Bad Company Build - Rock Crawling and Overlanding Crammed in a 2 Door - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-19-2016, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Bad Company Build - Rock Crawling and Overlanding Crammed in a 2 Door

I guess I'll start a build thread now, even though my Jeep is pretty well built up by now. I was building it with rock crawling in mind, but now I'm planning on driving the TAT next year, so I've started to figure out how to fit a bunch of extra stuff in the back for when I drive 5000 miles off road.

My JK now: Metalcloak 2.5" GC, 315/70R17 MTZs, 4.88 rear gears (Currie is building a RJ44 for the front currently), Ox locker (air shift), Bullydog GT for Jeep, Magnaflow exhaust, Volant CAI (searching for a snorkel that will fit with MC Overlines), and front and rear MC bumpers.

I was on post deployment leave for 2 weeks, and I installed a Switch Pros 8100 panel on the A pillar, ARB Twin, 5 gallon Ride Tech tank, moved my Hi Lift mount to a Tuffy box, and also mounted a Krazy Beaver shovel on it. The rear end was also regeared last week.
Attached Images

2013 Commando Green JK - Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Suzuki DR-Z400SM - 2001 Honda XR100R StockMoto Race Bike
Ohio Mini Roadracing League #201 - University of Akron Formula SAE - Zips Racing

Last edited by keeponjeepinon; 02-19-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-19-2016, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

This is the air tank and compressor setup, the compressor is in the back to muffle the noise, it's pretty quiet with the tailgate closed. Switch Pros makes vertical legends, I just have to call them. Switches 6(F locker) and 8 (swaybar) aren't connected to anything yet, 8 might become a lightbar or something else with a high draw because it is the 30a switch. I can run air tools with ease now.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ohio Mini Roadracing League #201 - University of Akron Formula SAE - Zips Racing
post #3 of 13 Old 02-24-2016, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I got a lot done this week. I got the front inner Overline flares installed and painted them. They came out pretty good for using a storage unit as a paint booth and spraying with rattle cans. I gave her a much needed bath to get all the salt off from my trip up north. I also replaced my home built fairlead bracket with one from Metalcloak, and made sure I can fit my soft doors and windows in the back also with all of my tools and recovery gear. I tested my OBA system, and I can air all 4 tires from 20 psi to 30 in 2 minutes and 40 seconds.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-13-2016, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Update since I haven't in a while:
Currie just shipped my axle the other day, and I looked up the part number on what I thought were inner axles, but it turns out they're 1/2 ton stubs, not even for a JK, and they're 30 spline not 32, so I can't even use them. I guess stuff gets misinterpreted on the phone sometimes (I mentioned to the sales guy I wanted to use stock sized shafts to reduce stress on the ring and pinion, so when I saw 30 spline shafts on the invoice, I thought they were inners and didn't investigate further). I'm going to try to return them if they are what he put down on the invoice, but I'm in Yuma for work for the next month and a half, so this might become a headache. If I can return the $390 stubs(yikes!), the axle will have cost me about $3900, another $350 for inner shafts, and I still need a new front drive shaft for the 1350 yoke. It probably costs about the same as Fusion's D60 by the time I'm done, but I don't have money to get 5x5.5 wheels right now, the axle, and pay my Jeep off anyways. I'm probably going to do the Spyntec conversion later on to get rid of the unit bearings when I move up to 37s along with the 5x5.5 wheels. (37s are my max, and it's not going to be for a long while, and I haven't had issues with my bjs yet, but I'll probably get the rare parts ones at some point, and probably Fusion's one ton tie or 2.5 ton tie rod, not sure which)

Anyways, I took the front drive shaft off before I left for Yuma, and I found out the compressor doesn't really have the oomph for an impact. They are torqued to 90 ft-lbs and loctighted, so it still might work for lug nuts at least. I had to put a fair amount of torque on my breaker bar to get them loose. The air ratchet worked great though.

I'm pretty much just ordering a bunch of parts out here, and installing them when I get home. I just ordered outer tube seals for the RJ44 (2.25 I.D.), and I'm about to order an air operated ORO Swayloc. I'll probably also order a pair of Baja Designs 6" Prerunner HIDs to replace my DIY HID 5" KC Apollos that have a giant hole drilled in the back to fit the cheap bulbs and get rid of their big, ugly ballasts. I want to order my drive shaft while I'm out here to get 4wd back as fast as possible, but I don't know if the 1350 yoke and the D44 swap will change the length of the shaft.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-03-2016, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Axle came in the other day, only a couple more weeks until I'm home and can work on it!

I also ordered all the extras I was going to get. G2 cromy inner shafts(I read they're rebranded 10 Factory), Alloy USA greasable U joints, and the remote control ORO Swayloc. I realize now most aftermarket driveshafts use a flange instead of the 1350 yoke I have now on the pinion, so I'm probably going to have to call a shop (I've heard Carolina Driveline is good) to get a custom double cardan shaft made, and maybe save a little money by steering away from the overpriced JK market.

My buddy sent me a picture of the stubs, I can now tell that they are JK stubs, not the 1/2 ton that the invoice said. Hopefully they're 32 spline, maybe someone has some input as to them looking right? My buddy wasn't much help, I had to explain to him what stub shafts are haha.
Attached Images

post #6 of 13 Old 04-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Rock God

Coming along nicely. You out at MCAS?
post #7 of 13 Old 04-04-2016, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by da20captain View Post
Coming along nicely. You out at MCAS?
Thanks. I do live on the air station, I'm in Yuma right now though.

post #8 of 13 Old 05-03-2016, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Axle's in and mostly done. PSA: Alloy USA joints are junk. One of the caps exploded while I was pressing it in, and another one broke while I was trying to get it out. It scored the inside of the shaft too, like they were just slightly too large. (Those Chinese tolerances are great, huh) I guess it was a good excuse to buy RCVs The stubs Currie sent fit the bearings, but the ears were too wide to fit through the knuckles. I'll probably keep the shafts for trail spares if I can find somewhere that sells Spicer joints. I also put the SwayLoc in, and I'm very impressed with it. When locked, the steering feels a lot tighter (probably due to new Synergy bjs vs old shot ones) and has less body roll when cornering. Unlocked, the force from the front sway bar makes it easier to fully stuff the rear and should have better manners off road. I got the Hop Stopper too, I took the Jeep up to 85 with no hood flutter, which has annoyed me since I bought the Jeep.
Attached Images

post #9 of 13 Old 05-03-2016, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I exceeded the picture limit. Also, something cool that happened while I was away, but kind of sad because the bird's going to die now, but it's its own fault for deciding my spare tire was a great place to build a nest.
Attached Images

post #10 of 13 Old 05-03-2016, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeponjeepinon View Post
Axle's in and mostly done. PSA: Alloy USA joints are junk. One of the caps exploded while I was pressing it in, and another one broke while I was trying to get it out. It scored the inside of the shaft too, like they were just slightly too large. (Those Chinese tolerances are great, huh) I guess it was a good excuse to buy RCVs The stubs Currie sent fit the bearings, but the ears were too wide to fit through the knuckles. I'll probably keep the shafts for trail spares if I can find somewhere that sells Spicer joints. I also put the SwayLoc in, and I'm very impressed with it. When locked, the steering feels a lot tighter (probably due to new Synergy bjs vs old shot ones) and has less body roll when cornering. Unlocked, the force from the front sway bar makes it easier to fully stuff the rear and should have better manners off road. I got the Hop Stopper too, I took the Jeep up to 85 with no hood flutter, which has annoyed me since I bought the Jeep.
nice rig; I am envious of your front axle; nice locker choice! I just got the electric actuated OX for my rear locker; they make a damn nice product! Jeep On, man!

post #11 of 13 Old 05-04-2016, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
nice rig; I am envious of your front axle; nice locker choice! I just got the electric actuated OX for my rear locker; they make a damn nice product! Jeep On, man!
Thanks. Yeah, I've had the Ox locker in the rear for a couple thousand miles now, it pulled me through some pretty deep mud in 2wd. It's going to be unstoppable once I get my axle shafts in
post #12 of 13 Old 05-04-2016, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeponjeepinon View Post
Thanks. Yeah, I've had the Ox locker in the rear for a couple thousand miles now, it pulled me through some pretty deep mud in 2wd. It's going to be unstoppable once I get my axle shafts in
schweet. I realized my stock are not gonna cut it so am about to pull the plug on some Revolution Gears rear 4340 axleshafts ,too. Glad to hear you are happy w/ the rear OX.

post #13 of 13 Old 05-17-2016, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

RCVs are done now. The install went pretty smoothly, it only took about 4-5 hours moving slowly. It also helped that I had just removed my hubs two weeks ago, and I didn't have to beat the living crap out of them to get them out this time. I'm now ready to go wheeling at the Gulches on Memorial Day weekend with some other guys from my unit! I also got my new baby in the picture, it's a 2008 WR250X
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode