Steering Attenuator - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 Old 11-15-2014, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Steering Attenuator

I kind of laughed at this thing as first. After talking to the designer, getting to know him and the company he works for. I'm Now very interested in it.
http://performancestability-ps.com/

This installs in place of the factory drag link buckle. I want to say it's like a stabilizer but it's not.

Here's a response from Ron.

My name is on the Attenuator patent and would like to answer some of the questions that have been asked.
We have been manufacturing steering linkages and components for over 80 years. We developed this product with years of steering linkage experience. This product has been fully tested and designed to last. It does not replace the damper as some have asked or fix wheel wobble. However, it will reduce the road harshness and reduce snap oversteer during sudden steering maneuvers.
There are no packaging issues with the attenuator, it clears all original equipment components.

And another:

You guys have very good questions and very good input.

We do not manufacture the two absorb-er's built into the relay rod for the Cadillac Escalade, but, we do manufacture the compliant relay rods for the short wheel base 2500 to 4500 GM trucks. Over the past four years we have over 300,000 of these compliant relay rods on the roads with no warranty issues from GM. We used the same compliant concept when developing the Attenuator for the Jeep.

Our Attenuator was not designed or developed to replace the stabilizer or dampers on vehicles, however, GM does not install a damper on vehicles that have our compliant relay rods.

One of the surprising features that we discovered during durability runs is that it eliminated the direct steel path from the wheel hub to the frame. This made a difference in the harshness that a driver feels from various different road conditions like the tar strips in roads. Doesn't eliminate the harshness but tries to match the rate of the suspension bushings.

To answer your question regarding the modified jeep, yes this product is as durable as the stock drag link. We have many test comparing this product to the stock linkage.

No affiliation btw. He did ask for me to test one. UnFortunately I'm running a synergy drag link. Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1416060555.614167.jpg
Views: 2656
Size:  239.5 KB

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers

Last edited by kjeeper10; 12-10-2014 at 05:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 11-16-2014, 04:02 AM
Rock God

Interesting idea. I wonder if it gives just a slight sense of mushiness to the steering, similar to driving on the road aired down.

Would be interesting to try one out, but I don't know if it's worth $130.
post #3 of 57 Old 11-16-2014, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
Interesting idea. I wonder if it gives just a slight sense of mushiness to the steering, similar to driving on the road aired down.

Would be interesting to try one out, but I don't know if it's worth $130.

Try $200 it was first listed at

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 Old 11-16-2014, 04:28 PM
JKowners Vendor

sounds like snake oil....
Quote:
reduce snap oversteer during sudden steering maneuvers

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 57 Old 11-16-2014, 05:22 PM
V8 dreams

throw some pics up when ya get it on...i'm confuzzed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
post #6 of 57 Old 11-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Performance, Inc View Post
The only way I could think it could do that is if it delays or dampens steering changes under sudden input. Which is one reason why I wondered if it introduces any "mushiness" or numbness. I was surprised when they said in the video that people who had it installed on their Jeep noted increased steering response. I would think there would be very little change, but less if anything.

Who knows. That's why I said it would be interesting to try, but not worth $130.

I would be willing to test it out and give an honest opinion on this site if it was a bit cheaper.
post #7 of 57 Old 11-16-2014, 05:39 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
It replaces the normal adjustment collar/clamp on the drag link. There is a video on their site (linked in the OP) that describes its function.
post #8 of 57 Old 11-16-2014, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

http://youtu.be/fqOZMibSTfo

The company makes steering oem steering parts for fiat/Chrysler, Ford and GM.
http://www.powersandsonsllc.com/index.html

There's couple out for review, and I expect honest feedback.

post #9 of 57 Old 11-17-2014, 12:01 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Performance, Inc View Post

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.
post #10 of 57 Old 12-08-2014, 09:03 AM
JKowners Vendor

Smile Good reviews

My company manufactures the Steering Attenuator and I would be glad to answer any questions that some of you might have regarding our steering attenuator.
We have had several of the Jeep Wrangler Forum members install this attenuator on their Wranglers and they all have given it a good review.
We have over six years of experience when adding compliant rates to steering linkages. Our products are tested both in our test labs and durability vehicles. This product does make the steering feel better but most important it makes vehicles safer by reducing snap oversteers during sudden steering maneuvers.
So please, if you have any questions or want additional information, don't hesitate to contact me. My handle is "Complaint".
post #11 of 57 Old 12-08-2014, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post

Here's a pic Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1418089081.056187.jpg
Views: 2844
Size:  299.9 KB

post #12 of 57 Old 12-08-2014, 08:09 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compliant View Post
My company manufactures the Steering Attenuator and I would be glad to answer any questions that some of you might have regarding our steering attenuator.
We have had several of the Jeep Wrangler Forum members install this attenuator on their Wranglers and they all have given it a good review.
We have over six years of experience when adding compliant rates to steering linkages. Our products are tested both in our test labs and durability vehicles. This product does make the steering feel better but most important it makes vehicles safer by reducing snap oversteers during sudden steering maneuvers.
So please, if you have any questions or want additional information, don't hesitate to contact me. My handle is "Complaint".
I appreciate you coming on here to answer questions. Keep in mind, vendors are expected to purchase a yellow star in order to market products on this site. Just FYI.

I understand that the elimination of a direct metal connection could help reduce NVH, but it would seem hard for a forum member to accurately (or safely) test the reduced tendency to snap oversteer. Do you have any more details or data about the reduction in snap oversteer to support your claim that product makes the vehicle "safer"? People can speculate all day long, but it would help to hear your reasoning. Your site/videos go into detail about why it reduces NVH, but simply states that it reduces snap oversteer and moves on, not really giving details. The anecdotal (and seemingly hearsay, as Dylan is simply relaying what the Jeep's owners told him after he installed the part on their vehicle) quote that the vehicle "feels more safe to drive" is a bit weak.

I also read this on your site in reference to death wobble: "While many fixes are claimed, the Attenuator has the solution all in one improvement part." It seems you are claiming this component is a fix for "death wobble"? If so, that's a mighty big claim.

I don't mean to come off as argumentative or confrontational. I'm just naturally skeptical, and since you offered to answer questions, I figured I'd oblige you with some.

Lastly, I noticed the address listed on your site is Montpelier Ohio. Is that a location that the public (such as myself) could go? Is it set up for any sort of public interaction (i.e., sales, product or testing displays, demos or tours, hand-out literature, etc.)? If not that's fine, just curious as I get out that way for work occasionally and could stop by sometime.
post #13 of 57 Old 12-08-2014, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

... Good post ^^^.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #14 of 57 Old 12-09-2014, 06:25 AM
JKowners Vendor

Good questions.
Of course we don't design a product like this over night. There's a lot of fact finding before you start the concept. Lots of data collected from vehicles and data received from the OEM. We mount instruments that measure data during road performance before and after modifications.
In this case, accelerometer data has been collected on various drag links for both the production model and our attenuator model. This data is collected for various road conditions and speeds. After many grafted result comparisons show more linear response and damped aftershock when performing quick lane changes. Plus, you can feel this improvement when driving the vehicle. Vertical acceleration on rough roads have also improved.
We have also completed lab testing making sure that we haven't degraded any of the performance of the original equipment links. Prior to even starting prototypes we have run many FEA computer simulations for finding any unwanted stresses in components.
Death wobble is a different problem and our attenuator will not address these issues.
Another question regarding our location.
Manufacturing is located in Montpelier, Ohio. We are a manufacture of OEM linkages. Our engineering, prototyping and testing in also done in this location. Our R&D location is located in Plymouth Michigan. In the past we have not done tours of our manufacturing facility, only to potential OEM customers. However, I would be glad to give a tour to a jeep club or group if planned ahead.
Good questions. Thanks BigTB.
Compliant
post #15 of 57 Old 12-09-2014, 07:20 AM
Rock God

Garage

Subscribing for reviews...

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #16 of 57 Old 12-09-2014, 09:23 AM

Delete

2013 Black JKR
The Wolf is not concerned, with the needs of the Hunter!

Last edited by Big Dog; 12-09-2014 at 10:27 AM.
post #17 of 57 Old 12-09-2014, 10:23 AM

I would like to start out by saying, that I don't work for Compliant (Ron), or have any stocks or holdings in his Company. And I am not here to try to promote, or sell you anything, but rather offer a opinion on a product.

I was selected by Compliant to test/evaluate his Attenuator in a unbiased fashion. Ron's exact words to me were, if you like it, then say why, but also if you don't then also say why. His reasoning was twofold. I have a extensive back ground in Mechanics and Supervision of same, plus I have owned Jeeps and UTV'S for most of my life. Also I currently have a 2013 JKR, factory stock short wheel base, with out any MODS. This was his preference for the evaluation.

Since Kjeeper10 has already shown you a picture of it, then let's get to the spec's:
The overall length is approx. 6". About the same as the original TB adjusting sleeve. The Cylinder Diameter is approx. 2.5", sleeve thickness approx. 1/8" and it weighs in at a hefty approx. 5 lbs.
WOW, this is one Rugged HD Built Attenuator!!!!!

Now for the install, which takes about one hour.
In my case, because of the stock factory wheel BS (Back Spacing) of 6.25, then it did require the removal of the passenger side tire/wheel. This was to access the TB mounting stud nut. Just loosen the nut. Next apply some downward pressure on the bar, and rap the knuckle with a hammer. Mine took two hits and the stud was loose. I sprayed the steering box link with WD40 and started to engage the Attenuator thread onto the link, but at the same time engaging the TB Threads to keep equal thread penetration. If you take you time on the adjustment, just until ball stud lines back up with the knuckle hole, then your steering wheel will stay in alignment.
Torque the DL nut to 63 ft lbs, the Attenuator clamps to 26 ft. lbs, and your wheel to 100 ft. lbs.
The install took about one hour, for this old guy.

Now for the road test. Please keep in mind, that I really didn't have any tire balance issues to start with. Mine have already been Road Forced!
I took it on a 80 mile round trip for Thanksgiving.

1. I noticed when changing lanes, that some of the sensitivity had been buffered out of it. It actually felt somewhat safer at high speeds. High speeds to my freeway driving is 70 to 75 MPH.

2. You could tell that the steering gear has been somewhat isolated from the steering linkage Vibrations. But since I didn't have a tire, or balance issue to start with, the improvement was minimal at best.

3. To visit one of my relatives, I have to travel over a washboard road. This is really a nasty road, that just doesn't get maintained.
The shaking in the steering wheel that I was so accustom too, was almost non-existing. Most of the harshness was absorbed and eliminated.
This is where the Attenuator really shines, with this major improvement!!!!!!

Let me tell you what it doesn't do.

1.It doesn't give you a better ride

2. It doesn't replace your worn out steering linkage, and the notorious weak link Ball Joints. Here you need to replace whatever is worn, and upgrade your Ball Joints to a HD grease-able type. I like Synergy.

3. It won't fix your tire balance issues. 35's, 37,s and 40,s should be Tire Trued, and RF (Road Forced) Balanced.

4. It will not fix your DW (Death Wobble). Number one (1) cause, TB bolts coming loose and elongating the mounting bracket holes. Weld washers to the mounting brackets and install 9/16" shouldered NF Grade 8 Bolts. On some of the newer models, you may have to stick with the 14MM, but make sure that it is a shouldered bolt.

In closing, the Attenuator performs in a excellent manner, as per it's advertisement.
It exceeded my expectations, and I am really excited to see such a quality product available for our Wranglers.

If I didn't have a test unit, would I purchase one? Yes I would, and it would already be on order!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for reading my lengthy review!

Cheers!!!!!!

2013 Black JKR
The Wolf is not concerned, with the needs of the Hunter!

Last edited by Big Dog; 12-09-2014 at 10:36 AM.
post #18 of 57 Old 12-09-2014, 11:22 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compliant View Post
Good questions.
Of course we don't design a product like this over night. There's a lot of fact finding before you start the concept. Lots of data collected from vehicles and data received from the OEM. We mount instruments that measure data during road performance before and after modifications.
In this case, accelerometer data has been collected on various drag links for both the production model and our attenuator model. This data is collected for various road conditions and speeds. After many grafted result comparisons show more linear response and damped aftershock when performing quick lane changes. Plus, you can feel this improvement when driving the vehicle. Vertical acceleration on rough roads have also improved.
We have also completed lab testing making sure that we haven't degraded any of the performance of the original equipment links. Prior to even starting prototypes we have run many FEA computer simulations for finding any unwanted stresses in components.
Death wobble is a different problem and our attenuator will not address these issues.
Another question regarding our location.
Manufacturing is located in Montpelier, Ohio. We are a manufacture of OEM linkages. Our engineering, prototyping and testing in also done in this location. Our R&D location is located in Plymouth Michigan. In the past we have not done tours of our manufacturing facility, only to potential OEM customers. However, I would be glad to give a tour to a jeep club or group if planned ahead.
Good questions. Thanks BigTB.
Compliant
Compliant, I'll make you a deal. Buy a yellow vendor star on this forum and I'll order an Attenuator and post up a detailed review once it's installed (including pictures). Sound fair?
post #19 of 57 Old 12-09-2014, 01:18 PM
Rock God

In my opinion, which is worthless cuz I don't have any experience with the product, I'm reminded of Harley's rubber-mounted handlebars and those goofy, fat, sponge handgrips some people like to put on.
All they do is reduce forces transmitted to and from the rider. In that respect, "Attenuator" is a proper name.

Along those lines, this type of device is forgiving in its delivery of forces, equally, it's forgiving in its transmission of forces. Imagine asking the vehicle to steer, there is momentary delay while the attenuator sucks up some of that force you're transmitting. Then, it releases it. This most certainly accounts for any increased steering response feel, but it's a false sense of response.

Given the propensity of the average driver/rider to inadequately handle their vehicle in the first place, it's just a crutch, masking their inability to understand the value of a direct connection to the pavement, let alone deal with it in its harsh reality. They aren't gonna sense that the initial steering input has been dampened; all they feel is it springing to life. "Wow! This is great!"

No, it's not.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...these ain't for sportbikes or Formula1 cars.

Don't want to feel the road? Turn off the vibration on your game console controller.
Want to drive around in a Thorazine stupor? Sure, get one. It won't make your vehicle drive better, it just masks what your vehicle is doing.
Safer? That's subjective. Most idiots on the road only have, and know, one reaction to an emergency maneuver situation, brakes.

I have no use for a two-way spring in my steering system, dampened or otherwise.
post #20 of 57 Old 12-09-2014, 04:16 PM
JKowners Vendor

Yep.....when Porsche, BMW, any race team starts using these them maybe but right now I WANT to have as much direct input from my steering system as possible. Now that said maybe great for someone driving a 60's Buick who doesn't want any feed back in their steering.

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

post #21 of 57 Old 12-09-2014, 05:45 PM
Rock God

Garage

There are sure a lot of times on fast forest roads I'd wished for a little less road feedback for sure. We do all kinds of things that lessen the feel of the road, taller sidewalls, lower tire pressures, softer springs and shocks..... Seems to me that this thing would fit right in. Our JKs will never bee a sports car. I don't need to feel the paint stripes on the road through the steering wheel.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #22 of 57 Old 12-09-2014, 10:07 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guruman View Post
We do all kinds of things that lessen the feel of the road, taller sidewalls, lower tire pressures, softer springs and shocks.....
. . . hydro assist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guruman View Post
Seems to me that this thing would fit right in. Our JKs will never bee a sports car. I don't need to feel the paint stripes on the road through the steering wheel.
Amen! Maybe I'm getting old, but unproductive feedback is no longer desirable to me.
My '67 F250 had manual steering and 4 wheel drum brakes (as "manly" as a truck gets except it was automatic).
I miss that truck, but the '71 F250 I have now has P/S, A/T, and disc brakes. It's a lot nicer to drive (but A/C would be nice . . . crap, I am getting old).

Hey, Compliant - I have hydro assist and don't need the draglink thingamawidget, but if you put an elastomer link in the rattly steering shaft, I'd buy that.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #23 of 57 Old 12-09-2014, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
re:Steering Attenuator

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 12-09-2014 at 11:23 PM. Reason: <implying that this is basically what has been brought to the JK by this; it doesnt fix any prob but 'feels' safer/softer >
post #24 of 57 Old 12-10-2014, 01:40 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post

Amen! Maybe I'm getting old, but unproductive feedback is no longer desirable to me.
Perhaps this will make it productive...
With attenuator - "Whoa, that was a big bump".
W/O Attenuator - "Damn, I better get out and check for damage".
post #25 of 57 Old 12-10-2014, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

:rofl: that's just funny.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode