Family Fun 2015 JKU build thread.... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DFW Rusty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 07-27-2015, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Family Fun 2015 JKU build thread....

After 2 years of being out of a JK I am finally back in one. I sold my 2 seater rock crawler to fund this purchase, but I feel it will be a good trade off!

Plans for the jeep are to advance the jeep with time! Since we have a 3 week old baby and a 7 year old daughter, I don't really want to go extreme! I want it to be a good comfortable for us to go do weekend treks with some mild stuff and mostly trails and dirt roads!

My end goal is a JK on 40's and one tons that I can one day return to Green Acres at Clayton, OK and handle the nasty stuff. However that is a long ways down the road. This thread is going to be long, and probably lots of changes as time goes on!

I am starting with a fairly strict budget build because this jeep was literally bought with the intent of being our toy and we blew a lot of our budget buying the jeep!

BUILD SPECS so far: All items below are ordered and should arrive this week.

Barricade Trail Force Bumper with led lights
(5)ProComp 7031 16x8 rims
(5) Federal Couragia MT 315/75/r16
Superchips FlashCal 3570
52" LED light bar w/ windshield bracket and small led lights for lower windshield.

I have not ordered the lift yet, but I plan to order the lift and flares in the next week or two!

Jeep as of now:

1978 CJ-5
My 2015 JKU build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-29-2015, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Some packages just arrived here at work!!

1978 CJ-5
My 2015 JKU build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old 07-31-2015, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I was playing around with the flashcal last night and this thing is awesome! For $89 you can down load the tuner update and then your flashcal becomes a flashcal tuner. However the tuner package is not yet 2015 compatible. It's cool all the features this thing has, you can idle the engine up for winching, you can make certain lights come on while day driving, you can adjust all kinds of stuff, but best of all for $89 more you can do the tuner upgrade and get 30hp on 87 octane, as soon as the superchips website says its 2015 compatible I'm downloading the update!

I have received all my stuff except my tires.... Hoping to order the lift and some rugged ridge hurricane fenders in the next week or two....

1978 CJ-5
My 2015 JKU build:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 07-31-2015, 09:45 AM
Rock God

The additional 30 hp from a tuner maybe a bit optimistic.
post #5 of 23 Old 07-31-2015, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descent View Post
The additional 30 hp from a tuner maybe a bit optimistic.
Your probably right, but either way I would do it if it comes out. However I sent superchips an e-mail asking about a release date for the tuner update after I made that post and here is the response I got back:

Quote:
No date at this time but it is going to require an Ecu swap.
I do not have any details at this time on exactly what is going to be involved and what the costs

1978 CJ-5
My 2015 JKU build:
post #6 of 23 Old 08-05-2015, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I'm hoping to order my lift Monday, however I have a question. I am ordering a RC stage II 3.5" lift. I have read through hundreds of reviews on a few forums and looks like most owners are happy.

My question is, I have noticed that there is some split opinions about exhaust spacers. It seems like you don't really know if you need it until the lift is on. However I read that several people who put them on and said it made there exhaust leak, is noisy, the hardware backs off and is just an all around waste of money..... What would y'all do, I'm leaning towards put the lift on then see if I need an exhaust spacer.
Dock Rocker likes this.

1978 CJ-5
My 2015 JKU build:
post #7 of 23 Old 08-25-2015, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I ordered some parts Saturday:

Rough Country 3.5 Stage II lift.
Teraflex 1" spacer for front (I figured if it's too much I'll cut it down, easier to cut down than add),
Rugged Ridge A pillar switch pod,
Ruff Stuff license plate flip up bracket for winch rollers.

I decided not to order fender flares right now. There is more important stuff it needs like windows tinted, rock sliders or a gas tank skid plate.... Those are next on the list.

If everything comes in before Friday (mainly the lift) I'll be installing everything this weekend, if not I will do it next weekend!

1978 CJ-5
My 2015 JKU build:
post #8 of 23 Old 09-03-2015, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Finally got started on my JK last night. I was going to wait until this weekend, but turns out I am going to be busy and I just can't wait anymore! We got the windows tinted Monday, it's darker than I like, but my wife is happy. I also ordered some rock sliders. May order a rear bumper/ carrier and fender flares next week depending on my money situation.

We got the front about 70% done, but hit a wall when it came time to pull the pitman arm, I have to pick up a puller today. Hoping to finish the lift tonight and maybe install the front bumper and lights.

Windows tinted:

Last pic of it stock:

On our lift:

Really happy with the look of these tires and wheels:

I'm probably going to order extended brake lines today, I don't know if I trust the brake lines with the drop down brackets:

Got the new LC arms, springs, and lower bump stops on:

Last pic for the night, couldn't help but go ahead and install the spare:

1978 CJ-5
My 2015 JKU build:
post #9 of 23 Old 09-04-2015, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Got the lift 99% installed last night. All that is left is to hook up the front sway bars! HOWEVER, I forgot to put in my 1" lift pucks.... so tonight I have to disassemble part of the front and put them in, it sits fairly level, but I know once I put the winch on I'll wish I had the pucks in! I can't say anything yet about the ride, but as far as parts go Rough Country really supplied some good stuff, everything was a good fit and the instructions were pretty well spot on! Also installed the Barricade front bumper, it's a good fit and the supplied hardware makes it a painless installation!

Tonight we are going to install the lift pucks, install the rock sliders, light bar, and wire up all the lights!

1978 CJ-5
My 2015 JKU build:
post #10 of 23 Old 09-04-2015, 05:08 PM
JKowners Vendor

Looks good , why not use little taller Springs than pucks
post #11 of 23 Old 09-08-2015, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigworm36 View Post
Looks good , why not use little taller Springs than pucks
Thanks

I guess I could have, but I wanted to go with just a complete kit and just throw in the pucks for now. The jeep sits fairly level right now with out the 1" pucks, but I know over time they will sag, and I can't stand rake on my jk! This suspension is only going to be on the jeep for about 3 years, then I am going to step it up a notch!

1978 CJ-5
My 2015 JKU build:

Last edited by DFW Rusty; 09-08-2015 at 06:51 AM.
post #12 of 23 Old 09-08-2015, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Got the jeep all buttoned up over the weekend! Got everything snugged up, wired the lights up and even picked up a winch! Still didn't install the lift pucks, call me lazy, but I really wasn't in the mood to tear the front 50% of the way down just yet! I know the lift I bought is for mostly highway use and that is why I bought it, and it shows it.... It handles like stock at highway speeds, drove it about 80 miles Sunday and Monday and it cruises 75-80 with one finger on the wheel and rides super smooth! I plan to add to the suspension as time goes on IE: front sway bar disco, adjustable track bars front and rear, and extended brake lines. However, for right now I am beyond satisfied, my wife and I both enjoy driving the jeep 150% more than before!

Friday night I ordered a Tuff Stuff rear bumper with spare tire carrier from "Truck and winch" for $475. I was really on the fence about what bumper to get and whether or not to hold out for a name brand bumper, but the price is sooo hard to beat and the reviews are pretty solid (other than installation, but my old smittybilt SRC was a total PITA, so I ain't skeered). I also really like the attachments you can buy that are exact fits to the bumper(spare tire rack, and jerry can holders)!

Saturday I had to go to town to get supplies for our deer feeders and while at tractor supply I couldn't help myself when I strolled trough the towing isle... It was a Warn VR 8000, I was going to buy a Smittybilt XRC9500 this week, but I really didn't have a warm fuzzy feeling about it because all I have ever had was Ramsey and Warn and everything else to me was.... well..... junk... But I have been kinda peaking at the warns and TSC's price is par for course for the warn 8k and with my farm exempt I didn't have to pay taxes...
On a side note: if you buy this winch it is perfect wiring for a JK, cables don't have to be shortened or extended, it was the cleanest wiring I've ever seen on a winch(even better than my old 9.5TI)!

Here is the jeep in all it's glory: The wiring we did on the lights is probably one of the best jobs I have ever done, super clean, and the rugged ridge A-pillar switch pod is so nice! My only problem is I need to hide the wire coming from my light bar better (gonna work on that one night this week).

I know this bumper is a cheaply bumper, but the lights are legit and I really like them! We went trail riding last night at my dads and they are perfect for being behind someone with out blinding them!

Also if you have a winch bumper and no place for your front license plate, then the Ruff Stuff roller fairlead bracket is the beezneez. It is super clean and the clips are tough looking and the spring is stout!

All the lights on lighting up a feeder so we could check the timer!

1978 CJ-5
My 2015 JKU build:

Last edited by DFW Rusty; 09-08-2015 at 06:58 AM.
post #13 of 23 Old 09-11-2015, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I do seem to be having an issue with my Flashcal, I keep downloading the TPMS update and when I plug it into the jeep it's like it didn't download onto my Flashcal. I am going to call Superchips on Monday about it.

Lookie what came in!

I got the bumper installed, but not the spare tire carrier because some of the hardware was missing out of the box so I called Truck and Winch and they are sending me the missing hardware. The bumper was easier to install than the Smittybilt SRC I had on my old JK!

1978 CJ-5
My 2015 JKU build:
post #14 of 23 Old 09-16-2015, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So I have hit a bump in the road on my rear bumper/ carrier. The carrier isn't meshing with the bumper. The spindle shaft is longer than the tubing on the carrier, so I have a gap. Also the carrier is sitting at an angle when on the bumper. It's such an angle that it will not close to the latch.

I contacted Truck and winch and they seem super cool, they had me take some pictures and are going to look at whether they need to replace the bumper, carrier or both. They told me that this is supposed to be the new bumper/ carrier and requires no bushing, but there is a chance I got a mix matched set and that is why I am having problems. I'm ready to get it fixed and have my spare back on my jeep. Also, I am fixing to order the carrier rack today.

1978 CJ-5
My 2015 JKU build:
post #15 of 23 Old 09-16-2015, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I am fixing to buy the stuff to beef up my D30. I am going to buy the inner C gussets, and probably buy the outer sleeve kit. All the inner C gussets look about the same and are about the same price, but I have only found one outer sleeve kit so far.

1978 CJ-5
My 2015 JKU build:
post #16 of 23 Old 09-22-2015, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Welp.... Truck and Winch was true to their word and got me all fixed up! The new bumper is even nicer than the one I am sending back. It has a 12/24v plug adapter on one side and a ruff stuff logo on the other! The carrier is a perfect fit and holds my spare perfectly!

I have my spare set as low and tight as possible, I like how much adjustment it gives me (about the same as smittybilt).

I haven't wired this up yet, but I look forward to having an outlet there. I think I will put a switch just inside the tailgate to turn the power on and off to this plug.

1978 CJ-5
My 2015 JKU build:

Last edited by DFW Rusty; 09-22-2015 at 08:34 AM.
post #17 of 23 Old 09-22-2015, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

A bit of a write up so far in my build! I am sure some of y'all are thinking I am a cheap ass buying no name parts (Chinese on a lot of it). How ever, I am at just under $5000 on the entire build of my jeep and that is with a ton of parts! I bought a cheaper lift kit, but hell it rides better than my old JK that had a $2k+ Rock Krawler suspension by 100%! My wife can drive the jeep with our baby in it comfortably, we are taking it on a 3000+ mile trip in October and I know the jeep will be comfortable. My only regret on the jeep so far is the sliders, they are super nice, stout (I jumped on them the day I installed them and no movement), but I don't like the drop down bar, I know it will hang up on stuff.

A complete list of everything on the jeep so far w/ prices (this is prices after shipping or tax):

wheels proc 7031 579.95
Front Bumper 359.99
3570 flash calibrator 159
led lights 199.99
Federal M/T tires 35" 1,128.40
RC 3.5" lift $558.00
Teraflex 1" spacer $35
license plate bracket $32
Rugged Ridge switch pod $20
Switches $20
Flag Bikini top $39
Rock Sliders $294
Window tint $214
Rear Bumper $475
Entry Guards $24
Front grab handles $15
Warn VR8000 winch $500
Carrier rack $185
Wheel spacers $95

Pic from Saturday while following my wife.

1978 CJ-5
My 2015 JKU build:
post #18 of 23 Old 09-24-2015, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Installed the carrier rack yesterday. It is pretty solid, and will be handy. However, I don't like how tall it is. It's not the most astatically pleasing part on the jeep because of how high it is. Also, my wife will never be able to put anything in it unless I get her a step ladder. Luckily I have the capabilities and equipment to cut it down and weld it. I am probably going to make it even with the top of the jeep. I wont do it though until after our trip in October.

1978 CJ-5
My 2015 JKU build:
post #19 of 23 Old 09-24-2015, 11:33 AM
Rock God

I just cut mine down 2 months ago makes a big difference. Just throw a sleeve in there and it will hold great.

Semper Fi
post #20 of 23 Old 01-08-2016, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So the jeep is over 6 months old now and has around 9k miles and drives pretty well.

I have a secret fear looming that keeps me from just getting overly zealous about taking it to the trails or really testing the jeeps capabilities! That fear is some of the issues that happened with my '07, I know that I was way harder on my '07 than I will ever be on this new jk. However the fear is still there. Listed below are my fears. Let me know what y'all think about it.

Fear #1: ripping the trackbar bracket off the front axle. Did it 3 times with my '07. Finally we built one at our shop out of 3/8" plate.

Fear #2: Either bending the front axle tube, or the C's on the axle. Bent the tubes on my '07 then I bent the passenger side C after I just replaced the entire housing ( the C was an accident at an offroad park, came down a hill and accidently smacked a rock with the pass side front tire, pretty hard)

Fear #3: Road-ability.... It was always a battle with my '07 to keep it from death wobbling or having some sort of issue with road manners.

I know that 2 of these 3 issues is a relatively easy fix, by just beefing up the front axle. However, I am a little nervous to do it as well for the simple fact that I have read online of warping the front axle just from welding the gussets and braces on.

We have a trip coming (March 5th) up to go to Big Bend National Park and this will be the jeeps first time actually trail riding in a rocky environment. I don't think I'll have time to do the sleeves or the c-gussets, but I will more than likely do the trackbar bracket before we go. My #1 goal for this jeep is to always have it road trip ready and I don't want to make it where it becomes a high maintenance vehicle like my '07 was! Is there anyone else that shares my same fear??

1978 CJ-5
My 2015 JKU build:
post #21 of 23 Old 02-27-2016, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So I was getting the jeep ready for our trip to big bend today and decided to do something I should have done when I first installed the lift months ago which is re center the steering wheel. After doing the lift the steering wheel was cooked about 5-10 degrees, not much. Anyways after getting it centered I took it for a drive and now the stability control crappie kicks on a bunch applying the brakes. Especially when I'm turning right and applying throttle. Did I do something wrong or did I miss a step. It had to be something I did because it didn't do it back when the wheel was cocked.

Does anyone know the solution for this, maybe some insight as to what I did wrong?
post #22 of 23 Old 02-28-2016, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well..... did some home work last night and pretty much says I didn't get the wheel centered enough so I played with it today and got the wheel dead nuts straight. The issue is that it made it even worse. So I put it back to the way it was, and presto it fixed it. I guess it is like every other jeep I've owned.... it doesn't like having a straight steering wheel.
post #23 of 23 Old 07-28-2016, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well, our jeep turned a year old a few days ago with 16k on the odometer! We still love it like the day we bought it, no surprise since were a jeep family! It's been on a 3k mile road trip and a trip to Big Bend National Park and several day trips all of which with our family of 4 in it! It hasn't had the doors on it since some time in June and that is the way I like it! I prefer to take it over my 2012 King ranch superduty on trips and it doesn't even have power windows!

I am very happy with the choices I have made with the build on this jeep! The ride is superb, and the jeep is very comfortable to drive for hours on-end!

The changes I would make is the rear bumper, it is very cheap, and when you hit big bumps the tire carrier makes all kind of noise! I am going to modify it to be more sturdy. However, I wish I spent more and just bought a good quality bumper! It needs sway bar disco's and it needs the evap canister relocated or a better skid on it! I also kind of wish I didn't get a hard top, I have always wanted a hard top for every jeep I have owned and now that I have one it feels very over rated! You have to plan on when your taking the top off, as apposed to being able to take the top down any time you want!

Took it down a creek for the first time last night. Storms rolled in and lowered the temperature about 12 degrees so we took advantage of it and went and played I a creek bed!

1978 CJ-5
My 2015 JKU build:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode