JK 241J Transfercase - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rubicrawlin
  • 1 Post By Rb6700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-11-2018, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

JK 241J Transfercase

Can you upgrade the stock JK/JKU 241-J transfer case? Just curious about putting in a 4:1 planetary instead of buying a full Rubicon case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-12-2018, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

there's more than a little irony in you asking such a question as that when your forum nickname is Rubicrawlin

Do a Google search for 42RLE 'rubicrawler' or , just go here:

Rubi-Crawler : Rubi-Crawler Auxillary Crawl Box For 42RLE Transmission | Advance Adapters

I'd say as long as you can mate whatever transfer case you find you wanna run up-with your 42rle transmission, you'll be good. Terszflex might still make their little gearbox add-on crawling box , too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 08-12-2018 at 02:02 PM.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-13-2018, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thank you for he response. As for my user name it was given to me when inbuilt my competition remote control Rubicon rock Crawler. As for the real life Jeep I am actually fairly new to the 4x4 scene over the last few years. I have looked up many times different things on the T-Case question but information is very limited.

j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-13-2018, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

yup. I hope that helped a little.

You are on the right track and will learn so much if you cont to ask questions around here for anything you're having a tough time locating info on. Search just JKOwners by your google site delimiter ( e.g.- "Biggest tires 2 door Jeep JK site:jkowners.com " minus the quotation-marks)

This place is jam-packed w/ all the info you could need plus helpful suggestions from some hardcore Jeepers which'll help to get spun-up from your ( cool sounding!) RC crawler to the big-time stuff like you've got now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-13-2018, 10:38 AM
Granite Guru

You will also need to reprogram your computer once you change the transfer case. The transmission will have a fit with the new ratio.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #6 of 15 Old 08-13-2018, 02:33 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicrawlin View Post
Can you upgrade the stock JK/JKU 241-J transfer case? Just curious about putting in a 4:1 planetary instead of buying a full Rubicon case.

Yes you can swap a 241-J for a 241-OR transfer case .

It will require some programing , there is a ton of information on this site about such swaps .

A Rubicrawler will be the expensive way to go , personally it wouldn't be the way I would go if I were considering this modification .
post #7 of 15 Old 08-13-2018, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I understand swapping one out for another but the question was can I get a 4:1 planetary for my current non Rubicon 241-J case?

post #8 of 15 Old 08-13-2018, 11:09 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I understand swapping one out for another but the question was can I get a 4:1 planetary for my current non Rubicon 241-J case?

I believe it's more than just replacing the planetary gears. I read somewhere it would be cheaper finding a used Rubicon case.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-14-2018, 08:10 AM
Rock God

Quote:

You are looking at this from the wrong aspect , adding the planetary would require dollars squared , new case components , the planetary , shafts , ect….ect …

Swapping to a Rubi Transfer case would cost less than a 1,000.00 dollars for hard parts , and probably less than 1/4 the labor time to modify the 241J to the 241OR spec , plus you get to sell the 241J transfer case that is desirable to the folks doing V-8 Chevy swaps .

Try searching on this site (The Search Button) , as I said before , there is a ton of information here that has covered all of the questions that you have asked , the information is there , your questions have been covered so many times that it's redundant to many of the people here trying to answer your questions .

Do the work , there is more than sufficient information to get you where you need to be .
post #10 of 15 Old 08-14-2018, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Hey man thanks for the input. Sorry to trouble you on the question. As I read somewhere else that it was ok to ask a redundant question.

For your information I asked the question because I did not find any answers within he “Search Button” also I do not seem to have a “Search Button” Option. I do however have a “Search Bar” that many times does not pull up information I am researching at all.

I know forums are flawed when used of hand held devices as well. Have an awesome day and don’t let the small stuff bug ya. It really is petty. Just scroll past instead of getting frustrated. Always remember that you to were new once. It does take time to know everything. Glad you got there and are willing to share your wealth of knowledge.

post #11 of 15 Old 08-14-2018, 08:43 AM
Rock God

@Rubicrawlin the search function within this site is sucky. your better to go to Google and do site:jkowners.com "search". The "search" is whatever you want to learn. You will find the answers a lot easier and faster.

Glad to have you here too. At least you came back after asking a question. You are not the one post wonder.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #12 of 15 Old 08-14-2018, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the input. I will search out some stuff on google as well. So far I just have gotten mixed info. That’s fine. Enjoy your day!!

post #13 of 15 Old 08-14-2018, 08:48 AM
Wheeler

Just buy a new or used 4:1 transfer case and get an aev pro cal for the computer programming.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-14-2018, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

That is what I will be doing. I currently have a Superchips F5 FlashPac. Will have to see if it will do the programming for the new transfer case. The issue I may have is my Jeep is by VIN# a Sport. So not sure the Superchips will get me past that.

post #15 of 15 Old 08-14-2018, 09:40 AM
Rock God

Superchips doesn't care. You are just telling it what ratio is in the case.

Good choice on the direction you are taking. You can usually talk with these motor swap companies and get them to swap your t-case out with a Rubi for a few bucks, last time i check it was your t-case plus $500 to get a Rubi t-case.

2010 2 door manual sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode