Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me - Page 12 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 82Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #276 of 399 Old 10-09-2017, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hey All,

The DRC continues to impress and continues to be a mud slog!

I arrive in the extremely famous Luozi looking to cross the ferry, though not before the nastiest "warlord" Policeman of the journey has his say!

Read that story here: Across The DRC Day 3 ? Luozi | The Road Chose Me

After finally getting away from him, I make my way to the mighty Congo river, and cross on the most ramshackle ferry of my life!
This is the kind of adventure I will never forget as long as I live.

Read more and more photos of the crossing here: Across The DRC Day 3 ? Luozi Ferry across the Congo River | The Road Chose Me

Of course, the mud continues on the other side!

-Dan

Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(previously
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #277 of 399 Old 10-16-2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hey All,

The slog across the DRC continued, with - of course - more mud.

The starter was broken on this truck, and we tried the winch. It didn't stand a chance, so we couldn't help.
The guys were extremely thankful, and resumed waiting in the shade of a tree.

These are the kind of villages near the road:

Full story here: Across The DRC Day 4 | The Road Chose Me

And after a solid bribery attempt and and stand off, I reach the border of Angola.
Mad Max was close, but got something seriously wrong. The amount of trash on the ground. Imagine it at least 2 feet deep, absolutely everywhere you can see.
Hundreds of people streaming across the border, scorching heat and humidity.
To top it all off, a guy walked right past with a full-sized fridge on his head!

More on the crossing here: Into Angola | The Road Chose Me

The DRC has been an adventure I will never forget, now it's time for Angola!

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
post #278 of 399 Old 10-19-2017, 09:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

So, what I'm getting out of this is that you're really enjoying the mud.

I expected the Congo to be more jungle'ish and less of the open plain'ish that your pictures show.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #279 of 399 Old 10-28-2017, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
So, what I'm getting out of this is that you're really enjoying the mud.

I expected the Congo to be more jungle'ish and less of the open plain'ish that your pictures show.
I expected a lot more jungle too. Obviously it's a very, very big country, and I'm sure it's different over in the East.
I'm toying with the idea of going in there to find gorillas, lava and glaciers when I'm over that side of the continent in something like 6 months.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #280 of 399 Old 10-28-2017, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hey All,

I am absolutely loving Angola so far.
After the mud slog through the DRC, I was absolutely ready for some beach-n-chill time. So I did exactly that.

Read how the border crossing into Angola finished up: Angola Awaits | The Road Chose Me

I moved towards Luanda, and found a great wildcamp right above this amazing shipwreck beach:

Read more here: Shipwreck Beach | The Road Chose Me

Luanda is up next!

-Dan
JGzCrush likes this.

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #281 of 399 Old 10-30-2017, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I know everyone worries about bribery a lot when driving through the undeveloped world.

Finally, I caught it on camera!

Grab some popcorn and watch the reality of Bribery in Nigeria, the most notorious of all.
This exactly mirrors my experiences from Alaska to Argentina and now on the West Coast of Africa - well over 200 bribery attempts.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

Last edited by Grecy; 10-30-2017 at 05:22 AM.
post #282 of 399 Old 10-31-2017, 09:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

What a cool video.

So where did buy the Britt? Or was he a stray?

Kevin
post #283 of 399 Old 10-31-2017, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I would very much like you to act as my legal counsel if I am ever in need lol. You have quite the rapport with these people it seems. Continued safety throughout your travels, sir. Cheers!

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #284 of 399 Old 11-01-2017, 05:50 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

You need to post more vids of stuff like that. It is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #285 of 399 Old 11-01-2017, 06:56 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

I wonder how that part of the world would treat you if you said you're American.

Safe Travels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #286 of 399 Old 11-01-2017, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post
I wonder how that part of the world would treat you if you said you're American.

Safe Travels!
Was thinking the exact same thing about half way through that last video.
Cod likes this.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #287 of 399 Old 11-10-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
What a cool video.

So where did buy the Britt? Or was he a stray?
Backpacker who wanted to hop from Benin to Cameroon as fast as possible.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #288 of 399 Old 11-10-2017, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post

Safe Travels!
American's are well liked in West Africa. Many, many people wear the US flag on their shirt, and they all want to be American rap stars. I have always felt whenever someone has mistaken me for an American (because of the Jeep) it has worked well for me.

Hollywood has overstated the realities.

-Dna

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #289 of 399 Old 11-10-2017, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hey Everyone,

I am touring Angola and loving every second.

I spent some time in the capital of Luanda, visiting the War history museum and camping with a million dollar view on the waterfront for free!

More: Luanda | The Road Chose Me

I camped out at Piedras Negras (black Rocks) then visited the extremely impressive Kalandula Falls

More: Piedras Negras | The Road Chose Me
and
Kalandula Falls | The Road Chose Me

Now I'm out exploring around, with not particular goal in mind.
Evidence of the civil war is everywhere, including this Russian tank that dwarfed the Jeep.

More: Amazing Angola Pt. 1 | The Road Chose Me

I really love Angola, and already think I will extend my visa.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #290 of 399 Old 11-10-2017, 12:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Wow, I had absolutely no idea something like this existed in Angola. Sounds like it was a surprise to you too.

Now you're the guy everyone will point at and say,"Wow, look what just crawled out of the bush. Don't touch it kids, it's probably sick".

Kevin
post #291 of 399 Old 11-17-2017, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hi All,

I am just getting over a second round of Malaria, which has been much, much worse than the first time.

I wrote about it so others can understand and learn what it's actually like to get Malaria while on the road.

Full story here: Malaria Round Two | The Road Chose Me

Yep, needles were involved

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #292 of 399 Old 11-17-2017, 01:29 PM
Rock God

Dan ouch sucks to hear, get better man!

post #293 of 399 Old 11-28-2017, 10:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Wow, sorry to hear.

So you're living the dream And the nightmare at the same time.

Kevin
post #294 of 399 Old 11-28-2017, 12:24 PM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Well that sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #295 of 399 Old 12-01-2017, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hey Everyone,

I have put the foot down and driven to South Africa to pickup The Big Freek, editor of JPFreek Adventure Magazine!

We'll roam the country for the next two weeks, finding what (mis)adventures we can!

All the updates will be on social media, be sure to follow on your platform of choice so you don't miss anything!

Instagram: theroadchoseme

Facebook: The Road Chose Me

Twitter: dangrec

-Dan

PS Rest assured I will loop around and fill in all the adventures I missed between where I left off and where I am now!

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

Last edited by Grecy; 12-01-2017 at 01:52 AM.
post #296 of 399 Old 12-02-2017, 11:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

What did you do with the stray you had with you?

Kevin
post #297 of 399 Old 12-14-2017, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hi All,

Checkout the latest update on my African Expedition on the BFGoodrich Garage blog!
http://bfgoodri.ch/2krkAcI

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #298 of 399 Old 12-14-2017, 04:56 PM
Wheeler

Garage

So, are you going to enter into this hyper-dangerous adventure with an expectation that US Military personnel will be asked to put their life on the line to save yours? Why not just drive around the USA stem to stern? Have you done that already?

2017 JKU Rubicon Recon - Rhino
2017 JKU Sahara Chief - Chief Blue
post #299 of 399 Old 12-15-2017, 09:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRecon View Post
So, are you going to enter into this hyper-dangerous adventure with an expectation that US Military personnel will be asked to put their life on the line to save yours? Why not just drive around the USA stem to stern? Have you done that already?
Might want to read this whole thread, then where he drove from Alaska to the tip of S. America.

Besides, he's Australian. They don't hate his guts like they would us.
redbank and jvandy50 like this.

Kevin
post #300 of 399 Old 12-15-2017, 12:06 PM
Granite Guru

And then there is the fact that he has already driven from Morocco to South Africa, so there is that. Not everyone needs to live in fear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode