Heater issue! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-04-2017, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Heater issue!

Hello all,

My Jeep is having a weird heating issue, I will have the heat temperature set right at medium heat and it will blow medium heat, as I continue driving it it will slowly start getting colder and colder until it starts blowing just cold air, unless I turn it on full heat. It has a new radiator, new radiator cap and heater core. I just picked up from the dealership for the 4th time tonight and they still haven't gotten it right. It has never over heated, it runs right in the middle of the temp gauge. Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-05-2017, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandeelote View Post
Hello all,

My Jeep is having a weird heating issue, I will have the heat temperature set right at medium heat and it will blow medium heat, as I continue driving it it will slowly start getting colder and colder until it starts blowing just cold air, unless I turn it on full heat. It has a new radiator, new radiator cap and heater core. I just picked up from the dealership for the 4th time tonight and they still haven't gotten it right. It has never over heated, it runs right in the middle of the temp gauge. Any help is appreciated!
just a heads up : ask for help gets more response once you include details on what you are running , year, engine, and model . Plus, what results you came up with from the internet searches that yield nothing .
Welcome to JKOwners.

Now, not having much info , did you or whomever replaced all those parts actually flush the coolant passages and the block? I've heard some mid years JKs had casting sand in block and needed 4-5 flushes ,fwiw.
Also, did you witness them purge ANY possible air in the coolant system out yourself ? It sounds like cavitation or air in your system . Faulty Water pumps can also result in similar symptoms.

A helpful troubleshoot is , is the cold air when heat set to "on" occurring in all vents on both sides or just driver side?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 04-05-2017 at 06:06 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-05-2017, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Sorry about that! It's a 2013 wrangler unlimited, 3.6. The dealership said that they were no air pockets in the cooling system and its working fine. The thing is they aren't driving it long enough to experience the malfunction. Also it's blowing cold air through all the vents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-05-2017, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Okay so I was on my way to work and I was messing with the heat controls and I had it on medium heat blowing full blast, I turned it to full heat and didn't feel a difference. I turned it below medium and I didn't feel a difference until I almost reached full cold then I started blowing cold air. Turned it back to medium and continued driving and it slowly got colder and colder until it was just cold air. From what I have researched it doesn't sound like a blend door... I'm not sure though, has anybody else ever had similar issues? Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance!
post #5 of 8 Old 04-05-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Is anybody else having the same issues or has anybody else ever had the same issue?
post #6 of 8 Old 04-05-2017, 02:59 PM
Rock God

Garage

I've had my heat die off at low RPMs due to air in the system, but not what you are describing.

It might be worth testing the temperature of the hoses feeding the heater core. If one is hot and one is not, it's a liquid flow issue (air lock, plugged core etc.) If they are both hot, then I'd think it was more of an air flow issue ie blend door or maybe the HVAC temp control.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #7 of 8 Old 04-05-2017, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help all. Also, the dealership I've been dealing with used green antifreeze when they did the heatercore. Could that be a cause of this issue?
post #8 of 8 Old 02-11-2020, 11:45 PM

My heater also blew only cold air but the vehicle was also overheating a bit. First thing I checked was the air mixture arm. It's very easy to do just look it up. But the interesting thing is that just by adding a cup of distilled water and a cup of 100% Mopar antifreeze to my JK made everything work again basically. I also burped the radiator by taking off the cap turning on the vehicle letting it run for like 2 or 3 minutes and then put the cap back on. I'm not sure if that's exactly how you burp it but it works for me and I could probably work for you if you're having a heater issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode