Little weekend carnage - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 02-23-2015, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Little weekend carnage

Had my first experience with snow wheeling yesterday, which turned into the worst break I've had on the trail. Broke my sector shaft I was trying to climb an ice covered hill and grabbed a dry spot got traction which pulled me into the berm/tree root and pop. Wheel speed was definitely the culprit in this case, but there was no chance i was crawling up this thing.

It looks like theres a little rust on the bottom right side, so I'm thankful it happened here and not on the road.

Rigged up the sling to the knuckles and this badass little liberty pulled my ass out

Made a phone call to a buddy and he was nice enough to pick me up. He just got this set up and let me tell you this 450 pulls like an absolute beast. Could hardly tell the jeep was behind us.

All in all it was a good day, the guy in the liberty got me to the parking lot and then we wheeled in his jeep the rest of the day. And my buddies little YJ he bought for a grand was a little animal out there. He welded up the front and rear and that bitch went damn near everywhere.

At this point i figure Ill just pony up for the PSC hydro assist kit. I need to get a new pitman arm as well, as we unable to get the busted shaft out and the splines are all chewed up anyways. I have a stock drag link, you guys think i should just upgrade now as well?

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-23-2015, 09:19 AM
JKowners Vendor

Glad you were able to make it out! Looks fun... minus the breakage!

-Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #3 of 15 Old 02-23-2015, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com View Post
Glad you were able to make it out! Looks fun... minus the breakage!

-Jason
It was a lot of fun, only part i was mad about was how early it happened. The learning experience of the whole thing was great. Now having the knowledge of how to make a recovery in that situation will be something ill never forget and will be able to pass on to fellow wheelers if something like that happens again.

PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-23-2015, 11:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguyhasadd42 View Post
I have a stock drag link, you guys think i should just upgrade now as well?
The old sector shaft break is one that absolutely ends your day. At least you were in a spot where the recovery wasn't so bad.

I would swap out that stock DL for a better one while you are doing all the work. I have had a RK drag link on for a years and have never had an issue with it at all. Many other good brands too.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #5 of 15 Old 02-23-2015, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
The old sector shaft break is one that absolutely ends your day. At least you were in a spot where the recovery wasn't so bad.

I would swap out that stock DL for a better one while you are doing all the work. I have had a RK drag link on for a years and have never had an issue with it at all. Many other good brands too.
It sure does. It actually wasn't to terrible getting it out of the woods, just slow moving. The snow and ice definitely helped i thought.

Im gonna go with the synergy DL, i like that it comes with the tre's and its adjustable while on the jeep.

Do you think it is worth getting the sector shaft brace with the hydro assist?

post #6 of 15 Old 02-23-2015, 01:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
It sure does. It actually wasn't to terrible getting it out of the woods, just slow moving. The snow and ice definitely helped i thought.

Im gonna go with the synergy DL, i like that it comes with the tre's and its adjustable while on the jeep.

Do you think it is worth getting the sector shaft brace with the hydro assist?
I think all drag links use the adjuster sleeve which allows you to adjust while on the vehicle. Not totally sure on that though

I elected not to do a sector shaft brace since doing the hydro assist. supposedly the ram takes some pressure off the steering box. So far so good for me. But I don't see how it would hurt. If you are doing a Synergy DL, they make a nice sector shaft brace to go along with it.

TC

Last edited by TCdawg; 02-23-2015 at 01:16 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-23-2015, 01:09 PM
JKO Addict!

It's my understanding you do not need a SSB with Hydro assist. The load is removed from the drag link/sector shaft.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #8 of 15 Old 02-23-2015, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
I think all drag links use the adjuster sleeve which allows you to adjust while on the vehicle. Not totally sure on that though

I elected not to do a sector shaft brace since doing the hydro assist. supposedly the ram takes some pressure off the steering box. So far so good for me. But I don't see how it would hurt. If you are doing a Synergy DL, they make a nice sector shaft brace to go along with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
It's my understanding you do not need a SSB with Hydro assist. The load is removed from the drag link/sector shaft.
I have read that as well, I think the brace might help against a shock of something similar to what happened to me. Not sure if the brace would have helped in this case tho.

Edit: after a quick look at the brace i think in fact would have helped in this situation

post #9 of 15 Old 02-23-2015, 01:30 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Now having the knowledge of how to make a recovery in that situation will be something ill never forget and will be able to pass on to fellow wheelers if something like that happens again.
You've already passed on some knowledge - I filed away the trick of setting up the tow strap as a yoke to the knuckles.
Quote:
Rigged up the sling to the knuckles and this badass little liberty pulled my ass out

1. Thanks for sharing that trick!
  2. Glad you got out without any more drama.
  3. Did your Jeep trail along behind the Liberty without needing corrections?
  4. With those big-assed meats and non-mall wheeling, consider adding ram assist rather than a sector shaft brace.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #10 of 15 Old 02-23-2015, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
You've already passed on some knowledge - I filed away the trick of setting up the tow strap as a yoke to the knuckles.

1. Thanks for sharing that trick!
  2. Glad you got out without any more drama.
  3. Did your Jeep trail along behind the Liberty without needing corrections?
  4. With those big-assed meats and non-mall wheeling, consider adding ram assist rather than a sector shaft brace.
Glad to share! Surprisingly it did, as long as you keep the shackle from sliding on the strap attached to the knuckles it should follow. the shorter sling from the "apex" to the liberty helped. It acted pretty much as a tow bar. Ram assist will be added, going with the PSC kit. I know its pricey but i figure ill do it right the first time. I just wondering if the brace would be added insurance.

Forgot to mention, the was in gear "4low and first" to help assist the tow. No gas from me unless absolutely needed. Also if the jeep started to climb out of the ruts id push the clutch in and lock up the brakes and it would slide back in the ruts. Again i think the snow helped tremendously with this.

Last edited by Thisguyhasadd42; 02-23-2015 at 01:48 PM.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-23-2015, 02:15 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Glad to share! Surprisingly it did, as long as you keep the shackle from sliding on the strap attached to the knuckles it should follow. the shorter sling from the "apex" to the liberty helped. It acted pretty much as a tow bar.

Forgot to mention, the was in gear "4low and first" to help assist the tow. No gas from me unless absolutely needed. Also if the jeep started to climb out of the ruts id push the clutch in and lock up the brakes and it would slide back in the ruts. Again i think the snow helped tremendously with this.
Thank you! I can't quite see - what did y'all use to cinch the strap together near the shackle? (damn, I'm a needy bitch today)

Quote:
Ram assist will be added, going with the PSC kit. I know its pricey but i figure ill do it right the first time.
All good stuff, except for their bolt-on axle side ram mount - I got a PM question from a dude who's bent 2 of them.
Also, I strongly suggest putting a cooler in the return line to the reservoir unless you like cooking and replacing pumps.

Quote:
I just wondering if the brace would be added insurance.
It's added insurance, but IMHO kinda' like adding training wheels to a tricycle.
No harm in going overkill - feel free to ignore me when I suggest not adding strength to your Jeep.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #12 of 15 Old 02-23-2015, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
Thank you! I can't quite see - what did y'all use to cinch the strap together near the shackle? (damn, I'm a needy bitch today)

All good stuff, except for their bolt-on axle side ram mount - I got a PM question from a dude who's bent 2 of them.
Also, I strongly suggest putting a cooler in the return line to the reservoir unless you like cooking and replacing pumps.

It's added insurance, but IMHO kinda' like adding training wheels to a tricycle.
No harm in going overkill - feel free to ignore me when I suggest not adding strength to your Jeep.
My buddy who is a rigger by trade worked his magic. He made loop with the loop at the end of the sling "cats paw" around the tre on the pass side. Was harder on the driver side, he tied a clove hitch then secured it with some flat line. Also need to make sure the shackle up front doesn't slide.

They will be making a custom bracket for me sense I have the Teraflex 44 housing up front. I'll be sure to keep and eye on it. Worst case I can weld something stronger. Cooler was ordered as well!

Gotcha, will most likely pass on it at this time.

Last edited by Thisguyhasadd42; 02-23-2015 at 06:55 PM.
post #13 of 15 Old 02-28-2015, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Brown santa came today!!! Pretty sure i got pump, I wanted the light feel but got the firm feel. Think ill be able to just send the pump back? Got the synergy DL as well.

post #14 of 15 Old 02-28-2015, 09:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Brown santa came today!!! Pretty sure i got pump, I wanted the light feel but got the firm feel. Think ill be able to just send the pump back? Got the synergy DL as well.

They sent you the wrong pump? Hell yes, send it back.

TC

post #15 of 15 Old 03-12-2015, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

After a quick email to Marcus we got it figured out. He talked to Kelvin at PSC and he said to run the firm feel if the jeep will be drivin at all on the road. It's not my dd but I defintely drive it. So all is good, looking forward to getting this system on the jeep.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode