JKOwners Forum banner

Water leak help!

4K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  j3ff3ry_j33p 
#1 ·
I am at my wit's end with a reoccurring water leak on my 16' jku. I have tried all the fixed found on the forums and YouTube . Not seem to have worked. Last night we had hard rain and I came out to a water filled driver's foot well. When testing with the water hose ,I believe it is coming in where the windshield frame and tub meet. I just can't seem to get it stopped.
I attached a picture of the same spot (not my Jeep) with the same fix.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
I had a door leak as well and just took it to the dealer and let them fix it (about the only thing I would trust them to fix, lol). It is a 2015 and was still under warranty, if I were you I would go that route.

#9 ·
I did something similar to what is shown in the pic you posted, however I positioned the weather strip/foam strip/foam rubber sponge tape (whatever you want to call it) more to the outside than inside where the windshield meets the body. More or less ran it along the edge of the bracket that bolts over the windshield and body. After doing that it "seemed" to reduce or eliminate the water I was getting inside the vehicle when it would rain.

This is the product I used and it seems to work pretty well. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002B08O2S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wonder if that's where I'm getting water in on my 2012. I just pulled the carpet the other day and found I nice size rust spot.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Let me guess, that rust spot was about where the plastic clips used to hold the floor mats in place would be rubbing the floor pan?

#10 ·
I concur with many Wrangler owners who have experienced, and continue to experience, water leaks. While I understand that a removable top is prone to leaking by design, but damn.

My 2018 JK Willys just turned (2) years old and just turned 19,300. Thus far, I have had it in (5) times @ two dealers to fix the same water leak. Today, I am back for repair number (6). The dealer near to where I live "fixed" it the first (4) times with no success. The most recent, and current visit within a week, is (65) miles one way from my house. Gas and $15 tolls each way adds up. Spoke with Jeep Cares yesterday and here I am today.

Upon check-in, the SA said that my doors weren't closing properly and that the Jeep door sill cover and Armadillo door stops may be the cause for my leak. I have had both on my Jeep since the first week of ownership. My leak began from the top after nearly (8) months.

In addition to this, the radiator (leak) and the rear gearing had to be replaced (chipped cogs or whatever) earlier this year. Due to Covid-19, my Wrangler was in for service for nearly (3) months.

This is my first owning of a Jeep product and I'm sure it will be my last. I traded up from a 15' Genesis Coupe 3.8 Ultimate and never experienced any problems. I should have listened to my wife's warning about Chrysler products. Her first (new) car was a 1994 Dodge Shadow ES that was constantly in the shop (engine, transmission). Since Chrysler/Jeep changed ownership (3) or so times since 1994, I thought I would have a better experience. Was I ever wrong!

I am sorry if I offended anyone with my long whining and complaining post. I know that many will say that "it's a Jeep, what do you expect"? However, I think that if you are paying $35K for a vehicle, it should be reliable for at least the first (3-4) years without major issues. Ready for 2020 to be over with!

#11 ·
I concur with many Wrangler owners who have experienced, and continue to experience, water leaks. While I understand that a removable top is prone to leaking by design, but damn.

My 2018 JK Willys just turned (2) years old and just turned 19,300. Thus far, I have had it in (5) times @ two dealers to fix the same water leak. Today, I am back for repair number (6). The dealer near to where I live "fixed" it the first (4) times with no success. The most recent, and current visit within a week, is (65) miles one way from my house. Gas and $15 tolls each way adds up. Spoke with Jeep Cares yesterday and here I am today.

Upon check-in, the SA said that my doors weren't closing properly and that the Jeep door sill cover and Armadillo door stops may be the cause for my leak. I have had both on my Jeep since the first week of ownership. My leak began from the top after nearly (8) months.

In addition to this, the radiator (leak) and the rear gearing had to be replaced (chipped cogs or whatever) earlier this year. Due to Covid-19, my Wrangler was in for service for nearly (3) months.

This is my first owning of a Jeep product and I'm sure it will be my last. I traded up from a 15' Genesis Coupe 3.8 Ultimate and never experienced any problems. I should have listened to my wife's warning about Chrysler products. Her first (new) car was a 1994 Dodge Shadow ES that was constantly in the shop (engine, transmission). Since Chrysler/Jeep changed ownership (3) or so times since 1994, I thought I would have a better experience. Was I ever wrong!

I am sorry if I offended anyone with my long whining and complaining post. I know that many will say that "it's a Jeep, what do you expect"? However, I think that if you are paying $35K for a vehicle, it should be reliable for at least the first (3-4) years without major issues. Ready for 2020 to be over with!
sounds like you're self diagnosis skills are non-existent. Butyl tape is the leak stopper extrordinaire .
you have some aftermarket Armadillo whatever and your doors aren't mating to body ...combine that body / door misfit together w/ " chipped cogs or something" comment you toss in the bowl & it sounds a lot like somebody didn't know wtf they were driving off-road ( or maybe only on road) ...
leaks happen as temp cycles expand & contract materials .
Learn to work on your own rig & you won't be burdened by " tolls" to/ from stealerships .

too hard to paste urls to picts of all of this ?

Msybe the Le Baron would be a more suitable vehicle for you .

( this is wtf you get for responding to a 2 yr old thread, obviously not having searched for any of the trove of info located herein about leaks and doors not sealing. Learn to us the Google's by site limited searching ...then whine.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.