Still not Fast, but now Less Furious
I've never been completely happy with the exhaust, so the wild-hair-up-ass genie finally gave me a shove.
To make room for a resonator (and because it's a bit thrashed) this 2.5 gallon Viair tank had to go:
You can also see where the exhaust ran right up to the rear track bar, then shot out at the least-shitty angle I could find.
Fun fact: if you land on an air tank and smash the bejeezus out of its mounting bracket, disassembly may be a pain in the 'taint.
I was this >< close to cutting shit apart wildly to pull that damned tank (I was so pissed )
OK, tank drama over, clear palette with the exception of the track bar cock-blocking my dreams of an over-axle exhaust:
So . . . Teraflex TB coming out, Metalcloak TB going in:
The Metalcloak TB only gained me ~1.5 inches, but that was enough to let the magic happen
With my new gold bling in place (will get painted next time I pull it out), I could start building my exhalation super highway:
Don't have a TIG, and didn't have the right gas mix (used 75/25), so I did lap joints instead of butt joints. Pipe stretcher is a handy tool
No worries about strength, but I coulda' made it purrrdy w/ TIG.
Oh well, fuck it - it's a Jeep exhaust, not a show car anything.
First mockup (and I drove it a couple days this way):
Holy crap - what a difference - at least 3dB reduction all around, and no more reverb down low nor raspy chit when I wind it out (often ).
Oh, also in the photo above: the guard for my air tank drain began life as a "military grade" aluminum toe cap in a Timberland safety shoe.
Finished it up this weekend. Welded on that straight hanger rod, and welded the tailpipe and 90 to the (Vibrant 1141) resonator.
Bent another 1/2" SS hanger rod and welded it to a gusset on the Synergy shock mount bar.
The hanger rod already on the recycled tailpipe, I captured in a cut-off and drilled-out piece from a leftover swaybar end link.
The bastardized end link is welded to a scrap bracket w/ anti-rotate tab welded on. Bolts to a single factory crossmember hole.
It's not very flexible compared to the (3) factory-style rubber isolators on my exhaust, but I don't anticipate it cracking or failing.
Most importantly: stuff the driver's side, and you won't smack the exhaust
It's not factory ninja-stealthy, but appreciably quieter and better sounding than a week ago.
Everything about the exhaust that pissed me off before, is gone - WIN!
PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
Last edited by ExWrench; 05-12-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Reason: Wording tuneup - better now :)