Full-Traction 3" Long Arm Install and Impressions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-30-2015, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Full-Traction 3" Long Arm Install and Impressions

I started with Full-Traction Suspension a few months ago and the first thing I did was order thier 3" Long Arm JK system. This is a bolt on sytem that includes everything you need for the install. I also ordered a set of the brand new JRi Shocks to go with it.

Now, I work for Full-Traction. There, I said it. But I'm also a very honest, straightforward guy. So I'm going to give you my opinions and I'm sure you'll take them with a grain of salt. That's okay. I'd do the same thing.

The install was pretty straightforward. It does require some cutting and grinding, but no welding is required. This is a bolt on kit! The hardest and most time consuming part was cutting off the frame side control arm mounts.

And my 2008 JK has a mix of sliders and skids from different companies so that was a little bit of a pain, but certainly not Full-Traction's fault. It didn't help that my Jeep has been wheeled and the underside is a little beaten up. Once again, not Full-Traction's fault.

So here's a few obligatory pics of the parts and the install:

Mounts needed to be straightened

Factory brackets need to be removed. We used a combination of electric and air tools, but a plasma would have sped up the process

The JRi shocks are adjustable and feature a remote reservoir

The control arms are huge and the joints are large and great quality. I was blown away when I opened the box

We did a late night, driveway alignment and I was off to Jeep Beach the next day!

I'd never driven a long armed JKU before and I was blown away by the ride, both around town and on the interstate. Lots of folks think a long arm kit is just for serious wheeling, but it dramatically improves the ride on the street! The Jeep feels much less twitchy and it rides great!

Here's the truth. I was down at Jeep Beach for 7 days. I spent over 40 hours in the seat, driving during that week. I have an Infiniti as my backup and normally after that much time in the Jeep, I'd look forward to the Infiniti. I got home from Jeep Beach, hopped in the Jeep and took the kids to school the day after I got back. I look forward to driving the Jeep so much more now!!

I'm leaving tomorrow for Black Mountain in Harlan, KY for 8 days of wheeling. I look forward to getting the Jeep offroad and seeing what this new system can do. I'll provide updates here. Stay tuned.

If you have any questions, feel free to post up here. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. Thanks!!

Full-Traction Suspension

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-01-2015, 08:30 PM
Wheeler

Nice!!! Harlan is one helluva a place to wheel...your going to have blast...be sure to post some pics! Hit up Bourbon country on your way back!
post #3 of 8 Old 05-12-2015, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

We're back! I've been to Black Mountain 3 or 4 times, but this trip was so much better! Loving the new lift. It was fast and smooth on the "core" roads. It flexed great. There is almost no body roll on the street. Rides great. Quiet. I cleaned trails I had to winch on before.

Here's some pics!!

That's 3" of lift and 37s.

That's not a poser shot. I went over that rock.

I followed these guys up a trail called "Mason Jar". 54"s, 2 sets of 43" stickies and a set of 39" stickies. That was a fun trail!

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Full-Traction Suspension

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-19-2015, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Do you guys have any questions?

Is this thing on?

Full-Traction Suspension

post #5 of 8 Old 05-21-2015, 11:34 AM
Granite Guru

Does this kit use heim joints? What's the front setup? Radius arm? 3 link?

Professional Web Wheeler
post #6 of 8 Old 06-09-2015, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreg View Post
Does this kit use heim joints? What's the front setup? Radius arm? 3 link?
I apologize for the delayed response. I didn't get a notification you replied to the thread.

It uses heim joints on one end and urethane on the other.

4 link on the front.

More info: http://full-traction.com/detail.php?b=1&m=6&t=1&p=556#n

Full-Traction Suspension

post #7 of 8 Old 06-12-2015, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

i have a question; why is the upper CA DOM angled like that behind the (massive!) heim? see where the yellow tape was? walk your eyes toward the heim-joint and just where you begin to see the threads peeking out prior to the jam-nut , I have never seen the arm cut at an angle where threaded before ... is that advantageous for any particular reason ?
On a side note , I kinda busted chops on JRIs initial posting of those shocks here -not directly but due to there being yet ANOTHER massively pricey shock introduced to the JK market ... those actually look really nice but gol are they expensive ! $1700 for four shocks is maddening but they do appear to be of exceptional build quality from your images ....
thanks

post #8 of 8 Old 06-17-2015, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
i have a question; why is the upper CA DOM angled like that behind the (massive!) heim? see where the yellow tape was? walk your eyes toward the heim-joint and just where you begin to see the threads peeking out prior to the jam-nut , I have never seen the arm cut at an angle where threaded before ... is that advantageous for any particular reason ?
On a side note , I kinda busted chops on JRIs initial posting of those shocks here -not directly but due to there being yet ANOTHER massively pricey shock introduced to the JK market ... those actually look really nice but gol are they expensive ! $1700 for four shocks is maddening but they do appear to be of exceptional build quality from your images ....
thanks
Thanks for the reminder. I always mean to ask about that and I always for get. I'll find out for you.

In the last 10 days I've put 2500 miles on this Jeep with no regrets. Lost of interstate driving, surface streets, some off road. Once again, I'm really pleased. 2500 miles in a JKU on 37s is not easy! But this kit makes it so much better!

Full-Traction Suspension

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode