Hokiewest Red Jeep - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By hokiewest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-25-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
Hokiewest Red Jeep

Prepare to not be blown away, its a JKUR on 37s. But Iíve got the itch to make a place to post some mods/repairs and trips.

So red Jeep (2014 JKUR auto) came along a few months ago, traded in black Jeep (2012 JKUR 6spd) because of the reason that my wife could not get over the nerves of driving a manual in/around traffic. No biggie, I want to have the option of her being able to drive the Jeep to work in bad snow storms and when we go on long trips it can certainly be helpful to have a break from driving all the time. This vehicle is not a daily driver but does serve as my non-company vehicle and our weekend camping and of course off-roading vehicle.

The good:
-Almost new 37x12.5 Goodyear MT/Rs
-Front axle truss and c gussets
-Upgraded steering components including a sweet PSC big bore steering gear and high flow kit. I wouldíve preferred cylinder assist but not complaining about this being already installed.

The not so good: Suspension setup is very Frankensteinís monster, which can be fine when done right, this one needs a few changes though.
-Currie 4Ē lift coils
-Teraflex control arms on the front but look like Currie on the rear.
-Currie RJ axle weld on trackbar brackets, rear bracket too low in conjunction with stock rear trackbar so its not level at all. Front trackbar also not meant for raised axle trackbar bracket so the drag link is not very parallel with front trackbar.
-Stock wheels, look good but even with 1.5Ē spacers the tires rub pretty good.

Next up will show some of the repairs and upgrades
Attached Images

2qik2see likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-25-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

So one of the first things I thought would be a quick fix was my rear axle pinion angle, was too steep (pinion pointing up too much) so not aligned with rear driveshaft. This was also causing my rear coils the be bowed out a lot and putting a bit more bind on rear trackbar. Jeep has upper rear adjustable control arms so I was going to get my pinion and rear driveshaft lined up and lengthen the arms accordingly.

Well when I took the first upper control arm off, the threaded joint came out of the arm. Threads were almost completely smooth, looked like a combination of rust and vibration/movement from the locking nut being loose.

This obviously dictated my first upgrade to be new control arms, inspecting the other arms showed some wear and I just wanted everything to be good to go, so I ordered the set of 8 Metal Cloak control arms. Happy with them so far, I wasnít planning on doing this thread at the time so I didnít take any pics but youíve all seeníem. I also installed the MC coil correction spacers, they did the trick of getting almost all the bow out of the rear coils.
Attached Images

post #3 of 6 Old 05-25-2019, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Oops, little out of order, I actually noticed how bad the rear pinion angle was when I was installing MC adjustable bump stops and sumo springs. I did the adjustable bump stops and sumo spring jouncers on black Jeep and it was my favorite upgrade with getting a little more flex and comfort on a LCOG setup (35s, flat fenders, 2Ē lift). Iím not sure how much it will benefit me on this rig but I like the adjustability and the sumo spring jouncers really are nice on the bumpy stuff and coming off ledges. No idea why but I took some pics of the rear only, kinda surprised I have any photos of it.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-25-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Next up was Metal Cloak skid plates, evap canister relocation bracket and high clearance exhaust. Once the skids were installed I mocked up the exhaust based on the dynomax quiet crawler, ordered the pieces from amazon. I didnít want it held together with bands nor did I feel like my first time welding on stainless be my new exhaust, so this one got taken care of by a local exhaust shop and they did awesome. Crappy pics below but you get the idea, and I still havenít painted over the mark I made for the guy to know where to position the muffler to clear t-case skid. Evap canister relocation was pretty quick and easy install.
Attached Images

post #5 of 6 Old 05-25-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Cut it close but saved up my pennies and the week before leaving for Moab I was able to get 5 Method MR105 beadlocks ordered and installed. Clean and simple, also reasonably priced (as far as beadlocks go) however I need to get them properly balanced, get a shimmy at 45mph to about 52mph that is just too much to let it ride for a long period without probably causing excessive wear to other components.

Also took care of other misc stuff such as extending my axle breather tubes, ran the rear up into the rear driver side tail light compartment and the front just up into the engine compartment. Installed a shelf thing in the rear to help with organizing/separating Jeep stuff from suitcases and such for trips with the family.
Attached Images

post #6 of 6 Old 05-25-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
Moab

So I gave Red Jeep a little trial by fire, first long road trip and first off-road experience would be to Moab. Did fine on trip other than previously noted shimmy at about 45-52 mph.

My buddy that went on the trip with us has a Tacoma TRD Off-road, nice truck and he is stock other than victory sliders. So after hitting up Arches NP for hiking the first half of Saturday, we went on Tower Arch trail located inside the park. This trail has an about 1 mile section of rowdy rocks to test the Jeep on (reminded me more of CO trail than Moab) with bypasses that weave in and out of the main trail that we could get the Taco through. Rest of trail is easy sandy roads and small obstacles, was a good trail that let me get a feel for red Jeep off-road and tested my buddy’s Tacoma.

Sunday was all trails, ran through Hells Revenge first and then Fins n Things, completed both trails in about 4 hours. Very happy with how the rig performed, was able to take hard lines the whole way and only dodged the really deep hot tub at the top and the Escalator, not trying that section without an experienced spotter. No idea when it happened but I bent my front driver side sway bar link in half. Looks like the sway bar was able to rotate down 90 degrees due to the sway bar link being a little too short, this binded up the sway bar and when the axle came back up (or Jeep came back down) the sway bar link didn’t stand a chance. More on this later, still looking for a solution to get front sway bar link lengths I need.

My buddy was a good sport riding shotgun and being spotter so we headed out for a trail his Tacoma could run, found Kamikaze trail near Canyonlands park. Absolutely amazing views on this trail, quick hitter and only had one obstacle that his truck needed a second run at.

Monday we headed back to Canyonlands for more hiking and amazing views to end the Moab trip. Drive home on Monday took a really crappy turn when it started snowing pretty good over Vail pass and they closed I-70. We diverted south to Buena Vista and then headed back east towards Colorado Springs, ran back into snow at Woodland Park. Off and on snow until we were almost home where we had heavy wet snow, experienced the LED headlight issue of this type of snow building up on the headlights and causing very poor visibility, will have to look into different headlights but don’t have to worry about it for the next 4-5 months.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode