AlaskaViper's JKUR build - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-02-2016, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

AlaskaViper's JKUR build

So I never thought I would do enough building to make a build thread that hasn't been repeated repeatedly. Any ways I traded in my built 1999 TJ for a 2009 JKU.

I traded that in for a 2014 JKU Rubicon X. So here's my blank slate.

Guess you could say the Easter bunny dropped it of since that's the weekend we got it. Actually we drove almost 7 hours to Akron, Ohio from Ft. Drum, NY to pick it up. The prices up here in NY are ridiculous.

2014 Black JKU Rubicon X, 3.5" RK x-factor lift, 37x12.5R17 on Procomp 7032.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-02-2016, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So my slow build turned into a quicker build. What's my story? Well right after buying this JK I got some bad news. My sister who had breast cancer was rediagnosed and told her cancer matastized into her lung and upper chest cavity. Dr.s gave her less than 2 years to live. Obviously she is going to fight. Anyways the thought of her husband and 3 young kids growing up without their mother and only having memories hit deep down inside. So I decided I was going to build this jeep and get out wheeling as much as I can with the family. This way if anything ever did happened to me then my kids would have thousands of memories.

So first mods were installing the J.W. Speaker evo 2 headlights from my old jeep into this jeep. I also reinstalled my bumper and winch from the old jeep.

Next was a Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor lift and 37" cooper STT Pros.

Installed in my garage over a weekend. It went much smoother over on the '14 then the '09 I did 2 years earlier. Had about 5" of clearance to spare.

post #3 of 11 Old 06-02-2016, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I ordered and installed the Rubitrux tailgate tire carrier to accommodate the 37s.

I did some testing of the gas gage. Turns out there's still enough gas to get to the gas station when below the "E"

Also got back on the trails after several years being off them.
My youngest 5 year old started crying and didn't like it but by the end he was asking when we were going again.

And here she is all cleaned up sitting outside work.

I then decided since I was going to wheel a lot more that I was going to upgrade axles. After several weeks of research I went with Dynatrac PR44U and PR60. ARB lockers, 5.13 gears, synergy ball joints, RCV shafts. Reid knuckles

Why did I not just upgrade the D44? Well I figured I could sell the good axles now, which that money would go towards the new axles. If I beefed up the D44 then broke them then that was money lost on resale.

Here they are before being shipped from Northridge4x4.

Also from Marcus @ RiverCityOffroad I got my ARB twin compressor, teraflex underseat mount, and Switch-pros switch module.

I also received my 1 ton tie rod and drag link from Fusion4x4. They look great and cant wait for the axles to install them

And after my day of working on the Jeep ended and relaxing with a beer. My son decided it was time to work on his power wheels Jeep.

Whats on my list? Well after seeing JeepMommas Molle on her tailgate, I finally found a purpose for my army issued prototype molle panel. I'm gonna attempt to mount it on my tailgate along with the axe thanks to Uncle Sam's misguided child's suggestion of the QuickFists.

Well that's it for now. I'll post when the installs start.

I'm also looking into the rugged ridge snorkel, and the bedrug kit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-09-2016, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Axles have arrived and install is slowly taking place. Here are the old d44 and the new pr60.

post #5 of 11 Old 06-09-2016, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Gunny speaks the truth; QuickFist clamps rule and you have a superb selection of upgrades on this build-particularly those axles I am coveting....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-09-2016, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

As simple as it sounds. I like the fact the spring retainers are built into the pr60.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-09-2016, 09:48 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Looking good!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-11-2016, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Axles are almost installed

Driveshafts won't be delivered until Friday so that means I miss my wheeling trip to Rausch Creek. ?
post #9 of 11 Old 06-17-2016, 12:34 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Looking really good! SUB'd! I'm curious about the necessity of your axle swap. I too have purchased (yet to install, out of town at the moment) the 3.5 xfactor w/ 37" toyos and I am wondering if you were having trouble pushing your 37's or if you are just taking preventative measures against future damage of the admittedly weak d44's?

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded ~ Mark Twain

Build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-17-2016, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I had no problems with the 4.10s in the stock axles. Was actually impressed it did as well as it did. I did it for more of a cost now or later thing.

I sell the axles now I get $3000 for them that go towards new axles. If I wait to get axles after I break one then that 3000 that I miss.

So preventive.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-18-2016, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Axles are installed and driving.

Front with aluminum tierod and draglink from fusion4x4.com

Arb twin Compressor installed under front passenger seat.

And push buttons for all the controls from switchpros.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode