Adding a customer relay box, sPod, ARB, winch and TPMS - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By mozzer502
  • 1 Post By NevadaZielmeister

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 12-12-2017, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Adding a custom relay box, sPod, ARB, winch and TPMS

I thought I’d show you something i’ve been working on for several weeks. It’s far from perfect but might give a few of you ideas of your own.

The problem
I added an sPod to control my new winch and air compressor. The problem was, I couldn’t fit the sPod quick connector through my overly stuffed firewall. Over the years as I’ve added bits to the Jeep I’ve created a spaghetti of wires running all over the place. All three firewall holes are stuffed to capacity and the engine bay is no better.

The solution
I re-wired everything, massively simplifying the number of wires running everywhere and moved all the relays to one place. Then I modified the sPod to host a cigar lighter into which I plugged the TPMS. It all works very nicely.

How
The first problem is where to place a box full of relays. The obvious place is behind the sPod but that’s where the ARB goes. I looked at placing it under the air filter but it’s really too low and I worried about river crossings.
I need space for 8 relays but they sell them in packs of 10 so I get two spare. No matter how many prototypes I tried I couldn’t get all the connectors, fuse panels and relays in to a small space. That’s when I discovered relays with built in fuses. They come in packs of 6, so now I have 4 spares. The smallest I could make this actually fits nicely over the master cylinder.
By using the Barnes ARB mount rather than the popular M.O.R.E mount, I had a frame to mount the box too.
Step 1: fab a mounting plate and paint

Step 2: add a sticky rubber sheet to the underside. By drilling the wire holes a fraction too big, and then cutting holes in the rubber a fraction too small, you’ve added a grommet to every hole (very clever!)
Step 3: epoxy glue all the relays in place
Step 4: bolt on the other connectors and wire the whole thing up

This is what the finished thing looks like. It has a single positive pole to power the whole thing, a common ground bar for the attached devices. Then there’s two connector strips: one takes wires from the switches, the other feeds power to the devices. Simple.

Step 5: Next I needed to make a cover. It’s actually really easy to do by cutting and bending a thin sheet of metal. The whole thing is held together with two rivets. I ever stenciled a name on the box but it looks like a kindergartener did it.

Step 6: relocate the horn and alarm siren to under the air intake
Step 7: relocate (lower) the factory relays by an inch
Step 8: modify the Barnes mount to house the air manifold on the side rather then the traditional top. I also welded two bolts on to the frame to hold the box in place. Well, actually I didn’t weld because I can’t. I used metal patching putty.

Step 8: I needed a solenoid to isolate the winch power so I fab’d another mount and modified the Genesis Dual Battery to hold one. There’s space for two so, now I can also isolate the Subwoofer and Amplfier that are hanging under the seats (river crossings again).

Step 9: replace the air compressor gauge that comes supplied with the sPod with a cigar lighter.
Step 10: my third rebuild of the switch panel. It now has less wires coming out (single common ground wire), and a quick disconnect

Last edited by mozzer502; 12-12-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-12-2017, 09:02 PM
Wheeler

That is some really inventive and awesome fab work. Great job!
mozzer502 likes this.

2016 Jeep Rubicon. EVO Double Throw Down Front and Rear suspension w/ bypass shocks and EVO Lever. EVO Extreme High Clearance Long Arm Upgrade. Dynatrac ProRock 44 Front Axle w/ Pro Steer Ball Joints, G2 35 Spline Placer Gold Axles, ProGrip Brakes. Dynatrac ProRock XD60 rear axle, full float. 5.38 gearing. JE Reel 1350 drive shafts. EVO Pro-Tek Skid Plate System. PSC Extreme Duty Cylinder Steering Assist kit. EVO Rear RockStops with King Air Bumps. Nitto Trail Grapplers at 37x12.50x17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode