabs closer together vs in line with the back tabs.

post #6 of 9 Old 01-09-2020, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I am going to answer my own question.

Being a "want now buy now" guy, I went ahead and ordered the ICT bracket and 3.8 pump. It's going to rain Saturday, so it'll give me something to do.

post #7 of 9 Old 01-12-2020, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Steering pump installed.

There is zero physical similarities between the old and new JK pump. The older JK pump is very similar to the GM type II pumps. The center, lower mounting point on the front is off set from chevy brackets. The hole could be enlarged or wallowed out if you feel you need it. The rear isn't used, but can be if a hole is drilled in the bracket.
The front and rear side mounts will need to have the threads drilled away, but mount up perfectly.

Just an FYI

post #8 of 9 Old 01-13-2020, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

a good , informative thread like this sure deserves at least a couple of image links!

post #9 of 9 Old 01-13-2020, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I don't disagree, but seems I need to find a photo host now to do so. Ill get some up
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode