ExWrench's Oddball Mods + Sneaky Stretch - Page 8 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #176 of 181 Old 05-12-2019, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Random Dude

*cough* Wow - 11 months' worth of dust on my thread

Between a bit of scheduled house work and a few unscheduled emergencies, my garage saw near-zero fab. for 8.5 months

All that bullshit is over and I can catch up on life, so let's dial the wayback machine to a (pre-goat rodeo) time known as last summer

My oddball fender fookery worked great (please excuse the poser shot) - tires stuffed nicely and didn't rub:

For my B&M shifter + shift lever, I played around with a handful (no pun intended) of shift handle options.
Here's most of them:

I burned through ~20 bucks in hardware and little time to try a bunch of options.
Good learning experience, dirt-cheap prototyping, would do it all again.
It was also a Jeep project I could do while effectively garage-less.

By far, the most fun to drive with is 2nd from left above, giving me this Rat Fink - esque monster:

Only problem with that = it made reaching the HVAC controls a potentially unsafe shit show, so . . . fawk that one.

The winner of the eclectic handle contest was this one (the one with a knob in the lineup photo above):

Offset to the right to center the knob where it "should" be, and back a bit so I don't punch the dash while shifting.

WHEW!

I've been lagging on posting that ^^^ little bit of stuff for literally over half a year.
I'd bet nobody else was pissed about it, but I was (a little )

There's more, but I want to keep that all in 1 (15 image max. ) post, so this one's a mini-post, more or less.

let's use up that 15-image quota:

OK, with that done - on to some "subtle-ification" . . .

Last edited by ExWrench; 05-12-2019 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Added a peetchurr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #177 of 181 Old 05-12-2019, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Random Dude

Still not Fast, but now Less Furious

I've never been completely happy with the exhaust, so the wild-hair-up-ass genie finally gave me a shove.

To make room for a resonator (and because it's a bit thrashed) this 2.5 gallon Viair tank had to go:

You can also see where the exhaust ran right up to the rear track bar, then shot out at the least-shitty angle I could find.

Fun fact: if you land on an air tank and smash the bejeezus out of its mounting bracket, disassembly may be a pain in the 'taint.

I was this >< close to cutting shit apart wildly to pull that damned tank (I was so pissed )

OK, tank drama over, clear palette with the exception of the track bar cock-blocking my dreams of an over-axle exhaust:

So . . . Teraflex TB coming out, Metalcloak TB going in:

The Metalcloak TB only gained me ~1.5 inches, but that was enough to let the magic happen

With my new gold bling in place (will get painted next time I pull it out), I could start building my exhalation super highway:

Don't have a TIG, and didn't have the right gas mix (used 75/25), so I did lap joints instead of butt joints. Pipe stretcher is a handy tool
No worries about strength, but I coulda' made it purrrdy w/ TIG.
Oh well, fuck it - it's a Jeep exhaust, not a show car anything.

First mockup (and I drove it a couple days this way):

Holy crap - what a difference - at least 3dB reduction all around, and no more reverb down low nor raspy chit when I wind it out (often ).
Oh, also in the photo above: the guard for my air tank drain began life as a "military grade" aluminum toe cap in a Timberland safety shoe.

Finished it up this weekend. Welded on that straight hanger rod, and welded the tailpipe and 90 to the (Vibrant 1141) resonator.

Bent another 1/2" SS hanger rod and welded it to a gusset on the Synergy shock mount bar.

The hanger rod already on the recycled tailpipe, I captured in a cut-off and drilled-out piece from a leftover swaybar end link.

The bastardized end link is welded to a scrap bracket w/ anti-rotate tab welded on. Bolts to a single factory crossmember hole.
It's not very flexible compared to the (3) factory-style rubber isolators on my exhaust, but I don't anticipate it cracking or failing.

Most importantly: stuff the driver's side, and you won't smack the exhaust

It's not factory ninja-stealthy, but appreciably quieter and better sounding than a week ago.

Everything about the exhaust that pissed me off before, is gone - WIN!

