JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum (https://www.jkowners.com/forum/)
-   Stock JK Tech Dept. (https://www.jkowners.com/forum/stock-jk-tech-dept/)
-   -   Power steering mess (https://www.jkowners.com/forum/stock-jk-tech-dept/381202-power-steering-mess.html)

Mountainjeepgirl 11-07-2018 12:57 PM

Power steering mess

This is my first post (new member) and I’ve been looking but cannot find anything specific to my issue.
I have. 2010 jk unlimited mountain edition Jeep with a few mods, (but stock steering components). Almost 200k miles,
Just started leaking power steering fluid from what appears to be the steering box but not sure. I’m getting some overflow from the reservoir (no foam or bubbles) and it seems like I’m losing a shit ton of fluid from near the steering box, but the reservoir isn’t going down. No burning smell but a mess under the hood and under the Jeep from highway driving. I just ordered another steering box but am concerned about the pump maybe going bad. During colder months, when I first start it in the morning, it squeals for about 20 seconds. Has done this for the last couple of cold seasons. The belt “looks” fine. The fluid doesn’t look or smell burnt and I am having no noticeable steering issues, no play, no dead spots, no grinding. Any ideas from all you knowledgeable keepers? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I live in a small town and there are limited resources for trustworthy mechanics. Thank you in advance.

Rb6700 11-07-2018 01:10 PM

You have a transmission line leaking, they run right by the steering box.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mountainjeepgirl 11-07-2018 03:14 PM

Thank you, Granite Guru.
I will check those lines at first light tomorrow. does the transmission have to be under load, or in gear to leak, or will it leak some on idle? I'm having trouble getting rid of all the residual fluid on or around the engine compartment, so i'm worried if i drive it, it will blow all around, and i won't be able to see where the actual leak is. sorry if I am asking a stupid question. I like to figure things out, but have a long way to go and a lot to learn.

Rb6700 11-09-2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountainjeepgirl (Post 4440592)
Thank you, Granite Guru.
I will check those lines at first light tomorrow. does the transmission have to be under load, or in gear to leak, or will it leak some on idle? I'm having trouble getting rid of all the residual fluid on or around the engine compartment, so i'm worried if i drive it, it will blow all around, and i won't be able to see where the actual leak is. sorry if I am asking a stupid question. I like to figure things out, but have a long way to go and a lot to learn.

As soon as you start it the lines are under pressure.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk