4/4.5” game changer on 35s 4 door - Page 2 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #26 of 46 Old 04-17-2019, 06:02 AM
pvanfab.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunright View Post
1) bumpers, winch, rock rails, skids, fenders will all add weight. Therefore the 4,4.5” lift will more than likely be less than that.

2) yep

3) yep

4) nice rig.
Actually most aftermarket lift companies take the added weight into consideration and make their 4.5" springs to actual be 5-5.5" without the added weight

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
ExWrench likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27 of 46 Old 04-17-2019, 06:51 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
1) bumpers, winch, rock rails, skids, fenders will all add weight. Therefore the 4,4.5” lift will more than likely be less than that.

2) yep

3) yep

4) nice rig.
IIRC the quality companies factor in a JKU with bumpers skids and winch in their lift heights. I know at least RK does. I would look into it if you're planning on it being less than 4/4.5" after the armor.
ExWrench likes this.

Chase Weston
post #28 of 46 Old 04-19-2019, 04:58 AM
Rock God

4/4.5” game changer on 35s 4 door

I run 35s on a 3.5 game changer.
Just yesterday I ordered 5 trail grapplers in 37”, I expect zero problems with that set up.

If it’s “the look” you’re after, and you care more about that than the function, there are several other lifts that would be a whole lot cheaper.

If you want good function over “look” you’re probably making a mistake.

I’m new here, I’ve found these guys to generally know what they are talking about and have always gotten respectable advice when I’m respectful.

Here’s my current set up

I have fenders in the paint shop, they’ll go on when the 37s do.

Edit:
I’m pretty sure that I haven’t seen much (if any)settling with added weight. I’m of the opinion that MetalCloak has their shit together, and the springs they sell have a touch of engineering behind them. If you’re going 4.5 expecting to sag, again you’re probably making a mistake. (The wrong assumption)

If you look at my “our 2017 jkur” thread, you can clearly see that I too made the assumption that there would be some settling If there was any it’s very minor, I was wrong.

Last edited by Pmedic920; 04-19-2019 at 06:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29 of 46 Old 04-20-2019, 12:12 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
i always imagined were I to be fortunate and live in Utah, Nevada or Colorado where dry rocks reign supreme, I would just run Treadwrights like those all the time. I imagine they are very grippy in those premo conditions and cheap enough to not have to care about them. Plus they look cool.

I've been running the Treadwright Guard Dogs for nine years now (32s and now 35s). They've been excellent in the Tennessee mud - they're great at highway pressure but aired down to ~18 or so it's crazy how good they are. They're a bit noisy on the road but I'm used to it now.

Didn't know they were looking into a 37 x 17 tire for production. May just have to stick with TW...
post #30 of 46 Old 04-20-2019, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockystock View Post
I've been running the Treadwright Guard Dogs for nine years now (32s and now 35s). They've been excellent in the Tennessee mud - they're great at highway pressure but aired down to ~18 or so it's crazy how good they are. They're a bit noisy on the road but I'm used to it now.

Didn't know they were looking into a 37 x 17 tire for production. May just have to stick with TW...

Good to know.
Yeah, I imagine a 37" version of that'd be backordered before they posted it was available, heh. We all likes big tars....

pvanweelden and rockystock like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #31 of 46 Old 04-20-2019, 08:50 AM
pvanfab.com

I had asked TW about 37s several times, the last time I emailed before 2 months ago before buying the 315/70 claws, and then a friend sent me this pic. I hope they are making the molds for 37s

j3ff3ry_j33p and rockystock like this.

post #32 of 46 Old 04-20-2019, 10:00 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

To the OP, here's a shot of my 3.5" lift immediately following the install, with 32's just before heading to the tire shop. I know it's not what you were looking for but you probably weren't looking for discussion on an excellent tire either haha. Besides, I figured if you're going for that "skipped leg day" look, this is a good example

By the way, my 3.5 RK lift sat at 4.25" because I didn't have any aftermarket weight on it. Here's a couple shots from the same day, after new tires:

I'm currently finishing up an engine swap with a 1.25" body lift along with the 3.5" and may go down to 2.5" springs to get ride height back to pre-BL (high steer kit will require some frame clearancing to go less than 3" without hitting bump stops constantly). I'll take some pics of what will almost certainly be the top heavy / "high roller" look, with ~5-5.5" of lift on 35's lol.

Last edited by rockystock; 04-20-2019 at 03:58 PM.
post #33 of 46 Old 04-23-2019, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockystock View Post
To the OP, here's a shot of my 3.5" lift immediately following the install, with 32's just before heading to the tire shop. I know it's not what you were looking for but you probably weren't looking for discussion on an excellent tire either haha. Besides, I figured if you're going for that "skipped leg day" look, this is a good example

By the way, my 3.5 RK lift sat at 4.25" because I didn't have any aftermarket weight on it. Here's a couple shots from the same day, after new tires:

I'm currently finishing up an engine swap with a 1.25" body lift along with the 3.5" and may go down to 2.5" springs to get ride height back to pre-BL (high steer kit will require some frame clearancing to go less than 3" without hitting bump stops constantly). I'll take some pics of what will almost certainly be the top heavy / "high roller" look, with ~5-5.5" of lift on 35's lol.

IMO the "skipped leg day" look is far from the lift and tires i want to put on. especially with the stock fenders. Once i get 37s and throw smaller fenders on, itll fill out very nicely.

The rims i bought have 4.75 backspacing and will definitely giver her some nice stance. also, wider stance = help with COG

Also, steel parts DO in fact help with COG. Basic Physics and weight distribution of this should be somewhat common sense. Everyone no matter what size lift or tires you put on, is prone to rolling over and being unstable. Hell, the STOCK is still not that stable.

I'll post pics of my beast when shes done. 4/4.5" lift with 35s will look awesome, Change My Mind.
post #34 of 46 Old 04-23-2019, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

We look forward to and appreciate you sharing what's coming as-far-as your JKs build.

post #35 of 46 Old 04-23-2019, 07:00 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
IMO the "skipped leg day" look is far from the lift and tires i want to put on. especially with the stock fenders. Once i get 37s and throw smaller fenders on, itll fill out very nicely.

The rims i bought have 4.75 backspacing and will definitely giver her some nice stance. also, wider stance = help with COG

Also, steel parts DO in fact help with COG. Basic Physics and weight distribution of this should be somewhat common sense. Everyone no matter what size lift or tires you put on, is prone to rolling over and being unstable. Hell, the STOCK is still not that stable.

I'll post pics of my beast when shes done. 4/4.5" lift with 35s will look awesome, Change My Mind.
Ok, I'll give you a D- for participation, but your understanding of "Basic Physics" couldn't be more incorrect. I understand you're not concerned with the opinions and experiences of those of us that have done this a time or two, but for anyone else that comes across this thread, adding weight (Bumpers, Winch, Tire carrier, etc.) will not decrease center of gravity, ever... The only way to lower your center of gravity is to either decrease weight, or physically lower the center of mass, ie. lower lift.

Yes, all vehicles used in off camber terrain are susceptible to rolling over.. That's the point of decreasing the COG and therefore increasing the stability...
pvanweelden likes this.

Chase Weston
post #36 of 46 Old 04-23-2019, 08:55 AM
Random Dude

To be fair: by definition, adding or moving weight below the existing COG does lower the COG.

For instance, a 3/4" steel belly skid would be a generally horrible idea, but it would lower COG.

Jeep mods are about trade-offs. Low COG is better, heavier is worse, turkey bacon is bullshit
rockystock likes this.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #37 of 46 Old 04-23-2019, 08:59 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Here is a 3" lift, 37s with 1.25" body lift. So 4.25" total.
3" of lift was fine until I was loaded down for overlanding, then the rear door would rub the bumper and front tires would rub the fender support when stuffed.
I added 1.25" body lift to resolve those issues without changing my caster.

Also be aware that heavier tires will wear out components like ball joints, unit bearings, drag link ends, tie rod ends, etc. So have a plan for when they wear out.
If going off road there's a lot that needs to be beefed up, again have a plan before you break stuff.

His- 2014 JKUR
Hers- 2018 JK

Retired- 2016 JKWW
Retired- 2013 JKU
post #38 of 46 Old 04-23-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightJK View Post
Ok, I'll give you a D- for participation, but your understanding of "Basic Physics" couldn't be more incorrect. I understand you're not concerned with the opinions and experiences of those of us that have done this a time or two, but for anyone else that comes across this thread, adding weight (Bumpers, Winch, Tire carrier, etc.) will not decrease center of gravity, ever... The only way to lower your center of gravity is to either decrease weight, or physically lower the center of mass, ie. lower lift.

Yes, all vehicles used in off camber terrain are susceptible to rolling over.. That's the point of decreasing the COG and therefore increasing the stability...
Can't believe I have to explain this....

If you put a piece of thin wood suspended in the air with both ends resting on a heavier object, attaching a weight to the middle of that and watching the wood bend isn't physics? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't GRAVITY related to Physics?

"Couldn't be more incorrect." FOH

Understood that skids probably don't effect the COG and not much will.

You literally just told me I don't know Basic Physics.

LOL Bruh you need to read some books and get educated.

Last edited by Dunright; 04-23-2019 at 10:23 AM.
post #39 of 46 Old 04-23-2019, 09:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
To be fair: by definition, adding or moving weight below the existing COG does lower the COG.

For instance, a 3/4" steel belly skid would be a generally horrible idea, but it would lower COG.

Jeep mods are about trade-offs. Low COG is better, heavier is worse, turkey bacon is bullshit

Should be illegal to use the wonderful bacon name when the meat is turkey and not succulent piggy. It's like calling a super model Gar.............doesn't work.

I concur with your physics lesson.

Kevin
post #40 of 46 Old 04-23-2019, 11:48 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:

If you put a piece of thin wood suspended in the air with both ends resting on a heavier object, attaching a weight to the middle of that and watching the wood bend isn't physics? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't GRAVITY related to Physics?

Despite your example of a piece of wood being suspended in air but somehow also resting on objects being a static condition and related to mechanics of materials and the deflection of the wood based on a point load, it does not apply to calculating the center of gravity of an object.. While yes, numbers wise, you could argue that adding a large amount of weight in the skid system only, will lower the COG a very small amount, you're also arguing that adding bumpers, rockers, winch (all of which above the starting COG) will help, it will actually hurt it. Ever wonder throughout all your apparent book reading and education why you have to weigh the vehicle on a level plane and then raise the back and weigh again to accurately calculate COG?

But yes, I know what I literally just told you, It's right up there to read.. That's kind of how the internet works. There is one thing that could help COG though. Not installing a 4.5" lift.

Disclaimer: I truly do not care what you end up doing or what your justifications are but you seem offended which is mildly amusing to me today.

Chase Weston
post #41 of 46 Old 04-23-2019, 12:14 PM
pvanfab.com

Quote:
Disclaimer: I truly do not care what you end up doing or what your justifications are but you seem offended which is mildly amusing to me today.
I need this on a bumper sticker

post #42 of 46 Old 04-23-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Quote:

Despite your example of a piece of wood being suspended in air but somehow also resting on objects being a static condition and related to mechanics of materials and the deflection of the wood based on a point load, it does not apply to calculating the center of gravity of an object.. While yes, numbers wise, you could argue that adding a large amount of weight in the skid system only, will lower the COG a very small amount, you're also arguing that adding bumpers, rockers, winch (all of which above the starting COG) will help, it will actually hurt it. Ever wonder throughout all your apparent book reading and education why you have to weigh the vehicle on a level plane and then raise the back and weigh again to accurately calculate COG?

But yes, I know what I literally just told you, It's right up there to read.. That's kind of how the internet works. There is one thing that could help COG though. Not installing a 4.5" lift. <a href="https://www.jkowners.com/forum/images/smilies/beer.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Beer" >:-)</a>[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/JKowners_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]

I’m not offended. Im just surprised you’re still providing trash information on a thread that I stated in the beginning that I didn’t care what people’s opinions are.

Cool way to make someones picture thread into your Ego Boost Thread. FOH
post #43 of 46 Old 04-23-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Baby Sound View Post
Here is a 3" lift, 37s with 1.25" body lift. So 4.25" total.
3" of lift was fine until I was loaded down for overlanding, then the rear door would rub the bumper and front tires would rub the fender support when stuffed.
I added 1.25" body lift to resolve those issues without changing my caster.

Also be aware that heavier tires will wear out components like ball joints, unit bearings, drag link ends, tie rod ends, etc. So have a plan for when they wear out.
If going off road there's a lot that needs to be beefed up, again have a plan before you break stuff.

<a href="https://www.jkowners.com/forum/images/smilies/beer.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Beer" >:-)</a>
Looks good!

Ya I’m not too worried about all that. I know it happens and have been down this road before. Just making sure I do it better and not half assed like the previous owner had it done.

Is that a game changer lift?
post #44 of 46 Old 04-26-2019, 11:33 AM
JKowners Vendor

35's with 4/4.5 lift

We do it more often than not. Like someone said its really your preference, and how or what you do with your jeep. We have a lot of people that order and install the MC lifts.

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #45 of 46 Old 04-26-2019, 01:54 PM
Rock God

There are a few more details to consider when selecting a lift/tire size.

When running the stock fenders more lift is desired to clear said fenders. My current build is a '17 Recon with 4.5" MC long arm with 37s but keeping the painted factor flares. That's my wife's preference and she gets what she wants on her Jeep. If you are going with an aftermarket fender the 4.5" lift and 35s are going to look really silly. Here is where you can get away with a 2.5-3.5" lift/35s (with room for 37s) and not cause other issues but still retain the 'fender gap'.

Also to consider when selecting a lift size is driveshafts. A JKUR on 3.5" or less lift will not require aftermarket driveshafts as the stock ones will work well for a long time before requiring replacement. I built a JKUR on 3.5" AEV (came out to 3" due to all the heavy bumpers and armor) with 35s. It looked and performed amazing with the stock flares.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #46 of 46 Old 05-09-2019, 06:17 AM
Rock God

I recently went to 37s from 35s.
I did fenders in anticipation of the 37s.

YMMV but I thought my rig looked awful with the 35s.

37s fill out the “look” much better IMHO.

35s w/ stock fenders looked fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode