'07 - '09 Lifetime Powertrain Warranty Class Action - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-15-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

'07 - '09 Lifetime Powertrain Warranty Class Action

I was pretty sure the lawsuits were going to start ramping up on the '07 - '09 Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, not ony because of the "inspection" clause, but because FCA is obviously forcing the dealers to cancel the warranties for any plausible reason. The newest of these vehicles is now about ten years old and the costs on this are no doubt climbing rapidly as the major components age and fail. We'll have to see how this progresses. FCA is playing with fire. Although this is a California based suit, the violations are Federal.

https://www.classaction.org/news/fia...ain-warranties

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-15-2019, 12:15 PM
Rock God

I read the link. People are calling the 5 year inspections a hidden and a surprise requirement.
When I bought mine in Feb '08, I read the warranty book that came with the Jeep. It is plainly written that 5 year inspections are required. It's not fine print.
I still have the 2008 Wrangler showroom brochure. In it, the lifetime warranty is addressed by telling the reader to get a copy of the warranty from the dealer. I would assume if reading the brochure, the Jeep would not have been purchased yet.
I even got notifications from Jeep several months before each required inspection.

It sounds like they are trying to blame Jeep for their own oversights.

Now, voiding the warranty for the slightest of unrelated reasons is what they should be going after.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #3 of 14 Old 03-16-2019, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
I read the link. People are calling the 5 year inspections a hidden and a surprise requirement.
When I bought mine in Feb '08, I read the warranty book that came with the Jeep. It is plainly written that 5 year inspections are required. It's not fine print.
I still have the 2008 Wrangler showroom brochure. In it, the lifetime warranty is addressed by telling the reader to get a copy of the warranty from the dealer. I would assume if reading the brochure, the Jeep would not have been purchased yet.
I even got notifications from Jeep several months before each required inspection.

It sounds like they are trying to blame Jeep for their own oversights.

Now, voiding the warranty for the slightest of unrelated reasons is what they should be going after.
The "inspection" requirement is what's shaky, but as you note it is mentioned in the Owners Manual. Lawyers will argue there's no such inspection requirement for the basic warranty, etc. I received a card from FCA when mine was due back in 2014. Dealer performed it no problems. I'm due for another next month, we'll se if they still send out the card. My local dealer service dept sucks, I hate going in there.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-19-2019, 09:56 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
The "inspection" requirement is what's shaky, but as you note it is mentioned in the Owners Manual. Lawyers will argue there's no such inspection requirement for the basic warranty, etc. I received a card from FCA when mine was due back in 2014. Dealer performed it no problems. I'm due for another next month, we'll se if they still send out the card. My local dealer service dept sucks, I hate going in there.
Have you been notified by FCA to bring your Jeep in for inspection yet? mine is due in April and i have not received anything yet. I'm planning to just call and make an appointment to get it inspected first week of April. i passed the first one 5years ago with no problem

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff

Last edited by Chris85xlt; 03-19-2019 at 09:59 AM.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-27-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85xlt View Post
Have you been notified by FCA to bring your Jeep in for inspection yet? mine is due in April and i have not received anything yet. I'm planning to just call and make an appointment to get it inspected first week of April. i passed the first one 5years ago with no problem
No. My original sale date is April 20th. Five years ago I was notified by postcard from my selling dealer. So far, crickets, but I'm getting it inspected at another dealership this weekend.

From web chatter it's fairly certain FCA is discouraging the notifications to slide more owners off the rolls. The lawsuit will go RICO if there's any internal communications instructing dealers and/or FCA service personnel to use means and methids to suppress warranty eligibility via lasck of inspection.

post #6 of 14 Old 03-27-2019, 11:46 PM
Granite Guru

I have an '08 I bought late in '07. I have gone through a 5, and a 10 year inspection. I was never notified for either of them. My Jeep has a 6" long arm, 35's, bumpers, winch, skids. They had no problem with any of it.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-28-2019, 10:12 AM
Wheeler

Due in April

Bought mine in April of 2009,getting mine inspected next week. Was sent a notification the first time 2014,but not this time.You do have to take a little responsibility. I had an oil pan gasket replaced last year with 98,000 miles and all was covered under warranty.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-09-2019, 11:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

I can tell you from going through this a few months ago they are trying to slick their way out of it thats for damn sure....

Went in last summer for an oil change and asked about the 5 year check up that was roughly due about that time, basically I was 12 days too early and would have to come back within my time window for my vehicle.... wtf... I cannot give you the hard dates but it was a narrow band of a few weeks and if you miss it your booted the f.... out.

Ron Carter Jeep, 45 south in Dickinson.....

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-11-2019, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
I can tell you from going through this a few months ago they are trying to slick their way out of it that’s for damn sure....

Went in last summer for an oil change and asked about the 5 year check up that was roughly due about that time, basically I was 12 days too early and would have to come back within my “time window for my vehicle”.... wtf... I cannot give you the hard dates but it was a narrow band of a few weeks and if you miss it your booted the f.... out.
The local dealer here has become a dick about warranty and modified Jeeps. We live in the heart of four wheeling and I guess the guy has decided he has a captive audience and he can just be a jackass. They approved my '09 JKUR in 2014, no problem. Took it in last month, dropped it off and got a call a few minutes later from their service advisor that they wouldn't inspect it because of "a lift & big tires." She suggested I take them off and put it back to stock! I told her that would likely cost about $12,000. I just wanted to know what had changed since five years before, as the JK is in virtually the identical state it had been when they approved it then. I got refered to the service manager, who should never be permitted to speak to customers, period. He went on a rant, denied they'd approved it in 2014, told me to take "that thing" to another dealer, "maybe they'll approve it, I WON'T!" When I showed him the approval from 2014 he just blew it off and said "Someone didn't know the rules." (What rules?) I told him what he was doing would likely get them in court, the jackass replied "I'd LOVE to see YOU in court!" I've been a customer of the place for 20 years and have bought several Jeeps from them, not to mention spending thousands there for parts & service. Obviously owner loyalty is concept lost on them. (Couldn't help but notice it was 1:30 PM and their shop was empty.)

So, I took his advice. There are a few other Jeep dealers near here. I made a single call, asked about getting the warranty inspection done and was up front with them about what had happened at the local dealer. Their service manager responded "I guess they don't like having good customers. We do, so bring it on in, we'll get it handled for you." Took it in at the scheduled time, everything was handled, the inspection signed off and the warranty coverage approved in something like 30 minutes.

While I was waiting the sales staff complimented the build (all of them have built rigs) and they tossed me the keys to a '19 JKUR, which I took for a spin. When the time comes they will get the business.

My local dickhead dealer will get a "Go f___ yorself" letter from me soon. So, the moral of the story, don't take no for an answer, AND, don't miss your inspection date. Dealers aren't sending out the notification postcards as they were five years ago.

Last edited by SoK66; 04-11-2019 at 06:40 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-17-2019, 10:52 AM
Rock God

Brought my jeep in last week for the 5yr inspection. Service manager said next time to bring it in earlier as i was about a week from the due date. He said the powertrain has to be in good working order with no leaks to pass and me bringing it so late might not allow enough time to get it fixed. Luckily i had no issues and passed.
Back in 2014, i brought the jeep to the dealership where i bought it from. After passing the inspection, they gave me a check list of all the stuff they looked at along with a list of mods ive done. This time i just got a receipt print out that says i passed the 5yr inspection.
Overall it was a good experience

post #11 of 14 Old 04-17-2019, 06:11 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85xlt View Post
Brought my jeep in last week for the 5yr inspection. Service manager said next time to bring it in earlier as i was about a week from the due date. He said the powertrain has to be in good working order with no leaks to pass and me bringing it so late might not allow enough time to get it fixed. Luckily i had no issues and passed.
Back in 2014, i brought the jeep to the dealership where i bought it from. After passing the inspection, they gave me a check list of all the stuff they looked at along with a list of mods ive done. This time i just got a receipt print out that says i passed the 5yr inspection.
Overall it was a good experience
Nothing wrong with bringing it in earlier than the week before, but the part about not having time to fix it doesn't make sense. There is no deadline for them to schedule getting it fixed.

Also, the inspection is due within 60 days of each 5 year anniversary of its original in-service date. According to the several dealers I asked years ago, that means 60 days prior, to 60 days after. Anywhere in that 120 day window is within 60 days of the anniversary date. I always bring mine in during the first 60 day period to avoid any interpretation arguments.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-17-2019 at 06:14 PM.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-23-2019, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Nothing wrong with bringing it in earlier than the week before, but the part about not having time to fix it doesn't make sense. There is no deadline for them to schedule getting it fixed.

Also, the inspection is due within 60 days of each 5 year anniversary of its original in-service date. According to the several dealers I asked years ago, that means 60 days prior, to 60 days after. Anywhere in that 120 day window is within 60 days of the anniversary date. I always bring mine in during the first 60 day period to avoid any interpretation arguments.
It appears there's no standard for the dealers to follow, they are just making it up as they go. One of our club members is parts & service director for a Jeep dealer that's part of a major dealer group. He said their corporate position is Jeep sold the vehicles with a warranty, and unless the customer totally neglected the vehicle or stuffed a V8 in it, they're going to pass the warranty inspection.

post #13 of 14 Old 04-24-2019, 10:08 AM
Rock God

Quote:

i was told differently when i purchased my Jeep. They told me Jeep will be strict with the inspection date as in dont miss the due date and dont bring it in too early

post #14 of 14 Old 12-05-2019, 11:14 AM

Hello. I bought my ‘07 JKU in December of ‘06 thinking I was getting a jump on a great thing. ( I still love my jeep). What I didn’t know until 2 weeks ago when my transmission died is that if I had waited 7 months the same car would have come with a lifetime Powertrain warranty. I’m sick to my stomach. This is the 3rd transmission I’ve had to put in it. There has to be a class action lawsuit for those of us who had the misfortune of purchasing the red rock. Remember Chrysler Jeep rolled out the new JKU’s by color. Has anyone heard of anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode