JKOwners Forum banner

Intermittent Winch Problems

11K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  j3ff3ry_j33p 
#1 ·
The Warn M8000 winch was purchased by my friends company about five years ago but never used as they decided to upgrade to a 12,000 pound winch instead. It sat in a storage room for about four years of that time then another year sitting on the front porch in Arizona exposed to elements.

After hooking it all up it seems to intermittently not work. I can walk up randomly and free spool the cable out twenty feet and then start to cycle it in. I do five feet at a time in this test. I can do maybe ten feet then on the third cycle it plays dead! I come back and do the same thing five minutes later and it works... Completely random and the length of time it works is also random. Warn said its maybe a ground issue for when the motor is not grounded it will appear to be dead.

Thoughts?

#4 ·
My current ground is kinda red neck so I went out after work and got new materials.

I cut the factory 6 inch ground wire and spliced in a wire of similar gauge about four feet long and ran it to a bolt above the fender well that is grounded. I could not find a end for the wire so I simply stripped it and mashed it between the bolt and body...

Tomorrow I will re-run the ground.

Note - I tested the "method" with a light and everything worked for thirty minutes straight so I thought the winch would be fine too. Time will tell...

Will update tomorrow.

#5 ·
The Warn 8000 originally came with 72 inches of red (positive) and 72 inches of black (negative) #2 gauge wire which they want connected directly to the battery.

You should replace the black wire with one long enough to reach the battery. You should not run such a high current device with a splice in the line nor should it be grounded as you describe. Surely, problems with the current draw of the winch will develop.

You probably used the splice and the mashing of the wires under the bolt as only a test to ensure the winch would work and will install the ground wire correctly after your tests.

#6 ·
Correct, the idea of mashing the wires was to ensure everything worked. It does, just not for long and it appears to be a widespread issue. Most likely the ground is not causing the issue but a bad solenoid is. Not really sure yet...

The 72 inch red and black wires go directly to the battery as intended are are not spliced in any way. The one that is spliced and "smashed" is the much small wire labeled "motor ground" that comes from the solenoid box not the winch itself.

#9 ·
Winch Trouble Shooting Guide

The following Trouble Shooting Tips are a collection of the 10 most frequent problems that we encounter. Most of these are electrical problems and are easily solved.

Problem #1
Winch will not operate in either direction when the remote control is activated, no sound from the solenoids.
Cause:
A) The solenoids are not properly grounded.
B) The electrical wire terminals or the battery terminals are corroded.
C) The motor brush holder is not grounding to the motor housing.

Corrective Action:
· Attach the solenoid ground wire to the motor housing. On older control packs with out a ground wire attach the solenoid mounting plate to a good ground location.
· Clean all electrical wire terminals and battery terminals. All contact surfaces should be shiny.
· Remove motor brush plate and clean corrosion from edge of motor housing.

Problem #2
Winch will not operate in the Power “IN” mode.
Cause:
A) The pins inside the remote control plug have been pushed out of position or bent, preventing contact with the corresponding receptacle in the control box.
B) One of the power “IN” solenoids is sticking or is damaged from prolonged use, which has overheated the solenoid.
C) The thermal protective switch is defective, or has tripped because the motor has over heated (old M-10000’s and industrial winches)

Corrective action:
· Replace the remote control receptacle or plug, or complete unit.
· Replace the defective solenoid.
· Allow the winch motor to cool for about 20 minutes. The thermal switch will reset automatically.

Problem #3
When the remote control switch is activated there is only a “clicking sound”, and the winch does not operate in either mode.

Cause:
A) The battery is: Not fully charged, Terminals are corroded, Battery is defective or worn out.
B) Electrical grounding wire is not attached to the motor housing.
C) The motor armature is damaged or shorted, possible from incorrect wiring of the control pack to the motor, or overheating of the motor.
D) Water in the motor, caused by submersion or improper installation of the motor, or the motor was not allowed to drain properly, causing an electric short.
E) Worn or damaged brushes, caused by damaged armature commutator or normal wear.

Corrective action:

· Clean the battery terminals and wire terminals.
· Attach the electric ground wire to the motor housing.
· Recharge battery
· Replace the motor brushes.
· Replace the motor armature.
· Replace the motor.

Problem #4:
Winch does not have the same “pulling power” as when new.

See causes and corrective action for Problem 3.

Problem #5:
Winch runs very slow and lacks power when pulling a load, won’t pull a load, or stalls easily.

Cause:
A) See cause and corrective action for problems 3 and 4.
B) Check the wire rope. If it is spooling onto the drum in the wrong direction, winch will be working against the automatic brake.

Corrective Action:

· Remove all the wire rope and respool onto the drum in the proper direction. Note: be sure to observe the drum rotation decal.

Problem #6:
Electrical sparks are seen from around the motor adapter or screw heads.

Cause:
A) Electric ground is not sufficient. Either the ground wire has not been installed, or the battery wires and wire terminals are corroded.

Corrective action:

· Install the ground wire that was supplied with the winch to the motor housing, and attach to the negative terminal of the battery.
· Also see Cause and Corrective Action for problems 3,4 and 5.

Problem #7:
Winch motor gets Hot very quickly.

Cause:

A) Motor bushing in the motor end cap is tight.
B) Motor armature is damaged or shorted, possibly from incorrect wiring of the control box, or overheating the motor on a previous pull.

Corrective Action:

· Use emery cloth on the bushing and motor shaft.
. Replace the motor.

Problem #8:
Winch does not freespool, or is very difficult to freespool.

Cause:

A) 8274 Models only: The brake locks up as the wire rope is pulled out.
B) For all planetary gear models only: The sliding clutch ring gear may have a burr on the outside diameter which is interfering with the inside diameter of the gear housing. The can be caused from disengaging and engaging the clutch while the winch is under a load.
C) Grease, rust of dirt has gotten between the outside diameter of the clutch ring gear and the inside diameter if the gear housing.
D) The drum flanges are bent outward from the wire rope, stacking up on one end of the drum and forcing outward against the drum flange.

Corrective action:

· For M8274, try pulling the wire rope off the drum slowly and with even pressure, don’t jerk it.
· Remove the burr and lightly oil the surfaces. Do not grease.
· Remove all the grease, rust and dirt from surfaces and lightly oil.
· Straighten drum flanges or replace drum.

Problem #9:
Kinks and/or broken strands in the wire rope.

Cause:

A) Kinks and broken strands are caused by improper use, and can usually be prevented or at least minimized by following the suggestions in the winch manual.

Corrective action:

· It is virtually impossible to prevent the wire rope from sustaining damage during use. It is possible to minimize the damage by rewinding the wire rope carefully, under a load of approximately 500 pounds after each use. Refer to the winch owner’s manual for proper procedure.

Problem #10:
Clutch won’t operate.

Cause:

A) There is grease, dirt or rust between the outside of the sliding ring gear and the inside of the gear housing.

Corrective action:

· Clean the surfaces of the sliding ring gear and gear housing.
· Coat the surfaces lightly with oil. Do not grease.
· Check the splines on the end housing for burrs. (mid-range winches only)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.