JKOwners Forum banner

sway bar diameter

6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  j3ff3ry_j33p 
#1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know the diameter of the jk front swaybar? I can't find the information anywhere. All results are for rear swaybar, TJ sway bar ehich is 1 3/16", and aftermarket swaybars.

I don't know if there's a difference between the rubi and non ruby sway bar diameter. I have an 07 rubi.

The reason I ask is because my swaybar is hitting the round crossmember that sticks out past the front of the frame. I was gonna grind the tubes down but I've learned that those tubes are there to restrict excess lateral movement of the swaybar. I've read about people grinding the tubes down and the swaybar shifted over so much with nothing to stop it, thst it damaged the drag link and other parts.

Anyways, I want to put some clamp on shaft collars on both sides of the swaybar to prevent it from shifting side to side. I just need the correct inner diameter of the collars to.mstch the swaybar diameter.

#7 · (Edited)

does OP imply that ,by ,'i ground the tubes down a little ...' he grinded the O.D. of the hardened-steel , designed-by-engineers-at-Jeep to be precisely the diameter suited for the GVW (& other specs) of the vehicle ....tis was done versus just buying a $19.99 set of the appropriate mm Energy or Prothane aftermarket swaybar bushings ?

I recall a slight discrepancy years back when I upgraded so just measured the OD , took the diameter size to the Google's & found a set that fit the heavier swaybar. *

I maybe misunderstanding but did OP rotate the house to screw-in the light bulb?

(* iirc , I may have bandsawed the base by whatever amount made it the correct height to match the factory ...that may have been one of the other Jeeps , tho...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.