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 05-12-2019 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Wording tuneup - better now :)
post #178 of 181 Old 05-12-2019, 04:07 PM
Twigger time

I dont want to crap up your thread with needless commentary, but a couple questions on your exhaust:

- Saw you mentioned you used MIG to burn the muffler and tube together. What kind of wire do you use?

- How did you connect your muffler / tube up to the existing exhaust? Clamp(s)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #179 of 181 Old 05-12-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
I dont want to crap up your thread with needless commentary, but a couple questions on your exhaust:

- Saw you mentioned you used MIG to burn the muffler and tube together. What kind of wire do you use?

- How did you connect your muffler / tube up to the existing exhaust? Clamp(s)?
Dood, no worries - if it's on-topic or tech-related/ educational, crap away!

I have a little 2lb spool of .030" ER308L wire just for hacktastically hot-gluing my exhaust system

I bought it when I grafted a 50-Series Flowmaster in place of an MBRP loudasfawk fart can.

Clamps will not keep shit from rotating so the asymmetrical Flowmaster had to be hot glued to preserve clocking.

Reused the MBRP piping (good stuff) which has a clamped joint on the uphill run over the stock axle location.

I rerouted things near the apex of that "over-axle" hump and ended with a straight piece of 2.5" 304SS tube.

Needed to run close and parallel under that crossmember, then dive away from the body to make room for the resonator can.
That's also the longest I can make that section and still be able to remove it without disassembling non-exhaust stuff.

That butt joint (the only one) just got a straight stainless band clamp.

It's in a location where failure can't really cause harm. Also, I clocked the clamp up out of the way on final assembly.

From there back, it's a purchased mandrel 90, the Vibrant resonator, and a section of the MBRP exhaust's tailpipe I'd cut off when I did my rear stretch.

I had enough mandrel bends to make whatever tailpipe I would need:

. . . but accommodating something that was born for exactly that job seemed like the perfect ending.
I still have the MBRP exhaust system from end-to-end, I've just changed ~85% between the ends.
Also, using that tailpipe helps justify hanging onto a lot of the weird shit I save from project leftovers.

Hoarder?

Nope, not today

Today, genius

The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ExWrench; 05-13-2019 at 09:34 AM. Reason: oops --> un-oops (typo feext)
post #180 of 181 Old 05-13-2019, 08:59 AM
Rock God

bAd ass update! definitely gave me some inspiration to deal with my exhaust so planning on some mods now. How is the sound after the mod? I dig the shifter linkage setup!

post #181 of 181 Old 05-13-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by geberhard View Post
bAd ass update! definitely gave me some inspiration to deal with my exhaust so planning on some mods now.
Thanks Gui! I've been wanting to do this for a few years now.
It was horribly frustrating to do working on the ground, but worth it (especially now that I'm done).

Quote:
Originally Posted by geberhard View Post
How is the sound after the mod?
W a a a y better!

I didn't measure, but I believe it dropped off a solid 3+ decibels all around.
And that's not the best part - sound quality is much improved.

2 major annoyances that the resonator killed:

1) At lower RPM on deceleration or when lugging it, the exhaust had some reverb.

Wait - make that: REVURRRURRURRURURRRB

Related annoyance: heavy deceleration had too much . . .

. . . how you say . . .

"wharble-blurblurwharblur-blur-blar-blawwww"
. . . for my taste

2) When winding out all "3.8L of fury" (shifting above 5000 RPM),
the exhaust note had a ragged, raging, shitty sound component.

I think this exhaust note characteristic can best be described as a 3-way mixture of:

• Riced-out Honda screaming through a ginormous chromed coffee can exhaust
  • Air ripping like you just kicked open the tank drain on a large air compressor
  • Cats fucking

If I were 16 again, I might find the extra rasp entertaining
. . . but I can't believe that noise could ever be considered "desirable".

All drone is gone, startup at 5am is guilt-free, and I can floor it without sounding like I'm trying to start shit.

Honestly, even just killing the "cats fucking" noise would've made it worth it

Last edited by ExWrench; 05-16-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode