Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me - Page 16 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #376 of 400 Old 02-04-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hi All,

I've been super-busy lately moving through Kenya.

Without a front driveshaft I managed to slide into a ditch, and had to pull out the winch for the 2nd time in a couple of weeks.

Story here: To Lake Naivasha | The Road Chose Me

The I spent time in the Masi Mara National Park - WOW, WOW, WOW, so many lions I stopped taking photos!
Yep - I get close to the action - this is five male cheetahs out hunting

And this big guy

More here: Masai Mara National Park Part 1 | The Road Chose Me
and
Masai Mara National Park Part 2 | The Road Chose Me

I replaced the CV Joint on the driveshaft with a HD unit from Terraflex designed for the high-angles of my lift, so I'm really happy to have 4x4 back:

More details here: Nairobi Jobs | The Road Chose Me

And now I'm driving North to Ethiopia, along the shores of the extremely remote Lake Turkana - easily the most isolated I have been in all of East Africa. I love it!

More: To Lake Turkana | The Road Chose Me
and
Loiyangalani, Lake Turkana | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(previously
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #377 of 400 Old 02-05-2019, 10:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Was wondering what you were up to after parking the Jeep on it's side. It's been a while.

Now I see what you've been up to. Amazing.

And great job of JPFreek Adventure Magazine to hook you up with parts. That's awesome.

Kevin
post #378 of 400 Old 03-04-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hi All,

After taking the extremely remote Lake Turkana route up into Ethiopia, I immediately bumped into these guys

This is the first country I have seen civilains with AKs (or really any guns) and suddenly they are everywhere.

After all this time on the continent, I finally got to hold one too. Much smaller and lighter than I expected. It was loaded while I was playing with it too.

More here: Into Ethiopia | The Road Chose Me

I made a stop at a Mursi village before driving myself into a huge gas shortage that is impacting all of Ethiopia. I manage to find some, and a few times I buy from the black market out of containers. It does the trick, the Jeep doesn't seem to complain no matter what I put in the tank

More here: The Mursi People | The Road Chose Me

After swinging through the capital of Addis Abba to pickup a couple more visas I have driven into the seldom-visted country of Djibouti, and I immidiately feel like I have driven onto another planet.
This is like nothing I've ever seen before

More here: Lake Abbe Part 1 | The Road Chose Me
and here: Lake Abbe Part 2 | The Road Chose Me

Although I'm getting close to the end, it feels like there is still a lifetime of adventure in front of me.

Next I go back into Ethiopia before pushing through Sudan and into Egypt, the final destination!

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #379 of 400 Old 03-25-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hi All,

I drove back over the horrendous road and into Ethiopia, and after driving the Jeep to over 14,080 ft. in the Simien Mountains in Ethiopia, I was happy to make it out of that country safely and without incident.

In all my expeditions around the world, Ethiopia is the only country I have ever felt unsafe in, and certainly very unwelcome.
It's a beautiful place, but it has some serious problems right now. Unfortunately I feel like I can't recommend a visit, which is really sad.

You can read about the mountains here
http://theroadchoseme.com/the-simien-mountains-part-1
and here
http://theroadchoseme.com/the-simien-mountains-part-2

And now I have driven into African country number 34, Sudan!

The border was time consuming, but more-or-less what I have come to accept as normal. Dropping out of the mountains the temperature skyrocketed well over 110F.
Border crossing story here: Ethiopia Ends / Into Sudan | The Road Chose Me

For the first night I just wild camped off the road. Everyone says it's insanely safe here, and I have felt welcome right from the get-go.

Now in Sudan, I just paid $0.35/gal for gas - easily the cheapest I have ever paid on the continent, and in my life. It's nice to get a whole tank for $7 !

People here are insanely friendly, and now I'm looking forward to wild camping out in the desert!

Full story about what Sudan feels like here: To Khartoum | The Road Chose Me

I can't believe I only have one more border to cross. After almost three years on the road it's going to be very surreal to "finish".

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #380 of 400 Old 03-26-2019, 11:07 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Not going to lie Dan, Iím going to be slightly upset when your adventure ends. Are you coming back to Canada? Is the Jeep? Or are you going to do something else while you are over there?

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
post #381 of 400 Old 03-26-2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
Not going to lie Dan, Iím going to be slightly upset when your adventure ends. Are you coming back to Canada? Is the Jeep? Or are you going to do something else while you are over there?
As much as I'd love to drive across Central Asia and the 'stans, my bank account is not on board with that plan!

I'm coming back to North America, and I'm bringing the Jeep with me.
I plan to display it and talk at a number of Overland/4x4/Jeep shows this coming summer.
After that I'll base myself in the Yukon again for adventures around Yukon and Alaska. The mountains are calling me back !

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #382 of 400 Old 04-15-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hi All,

I have driven the length of Sudan, exploring the desert and wild camping every single night.

Tons more photos on my website.

Now after crossing the most expensive, complicated and convoluted border of my life, I have driven into Egypt. The 35th and final African country on this expedition!

All the details on the border crossing and madness here: Into Egypt | The Road Chose Me

I'm loving this place already!

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #383 of 400 Old 04-15-2019, 02:42 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

What are the pyramid things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #384 of 400 Old 04-16-2019, 09:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What are the pyramid things?
Ya, what the hell. All those shows I've seen on tv telling me how hard it was to make the pyramids. I could knock out one of those in a weekend.

Oooor, are those for midgets?

Kevin
post #385 of 400 Old 04-16-2019, 10:12 AM
Rock God

Can we take a moment and notice two things.
1. His 2 year trip became three.
2. Contrary to all the predictions, he hs omly one country left to die in.
post #386 of 400 Old 04-16-2019, 10:24 AM

found them, they are called Nubian pyramids.

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #387 of 400 Old 04-28-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hi All,

After almost three years, 35 countries and over 53,000 miles, I have driven right around Africa, and arrived at the Giza Pyramids in Egypt!

I am absolutely ecstatic!!

Read the full story: Cairo and the Pyramids of Giza | The Road Chose Me

Now only the final hurdle remains - shipping the Jeep out of Egypt!

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #388 of 400 Old 04-29-2019, 02:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Congrats Dan! You did it.

Now what?

Kevin
post #389 of 400 Old 04-29-2019, 05:36 AM

WooHoo

Quote:
Quote:
post #390 of 400 Old 04-29-2019, 01:50 PM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

The Pyramids are something to see in person, TV or pictures does not do them justice at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #391 of 400 Old 05-08-2019, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hi Everyone,

After the most insane paperwork run-around and bureaucracy of my life, I managed to drive the Jeep into a 20 foot shipping container and seal the door.

Immediately I felt like I was separated from a good friend, a really strange feeling.

After 999 days, I hopped on a plane, and the Jeep is crossing the mighty North Atlantic.

You can read about the insanity here: Africa Ends | The Road Chose Me

I'm still in disbelief that it's over.

More updates to come, including tons of info on costs, what I would do differently, how the Jeep performed, etc. etc.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #392 of 400 Old 05-08-2019, 05:22 AM

We all knew you couldn't stay on the road forever, but we sure are going to miss this.

Quote:
Quote:
post #393 of 400 Old 05-08-2019, 06:57 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grecy View Post
Hi Everyone,

After the most insane paperwork run-around and bureaucracy of my life, I managed to drive the Jeep into a 20 foot shipping container and seal the door.

Immediately I felt like I was separated from a good friend, a really strange feeling.

After 999 days, I hopped on a plane, and the Jeep is crossing the mighty North Atlantic.

You can read about the insanity here: Africa Ends | The Road Chose Me

I'm still in disbelief that it's over.

More updates to come, including tons of info on costs, what I would do differently, how the Jeep performed, etc. etc.

-Dan
Where in the world is Dan Greck? Seriously, you hopped on a plane, and didnít say where to. If you are passing through east of Toronto I would love to buy you a beer and meet you in person.

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
post #394 of 400 Old 05-12-2019, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hil All,

The Jeep has arrived in North America, and now I'm on a mission.

I'm presenting, showing the Jeep and speaking on panels at Overland Expo in Flagstaff, AZ next weekend (17th, 18th, 19th May).

I will also be at many other Overland/4x4 shows over the summer, the full list is here: Touring Overland Shows in 2019 | The Road Chose Me

Let me know if there is a show you think I should go to that isn't on the list currently.

Also, after months of work (It started back in Nairobi, Kenya), I have published my coffee table photography book of Africa!

With 77 full color pages containing a double-page spread on every country, info on the Jeep, the expedition and some fun numbers and quirks too. Each country is a blend of people, landscapes, wildlife and daily life Ė the parts of Africa that I will never forget.

The Jeep and I make the odd appearance too.

It's available now on Amazon!: https://amzn.to/2H93IUH

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #395 of 400 Old 05-21-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hi All,

I imagine everyone has tons of questions about the whole expedition, so I'm doing an "Ask Me Anything" on Reddit.com right now.

Come on over and ask me absolutely anything about the expedition.

It's all on the table - safety, money, health, budget, visas, route, people, animals, the Jeep.

You ask it, I'll answer it.

Go here: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen..._said_i_would/

-Dan

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #396 of 400 Old 06-08-2019, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hi All,

I'm moving around North America displaying the Jeep and giving presentations and talks about what I've done.

This weekend I'm at the Bantam Jeep Heritage Festival in Butler County, Pennsylvania. It's been great to meet so many people that have followed, and even a ton of people that had no idea what Overlanding is, but are stoked to get out there and have adventures.

Last night I took the Jeep into downtown Butler, PA for the "Jeep Invasion" where they shut down the city with a ton of cool Jeeps on display. It was a great night, and the Jeep stood out like a sore thumb with the roof up.

I'm at Bantam all weekend, come on by and say hello!

-Dan
post #397 of 400 Old 07-14-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hi All,

I'm touring the US this summer, speaking at shows, talking about what I did, telling stories and showing off the Jeep.

I'm on the scheudle at all of the below to speak, display, etc.

Let me know if there is another show you think I should go to.

Please stop by the Jeep and say hello!

I keep adding new shows to my schedule for the summer - the current list looks like this.

If you know of a show you think I should be attending/presenting at, please let me know!

Big Sky Overland Rally
near Missoula, Montana
July 26-28

Rocky Mountain Overland Rally
Gunnison, Colorado
August 1-4

Toledo Jeep Festival
Toledo, Ohio
August 9-11

Jeep Jam
Wilmington, Ohio
August 16-19

Appalachian Rendezvous
Uwharrie, North Carolina
September 12-15

Overland Expo EAST
Arrington, Virginia
October 11-13

Virginia Root Top Tent Rally
Gladstone, Virginia
October 18-20

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #398 of 400 Old 07-14-2019, 05:57 PM
Minstrel Gigolo

Question for you sir.
When you are not circumnavigating by Jeep, do you do any other extreme-ish activities? Things that come to mind are hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, Sailing the Transpac or ultra marathons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
yíaller quenchin' with beer
post #399 of 400 Old 07-15-2019, 12:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
Question for you sir.
When you are not circumnavigating by Jeep, do you do any other extreme-ish activities? Things that come to mind are hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, Sailing the Transpac or ultra marathons?
He's decompressing after his journey................probably cage fighting.

Kevin
post #400 of 400 Old 07-30-2019, 01:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Scooter View Post
1. His 2 year trip became three.
Better results than taking a 3 hour tour...
Cod likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode