JKOwners Forum banner

I warned you I would have stupid questions...

16K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  jaminson 
#1 ·
2008 JK 71000 miles, my first Wrangler. I bought it about a month ago and have:

Replaced shocks (were original!)
Worked to mitigate rust on frame (Worried about piece under gas tank... Suggestions?)
Replaced silly plastic bumpers.
Replace plastic side steps with real protection...
Found used soft top for $300!!!!
Installed everything to make it a "toad"

However I have noticed something that has me concerned. When starting from a stop I can, intermittently, hear a clunk which I attributed to a "sticky caliper". It seemed to be emulating from the left rear wheel. The diagnosis (ok guess) was based partly on the perception of what VW totes as "hill hold" in their manual transmission cars, though very slight... The other day while turning a tight circle in the church parking lot the jeep acted like it was in 4WD, seeming to bind the drive train. It has a 44HD rear which the build sheet says is limited slip.

I have blown my budget already so I am looking for wisdom from the forums, hopefully with good news! :wink2:

Thanks,
RevJonG

See less See more
#2 ·
re: 'stupid question' post that has no question

blanket postings that span each Jeep forum is so uncool. If the same time were used in a well thought-out google search versus shotgun posting drivel such-as this to any forum w/ the word 'Jeep'-something in its name is asinine , if the OP is actually a person.

#3 ·

blanket postings that span each Jeep forum is so uncool. If the same time were used in a well thought-out google search versus shotgun posting drivel such-as this to any forum w/ the word 'Jeep'-something in its name is asinine , if the OP is actually a person.
Sorry, did not intend to offend anyone... Just seeking help which I foolishly assumed this forum was for...

#4 ·
Does the clunk when you start moving happen on flat ground, or only on hills? Does it happen the moment the clutch starts to engage, or only once you start to actually move? Is it consistent or only occasional?

When you were turning and it seemed like it was binding, were the tires scrubbing, chirping or hopping or did it just feel like drag? Any chance there have been previous axle mods by a previous owner?

#7 ·
I feel kind of stupid. I went back to the church parking lot after church and attempted to re-create the binding and I could not get it to happen. The clunk always happens when starting out from a stop. It will do it both on flat ground or on hills. It does not seem to be coming from the area of the pressure plate and throw out bearing. My perception is it is coming from the left rear wheel area. It is intermittent.

I see no evidence of previous modifications. In fact, much to my surprise, it had the original shocks on it when I purchased it.

Thank you so much for your kind response!

#9 ·
I've had clunking before from worn control arm bushings. It can be kind of hard to see, but if there's some slop there, it can cause movement of the bolt, and that makes a clunk much like the OP described.

Reactions: The old fart
#14 ·
Some things only clunk if you take of fast enough. ie, apply enough force to move it when accelerating. That would be the worn or just a bit loose holes/bolts.

edit: Also, have you made sure the jack in the slot in the back is in tight? Someone in the past found that was the cause of their mysterious clunk!

Remember, there are no stupid questions!

>:)

#15 ·
No update from the OP? <sigh>

#17 ·
Well at least you didn't get the answers you were looking for and run off. Many do. That's what the <sigh> was about. A lot of us spend significant amounts of time helping strangers, just to never hear back.

Let us know how it goes.

#20 ·
Wow. Looks like the stock stabilizer was removed, but the old bolt was put back in for the heck of it... Glad it helped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.