AC issue - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-05-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

AC issue

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I apologize if this isn't the right forum.

I have an 07 and I live in AZ and I rarely use my heat during the winter. The few times I did use it, it worked fine. I started noticing it was making a slight hissing/breathy noise that would go from high to low continuously then a considerably louder one when I'd switch it off. It got a little warmer so I stopped using it all together since I prefer the windows down.

We're starting to get into our higher temps so I turned on the AC and the same noise was present, only a little louder this time. I also noticed that it's blowing warm, but not hot air on the drivers side and cooler air on the passenger side. Then warm on both sides when I switch it to high. The heat works perfectly fine and I already checked the actuators and I can seem them moving when I turn the heat/cold dial.

Does anyone have any idea on where to start looking for the problem?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-05-2019, 04:53 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I've heard before that the ducting behind the dash can overheat and partially deform / melt. Recommend searching on it either here or Google. I think @KOWBOY on here had a melted part replaced with stainless or some such.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 Old 05-05-2019, 09:18 PM
Wheeler

Hoping someone can answer this. Was gonna create a new thread about this but saw this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-25-2019, 10:31 AM
Granite Guru

Go through normal AC trouble shooting steps. With gauges, check low and high side pressure. Plenty of YouTube videos.

Hissing that happens all the time is usually an issue where blend doors arenít opening and shutting as they should.

Hissing that happened for a time and is not longer happening could be a refrigerant leak. If you heard that in the cab, then it evaporators most likely.

Hissing could also just be your climate system doing it thing.

Regardless, start diagnosing AC with pressures to see if you have refrigerant in your system. If you do have refrigerant and itís blowing warm, the you have bad compressor or blockages. Pressure differences between low and high sides can then tell you where blockage is, or if compressor has failed.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggy View Post
Go through normal AC trouble shooting steps. With gauges, check low and high side pressure. Plenty of YouTube videos.

Hissing that happens all the time is usually an issue where blend doors arenít opening and shutting as they should.

Hissing that happened for a time and is not longer happening could be a refrigerant leak. If you heard that in the cab, then it evaporators most likely.

Hissing could also just be your climate system doing it thing.

Regardless, start diagnosing AC with pressures to see if you have refrigerant in your system. If you do have refrigerant and itís blowing warm, the you have bad compressor or blockages. Pressure differences between low and high sides can then tell you where blockage is, or if compressor has failed.
Sorry for the late response, I got busy and forgot to check back.

Thanks for the advice. I have yet to look at it, so I'll check everything mentioned. In the mean time, I have noticed that the lower the setting, the cooler it blows and the hissing gets quieter when I switch it to heat. I took a video of the hissing to see if anyone can listen to it and figure it out from that.

post #6 of 9 Old 06-17-2019, 01:35 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvandam7 View Post
Sorry for the late response, I got busy and forgot to check back.

Thanks for the advice. I have yet to look at it, so I'll check everything mentioned. In the mean time, I have noticed that the lower the setting, the cooler it blows and the hissing gets quieter when I switch it to heat. I took a video of the hissing to see if anyone can listen to it and figure it out from that.

https://youtu.be/HTz7IkVHD68
Impossible to tell from here, but could be a blower going bad + a slow refrigerant leak. Although I’ve never heard a blower make a metal grinding noise like that lol. I’ll PM you my phone number. You’re more than welcome to come over and I’ll give it a look-see, throw some gauges on there. I know on my TJ, the AC is ice cold, but my blower is slowly dying. So again, you could have coincidental, but separate issues. I’m off the next 2 days, and during the days otherwise...

Also, have you verified that controls switch to foot when prompted?
Also, when defrost is on, do those little side vents that Defoe the windows come on?
Open the hood, run AC. Does the AC clutch spin (middle of the compressor)? If it spins, is it constant or clicking on and off? Or is it stable with just the belt spinning the pulley?

Last edited by Laggy; 06-17-2019 at 01:43 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-17-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggy View Post
Impossible to tell from here, but could be a blower going bad + a slow refrigerant leak. Although Iíve never heard a blower make a metal grinding noise like that lol. Iíll PM you my phone number. Youíre more than welcome to come over and Iíll give it a look-see, throw some gauges on there. I know on my TJ, the AC is ice cold, but my blower is slowly dying. So again, you could have coincidental, but separate issues. Iím off the next 2 days, and during the days otherwise...

Also, have you verified that controls switch to foot when prompted?
Also, when defrost is on, do those little side vents that Defoe the windows come on?
Open the hood, run AC. Does the AC clutch spin (middle of the compressor)? If it spins, is it constant or clicking on and off? Or is it stable with just the belt spinning the pulley?
I have a buddy with gauges and all that, but thanks for the offer. If I hit a snag, I may hit you up!

It's not a grinding noise, although I can see how you hear that. It's more of a hissing/breathy noise (sorry that's the best way I can think to describe it) that sometimes stays constant and other times gets higher and lower. It's really weird.

I took the panels off my dash on the drivers side and the glove box off of the passenger side. I can see the arm on the blend door move from the drivers side and everything on the passenger seems to be moving correctly. I plan removing the blend door and inspecting it one of these days when I get the time

Yes, the side vents blow air when defrost is on. All parts of the compressor are spinning and there is no clicking present.

I'm going to take it to my mechanic buddy one of these days when I have down time, I just figured I'd ask for help here to see if I can pinpoint it and save him the time.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 04:01 AM
Rock God

You said the hiss gets louder for a moment when you turn off the A/C. To me this indicates low refrigerant. You probably have a leak in your A/C system.

LS3 2007 JKU X - Red Rock, 2012 JKU Rubicon - Deep Cherry Red, 2001 TJ - Black
post #9 of 9 Old 06-21-2019, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipewa View Post
You said the hiss gets louder for a moment when you turn off the A/C. To me this indicates low refrigerant. You probably have a leak in your A/C system.
Thanks for the input! I'll look out for that too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode