Manual transmission noise - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rich6700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-10-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Manual transmission noise

I’m sure this has been discussed before but I can’t seem to find in search engine so here I go.
I recently purchased 2012 Rubicon with 280k original miles. Engine is from 2014 with currently pushing 26k. Transmission has been completely rebuilt and has new transfer case.
I seem to hear slight rattling noise at around 2-2.5k rpm in 2-3-4 gears every now & then. When I push the pedal hard it goes away. Some say it’s normal or “Jeep Thing” but I’m afraid it’ll lead to some technical failure in the future.
Also in higher gears 4-5-6 it has a slight whistling sound.
I’ve been driving manual cars since 90s & to me it doesn’t seem quite normal.
Maybe the guy who rebuilt did crappy job. Idk.
Does anyone have better idea? Help me out ppl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-10-2019, 08:47 PM
Granite Guru

You answered your own question, ď maybe the guy who rebuilt it did a crappy jobĒ. That would be my guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Laggy likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-11-2019, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

After watching some YouTube videos it seems quite common and mine isn’t as bad. But it bugs me & I’d like to know what’s the cause & if there’s anyone here who’s had that issue either solved or had long term with or with no problem. Also is the clunking noise normal when letting go the clutch? I never drove another Wrangler with NSG370 so I can’t compare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old Today, 02:29 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich6700 View Post
You answered your own question, ď maybe the guy who rebuilt it did a crappy jobĒ. That would be my guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lol. This is pretty funny. Doesnít answer much though.

To OP, you can check all sorts of things. But it could be a throw out bearing.

I donít think clunking is normal. I have a 2013 manual and I guess it will clunk if Iím shifting like crap. Is clunking coming from transmission?

Perhaps check all your mating bolts with a torque wrench. Engine to tranny. Tranny to transfer case.
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 05:58 AM
Rock God

Garage

It seems to me some of the 2012 and up manuals had issues with the hole in the body around the shifter, either interfering with the shift lever of the inner boot causing them to pop out of gear. I had dome issues with mine after installing the 1.25 inch body lift. Some massaging with a hammer and or pry bar clearanced it enough to make it go away.

It might be worth removing the outer and inner boot, along with the isolator doughnut so that you can see and hear better what's going on. It's possible the sounds are coming from the transmission internals, but maybe not. I'd think it's just as likely that removing and re-installing the trans has shifted something external just enough to cause some interference somewhere.

Either way, opening things up so you can see and hear might help and it's pretty easy to do.

Also, once you have things open, a mechanics stethoscope placed on the trans case might reveal if the sounds are internal or not.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode