BigGreenMachine's '07 Rustycon - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 Old 08-30-2014, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

BigGreenMachine's '07 Rustycon

I probably have one or two posts here on the forums and I've spent a fair number of hours looking for info and browsing pics but I've never posted my Jeep. Great forum and I tell everyone looking for info to search JKO.

My name is James and here is the JKU Rubi that I have owned for a couple years now. Bought it stock with 108K on it and took it wheeling immediately. I have a Cherokee on 32's that I bought/wheeled before the JK and now a CJ and absolutely love to wheel my rigs every chance I can get. We have a lot of exposed bedrock here in Newfoundland, Canada, that is just a riot to wheel on and the scenery is amazing. I'll try and keep this thread updated with wheeling pics and progress of my build, Rustycon.

I'm on instagram as well for anyone who wants to follow. I post lots of wheeling pics. @James_Lundrigan

Teraflex 2" spacer front 1" rear
35x13.5x15" Toyo M/T
15x8 Crager soft 8's
Swaybar removed
Poison Spyder Crusher aluminum flares
Poison Spyder BFH trail stinger
10000lb Superwinch
Custom frame welded rock sliders
Custom rear bumper/tire carrier
Purejeep axle truss/gussets/control arm skids
Nytro axle sleeves
5.38 Yukon gears/factory elockers
Bestop Trektop NX
Rigid D2/7" HID floods
SPod
Trucklites

Stock

35" toyos, 2" leveling kit and steelies

tucked

38's getting some new life cut into them

Newfoundland has some great wheeling, exposed bedrock everywhere and the North Atlantic ocean as a backdrop.

The rear locker quit working on me a couple weeks ago, just like the front...warranty refused to cover it after they paid a 7k bill for my front locker a week prior, frig them. The Rubicon E-lockers are "non-serviceable," meaning the whole unit gets replaced and mopar doesn't sell any small parts for them. So while it was apart, having read some info on JKOwners.com forum about shimming the rear locker to make it work again, my mechanic bud tried a homebrew fix/shim of his own and it frigging works 100% like new. Basicly wear and tear on the plunger mechanism and electromagnet that engages the locker allows for some slop which causes the locker to slip and pop under load. He scavenged a shim plate from the old front locker and installed it to find it returned the locker back to working condition. How good is that! The soft top is ordered...got some new/old American Racing 15x10 alloy wheels to mount my 38's on...lift will soon be ordered and and and....the mods will probably never end.

Stock locker, one shim plate.

Locker with the extra shim plate in there to take up the slack.

Can't wait to be running the 38's!

Last edited by BigGreenMachine; 08-30-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 08-30-2014, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Some more wheeling shots of our trails in Newfoundland. Have a great Jeep club, NLJeepOwners on Facebook with a solid bunch of guys! Thanks for looking!

The point of land in the background is the most eastern point in North America, Cape Spear Newfoundland.

Flexed out on a 39" irok...not bad for stock suspension.

[

Last edited by BigGreenMachine; 08-30-2014 at 08:12 PM.
post #3 of 70 Old 08-30-2014, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Few more random wheeling shots.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 70 Old 08-30-2014, 09:59 PM
Rock God

Garage

Newfoundland...nice! You bastards can drink! I went to school with one...

Anyway, welcome to JKO and that's an awesome looking rig. I'm from Southern New Brunswick, Saint John to be exact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreenMachine View Post
Few more random wheeling shots.

I could have swore that was taken on one of my local trails!

Bad angle, but you can see the similarity!

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #5 of 70 Old 08-31-2014, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Very similar and thanks!
post #6 of 70 Old 09-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Granite Guru

what flares are you running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
I think I would rather hunt feral cats for food then to grocery shop at a walmart.
2009 Sahara JKU

TO DO LIST

[]4.5 Clayton
[]37" Copper STT/Mud grapplers
[]pro comp 7069 (black)
[]River Raiders Narrow fenders
[]XRC front bumper
[]XRC Rear Bumper
[]VKS Fab - Bolt-on 4 Door Sliders
[]tramp stamp (river raiders/jeep swag)
[]20" LED bar
[] dirtdog 4x4 3 piece net
[]MBRP off road exhaust
[]Mygig RER 730N

only on a 
post #7 of 70 Old 09-09-2014, 04:39 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
. . . My name is James and here is the JKU Rubi that I have owned for a couple years now . . .
Hi James,
  1. Sweet rig!
  2. Beautiful area you live in! I'm jealous.
  3. Thanks for the locker tip (hope I don't need it )
  4. I dig your dogs.
  5. Thanks for sharing - please post more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudzilla View Post
what flares are you running?
Quote:
Teraflex 2" spacer front 1" rear
35x13.5x15" Toyo M/T
15x8 Crager soft 8's
Swaybar removed
Poison Spyder Crusher aluminum flares
Poison Spyder BFH trail stinger
10000lb Superwinch
Custom frame welded rock sliders
Custom rear bumper/tire carrier
Purejeep axle truss/gussets/control arm skids
Nytro axle sleeves
5.38 Yukon gears/factory elockers
Bestop Trektop NX
Rigid D2/7" HID floods
SPod
Trucklites

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #8 of 70 Old 09-09-2014, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Hey ExWrench, thanks! I grew up on a 4x4 quad and got to explore every inch of the hundreds of square kilometers near my home so the Jeep's were a natural fit. I'll keep posting my wheeling trips and build progress. 3.5" lift and 38's coming soon.
post #9 of 70 Old 09-14-2014, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Home again from my 2 week shift of work. I'm a heavy equipment operator working in the oilsands in Alberta, Canada. Fly across the country, work for 14 and go home for a week off. So when I'm home I wheel every chance I can get and mod when I can.

I finally bought a lift and everything I need to stuff 38" TSL SX under the JK. Nothing real fancy but it'll work great and give me the extra clearance I badly need. Went with Rock Krawler 3.5 mid arm kit with 4 lower control arms and added the 3-link rear upgrade kit to the purchase so I can push the axle back to better tuck 38's into the wheel well. Already have the Fox 2.0 remote reservoir 4-6" lift shocks here waiting to go on. Hearing some complaints about having barely any uptravel with that long of a shock though. Anyone care to chime in on that? I ordered JKS adjustable front bumpstops just in case. Synergy front raised trackbar bracket and their draglink coming too. Order the tierod soon. Have some oldschool American racing 15x10 wheels on my cj that i want to use on my jk so i ordered the spidertrax conversion spacers. Can't wait to get it all done and see the new stance.

Here are some more wheeling pics from yesterday. Took my buddy out and it was his first time wheeling these couple trails. 3" BDS kit, fox 2.0's and 37" Coopers. Great looking rubi and very capable. He walked a few obstacles that my lack of clearance hung me up on.

post #10 of 70 Old 09-14-2014, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Things to come!

post #11 of 70 Old 10-09-2014, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Off for a month so lots of wheeling and wrenching to do. Destroyed my evap canister the other week so I picked up a new one and installed it along with the poison spyder skid that I had neglected to install prior. Fox shocks waiting to go on, 4-6" spec. Still waiting on my RK lift to show up. Also ordered poison spyder bombshell diff covers. Badly need some new skids....my stock tank skid is just mangled but the rest of the oem rubi skids are holding up great!

Little trail run the other evening. Petty Harbour, Newfoundland. Pretty easy trail with some places to get your crawl on. Hung up bad a few times, need lift... I take a lot of two door lines and let the skids deal with it. You can see my buddies JK8 on 37's, did all the work himself and its cleaner/nicer then a conversion the big local Jeep dealer did on a new Rubicon.

Anyone else hunt? I love to partridge hunt. My 17 month old Gordon Setter just got his first bird, third outing, first bird we saw and put him down.

post #12 of 70 Old 10-09-2014, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

...and one of my birddogs first partridge from the other evening! Stoked!

post #13 of 70 Old 10-29-2014, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well that month off flew by. Lift kit still hasn't shown up, soon. Picked up a nice used stock gas tank skid that im going to weld some 3/16 plate to for more strength. Got some lightbar mounts and a new 50" 288w cree bar mounted up. So much light!

post #14 of 70 Old 10-30-2014, 03:03 AM
Rock God

Garage

Nice!

Fly in/out gig? So you're living the typical maritimers lifestyle hahah.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #15 of 70 Old 10-30-2014, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yup typical alberta camp job, fly home for 7 days and repeat.
post #16 of 70 Old 11-03-2014, 12:13 AM
Granite Guru

Awesome bedrock playground, ocean background, hunting with dogs.. that's an ideal offroad life!
post #17 of 70 Old 11-22-2014, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Rustycon got some fresh legs this week! Rock Krawler 3.5 flex kit and 11" travel Fox 2.0 remote reservoir shocks. Changed out both diff covers for some bombshell covers from Poison Spyder. Synergy drag link and raised track bar bracket as well. Rides good, need to flip the drag link over the knuckle and install bumpstops. Parts to do that are on the way. Rides and drives great. Lots of clearance under the belly and room to fit some bigger rubber.

post #18 of 70 Old 11-24-2014, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Out with the group yesterday. Found a great spot to play around and test out the flex. Getting a lot of bumpsteer. Hopefully the flipped draglink fixes most of it, if not then it'll be reid knuckle time. 38's should be on next week with any luck. The extra clearance under the belly has really been noticeable. Not getting hung up and the wheel travel lets me cruise over stuff that stopped me before. The fox shocks are smooth over the rough stuff and I can really hammer on it without getting beat in the cab.

post #19 of 70 Old 12-01-2014, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

First snow of the year.

post #20 of 70 Old 12-08-2014, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Few updates. Got the 38's mounted and tested them out. Love them but they are so unevenly worn its gonna take a miracle to balance them. Ran a trail Sunday with my bud in his 60/40 TJ. Ran this trail with the budget boost before and scraped the whole way through it and couldn't make the rockwall climbs I tried. This time I barely scraped anywhere and made all the climbs I tried. Ground clearance and wheel travel!

post #21 of 70 Old 12-08-2014, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

post #22 of 70 Old 12-08-2014, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

post #23 of 70 Old 12-08-2014, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

post #24 of 70 Old 12-08-2014, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

post #25 of 70 Old 12-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Granite Guru

Wheres the big green machine ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode