Coolant flush/Radiator valve problem - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-26-2018, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Coolant flush/Radiator valve problem

Trying to flush my radiator and I ran into a bit of a problem - the stupid valve on the radiator when opened, didn't result in even as much as a drop.* Based on some google recommendations, I tried shoving a narrow zip tie into the valve to dislodge if need be... nothing... tried blowing compressed air into it... still nothing.....

So for now I just popped the lower hose and swapped as much coolant as I could that way.... pulled someplace between 6 and 7 quarts... which means that there is still plenty left.* I wanted to do the add distlled water, drain repeat to get as good of a flush as possible but I ended up doing just a partial drain and refill.

Anyways, what's up with the stupid valve???* Any ideas as to the best flush possible?

--- 2012 JKU with some goodies ---
--- 1997 XJ with even more goodies ---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-26-2018, 03:46 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kejtar View Post
Trying to flush my radiator and I ran into a bit of a problem - the stupid valve on the radiator when opened, didn't result in even as much as a drop.* Based on some google recommendations, I tried shoving a narrow zip tie into the valve to dislodge if need be... nothing... tried blowing compressed air into it... still nothing.....

So for now I just popped the lower hose and swapped as much coolant as I could that way.... pulled someplace between 6 and 7 quarts... which means that there is still plenty left.* I wanted to do the add distlled water, drain repeat to get as good of a flush as possible but I ended up doing just a partial drain and refill.

Anyways, what's up with the stupid valve???* Any ideas as to the best flush possible?
Anyway you can remove the whole petcock assembly and then push into it with zip tie in? I know some have the bung welded in place.

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-26-2018, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

You had cap off , of course. You opened lower hose so not a pressure lock...try baling-wire instead of the zip tie. Or a wire hanger all straightened . You maybe have mineral deposit so bad the zip is too pliable or too short & isn't in contact with it , maybe?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-26-2018, 09:54 PM
Granite Guru

The bottom of the radiator might be full of crap, in that case it's time for a new one.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 Old 05-27-2018, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

^this

The suggestion @Rb6700 makes is what I was gettin at as-well w/ my comment; ya maybe have so heavily encrusted or sediment buildup it’s just not gonna clear out.

If you can’t blow it out w highly compressed air or poke thru w wire , ya pretty much gotta pull the rad anyway , so may as well replace.

(I would like to be wrong but I do get the feeling that this OP is one of those that we never hear from again...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-27-2018, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

So the big question is : is it a quarter turn or a half a turn to open the drain?

When I first tried opening it (it was closed solid) I could barely move it but when it finally broke lose I was able to get the quarter turn. Then when it got to the end if the quarter turn it feels like it reached a stop. Tried forcing it a bit but it didn't budge. Didn't want to break the damn thing of.

Regarding sediment - I think if there was sediment I would see some of it in the bucket as I drained the lower hose.

Oh yeah - it's a 2012 (pre sand casting) with 45K miles.

--- 2012 JKU with some goodies ---
--- 1997 XJ with even more goodies ---

Last edited by kejtar; 05-27-2018 at 06:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode