Recommendations on replacing catalytic converter? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CoastalSharkTagging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 02-26-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Recommendations on replacing catalytic converter?

So the dealer says my catalytic converter is bad as well as all 4 O2 sensors. '08 with 166000 miles on it. Cost for the converter alone is $1600. I have the sensors and have looked at what is out there for the converter. Any one replace theirs and any thoughts? I see Pace Setter has the y pipe with 4 converters for $400, and Walker has it for $500. Figured I might add a cat back system while I'm at it Thoughts?

If you're gonna be fucking weird, own it.

~SoCo
______
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-26-2017, 11:25 AM
Granite Guru

Why are your O2's bad???? If they are not switching or are shorted then okay. If they are setting heater codes then it probably is the PCM. The dealer has some info on this through tech support.

2014 JKUR, 2.5 JKS lift, Poison Spyder flares and covers
post #3 of 11 Old 02-26-2017, 06:39 PM
Granite Guru

The dealer will always replace all o2 sensors with a cat change. It's one of them rather safe than sorry deals. Your best bet is aftermarket for the cat and sensors.

Pissing off my wife since way back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-27-2017, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Any recommendations on aftermarket cat?

If you're gonna be fucking weird, own it.

~SoCo
______
post #5 of 11 Old 03-20-2017, 10:12 AM

I've got the check engine light and had it diagnosed. My O2s were apparently functioning A-Okay, but the cat was done.

I went with the pacesetter based on price alone. ~$400 fulfilled and shipped direct from Amazon. My local Midas said they'd install it for $200.00. I'll be out ~$600.00 compared to:
$1,600 Dealer Quote
$1,700 Midas quote for part & labor
$1,043.00 Pronto (in Plano, TX)
$1,200 Integrity First (in Plano, TX)

I actually trust the dealership in Plano, they've done a good job. Outside of the dealership, Integrity First is quite honest. I don't know anything about Pronto but was told they are typically the cheapest in town for parts and labor.

Doing it the Amazon way, I'll have warranty on the labor only, no warranty on the part except that which would have to go through Amazon.

Let me know what you end up doing. I'll post back (if I can remember) with how things work out for me.

I've got an '09 with ~140,000 miles.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-28-2017, 01:31 PM

Okay, parts and labor, $620.00. I ended up going to Meineke as they were closer to my house. Cost me $20 more, but worth the convenience.
So far, my throttle response seems to be better. No weird rattling sound. Exhaust note is a bit louder. I think the Pacesetters are more free flowing than stock. They are mandrel bent.
No check engine light and it's been 150 miles.
I'll take it for emissions inspection later this week.

'09 with stuff
post #7 of 11 Old 06-26-2018, 06:10 AM

Updates?

My 2010 JKU popped a DTC related to the catalytic converters and I was looking to replacing them with the Pacesetter header/cat combo. Did you have to tune the ECM as well?
Donut707 likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-26-2018, 04:59 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalSharkTagging View Post
Updates?

My 2010 JKU popped a DTC related to the catalytic converters and I was looking to replacing them with the Pacesetter header/cat combo. Did you have to tune the ECM as well?

Gentlemen,

Many times when you have a catalytic emissions error, it is the aft sensor on that bank (bank 1 = driver's side; bank 2 = passenger side; sensor 1 = pre-cat; sensor 2 = post-cat).

Simple test you can do to see if the O2 sensor bit the dust. Take it out (unhook it from the wire, remove it from the exhaust system) and put it next to your ear and shake it. Does it rattle? If so, it needs replaced. 99% of the time when my friends and I used to get the same type of errors, that was the issues. Also, no idea what mileage you have on your jeep, but if its getting close to 100k miles, it may be time for O2 sensors. That always seemed to be my magic number for some odd reason....

Coastal,
I'm going to talk from experience on 98-02 Fbodies. When we put aftermarket headers/ypipe on the cars, we didn't need to tune the cars, but they did run rich. We would then have it tuned and it ran much better and didn't throw a "no kittens" code.

No idea what year/engine you have, but I would advise to have it tuned. A real tune, not a hand held tuner tune.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #9 of 11 Old 06-28-2018, 05:39 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalSharkTagging View Post
Updates?

another option you can use is a "plug de-fowler". I got a set for 18 bucks on Amazon. all the de-fowler does is pull the O2 sensor out of the exhaust stream a bit to simulate less oxygen. I have a cat on its way out and got a check engine light. I put the de-fowler in on the aft O2 sensor and no more light. I also think I have a cracked manifold on my 3.8 (160k). so I'm planning on going with a set of pacesetter long tube headers with there y-pipe running the O2 de-fowlers to keep the check engine light out.

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Sensor-S...apter+Extender

Do no harm but take NO SHIT
post #10 of 11 Old 07-17-2018, 09:48 AM
Wheeler

Garage
I just DIY replaced the cats. I would try O2 sensors first.

I was getting EGR flow low and catalyst below 90% check engine lights and codes.

2009 3.8 automatic, 130,000 miles. left side exhaust manifold cracked (again.) Emissions test due.

I used a $600ish set of cats from ebay. front bosch o2 sensors and rear mopar o2 sensors from rock auto. Those all fit just fine.

The Dorman branded, made in china exhaust manifold is the worst casting I've ever seen. #1 cylinder isn't even close to the shape of the gasket and port on the head. The chinese casting has threaded holes for the headpipe and a threaded hole and bolt instead of a stud for the heat shield. The included heat shield was 1 piece and about 1/2 the coverage compared to original. The previous Dorman manifold was fine and looked/fit exactly like the original. It also cracked exactly like the original.

Getting the old y pipes down wasn't too bad. There was just enough room to pull it down. Getting the replacement system back up was way more challenging. Sure it is in 2 pieces, so you would think it would be easier, but it was not. I ended up removing a front suspension link, and I had to drop the transmission crossmember (automatic 3.8). Lower the back of the transmission, pull the exhaust pipe rubber hangers off...Finally I got the driver's side back under there. All bolted up, the "Y" of the pipes hit or are way too close to the transmission mounts on the framerail. It just doesn't fit like the original and this is a game of millimeters of clearance. Also, with a traditional muffler clamp in the middle of the crossover pipe, you can't put the skid plate back on and there is no heat shield on this crossover pipe right in front of the transmission pan. Looks hot.

The pipes are louder, the holes in the catalyst matrix are larger, the exhaust is slightly louder too. Power seems to be the same.

the rig passed the IM240 emissions test no problems at all. CO was 3. something out of 15 max. HC and NOx were a long, long way from the maximums.

In retrospect, I might have been able to simply replace all 4 o2 sensors and solved the EGR flow low AND cat efficiency errors. Given the cost and pain in the ass factor of the catalytic converters, It would be worth trying new O2 sensors even if they are hard to reach.

Pull the inner fenders. It is worth it to get to the exhaust manifold to headpipe bolts.

Last edited by rudycon; 07-17-2018 at 09:55 AM.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-04-2019, 01:49 PM
Rock God

Iím happy to hear yíall are having good luck with cat replacements. I have a Ď08 with 110,000 miles and I have replaced the EGR, Cats, 2 different sets of 02 sensors, welded up my cracked driver side mani, smoke tested my exhaust and the engine looking for leaks, and checked all grounds including the 02 sensor main ground to no avail. Still the same p0430, catalyst efficiency below threshold. Iím at a loss. Sorry to bump an old thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rescue Green NSG370
RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

A lot more to come very soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode