Silver JK - RK 1.5" installed - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 08-29-2014, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Silver JK - RK 1.5" installed

Figured I'd share a pic or two of the progress I've made on my JK so far.

I've done a fair amount of wrenching on my motorcycles but never really done much aside from oil changes on my cars so was kind of venturing into new territory for me. I guess what really appealed to me about a Jeep was that I wouldn't be scared to wrench on it. My previous car was a BMW that I didn't feel comfortable doing anything to.

So with the help of Youtube and the many Jeep forums I figured I'd give it a go and get my hands dirty. I ordered the RK 1.5" Max Travel with the Bilstein 5100 from Marcus at RCO. Excellent vendor by the way! Also had him send me the Fuel Trophy wheels. Went with DiscountTireDirect for the Duratracs in 285/70/17.

It took me a while to get everything installed as the RK instructions aren't exactly writen like an idiots guide to lifting a JK so I had a bit of a learning curve I was having to go through. All in all it wasn't too bad of a job. I think I had the jeep up on jack stands for a total of about 3 days. The biggest challenge I had was torquing those jam nuts on the LCAs and track bar.

Painters tape and a sharpie to give me some reference lines and my woodworking bench solved the problem with how to torque them enough once I got the lengths right:

The tires arrived yesterday and I figured I'd try mounting them myself. I've mounted quite a few motorcycle tires before and will say these were easier to mount than the last set of street bike tires I did:

Got the tires balanced this morning and put them on:

Feels good to look at it and say "hey, I installed that".

Gonna need bumpers and a winch at some point but the CFO says I used up my budget for right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-29-2014, 12:20 PM
JKowners Vendor

Nice looking ride sir.. Welcome to the RK Family...

RK
post #3 of 16 Old 08-29-2014, 05:03 PM
Rock God

Nice work!

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 08-29-2014, 06:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Good job .. Looks great brother.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #5 of 16 Old 08-29-2014, 06:42 PM
Granite Guru

Looks nose high but see your stock bumpers, wonder how she will sit with bumper and winch. Give us a ride update, been looking at that very kit.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-29-2014, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I think the angle of the pic makes it look more nose high than it really is. Tape measure from fender to ground puts it about 5/8" high in the front so bumper and winch should put it about perfect.

I've only got about 75 miles on it since install of the lift and only about 5 miles with the duratracs on. Initial impression are that it definitely firmed up the ride. Much less squat and nose dive than stock. Steering feels solid and it tracks like it did stock. The Duratracs seem to transmit more of the road feel than the stock SRAs did. I could feel the tar snakes in the road today and don't remember feeling them before. Maybe that's just me being super sensitive to a new change and looking for something. Cornering wise it feels planted. Less body roll than stock. It's no sports car but actually think it feels better in the corners than my F150.

So far I'm very pleased with the new feel of the Jeep. Gonna take it on the highway for the first time tomorrow so i'll report back after I've put a few more miles on it.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-30-2014, 02:33 AM
JKO Addict!

What are you running for caster/toe angles ?

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #8 of 16 Old 08-30-2014, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Driveway measurement I believe is putting me at 4.7 for caster. I haven't checked toe. Need to get it into a shop to check my numbers against but just haven't had the time.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-31-2014, 02:42 PM
JKO Addict!

It's possible something's off or you're just feeling the less backspace/wider grippier tire.

post #10 of 16 Old 08-31-2014, 03:15 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

The Jeep looks great! Thank you for your business and support!

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 16 Old 09-02-2014, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
It's possible something's off or you're just feeling the less backspace/wider grippier tire.
I think it was my tire pressure. Dropped it down to 30psi and it feels great now. Amazed just 3-4 psi can make such a difference.
post #12 of 16 Old 09-03-2014, 08:17 PM
Granite Guru

Looking good man, very well done!
post #13 of 16 Old 09-03-2014, 08:29 PM
Rock God

Garage

Looks good!!

a.k.a. Christian - 2011 Black Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon
37" MTRK, RK 3.5 X-Factor (3-Link Rear) and other stuff..
Owner/Manager -
and other Web Properties

post #14 of 16 Old 09-08-2014, 06:58 PM
Wheeler

Great looking rig.... Love the wheels... Are they a headlock?

2003 Grand Cherokee Limited
-White/Agate 4.7HO/Quadra drive/242HD
-Clayton 6" Longarm, Bilstien 5100, Clayton skid, Custom Rockers,JK OME SS/Kevins Fit kit ,17" Hutchinson Rock Monsters/ 285/70/17 Interco Irok ND,Muffler delete/Magnaflow cats x3, SOLID d30/BTF d44a,Fawkes shackles,Projectors/HID,
Kyle Olean, NY

post #15 of 16 Old 09-09-2014, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

They are not beadlock, just a trim ring. Fuel Trophy D552.
post #16 of 16 Old 09-09-2014, 06:54 PM
Wheeler

That's what I figured as there beadlock version is big$$$$

2003 Grand Cherokee Limited
-White/Agate 4.7HO/Quadra drive/242HD
-Clayton 6" Longarm, Bilstien 5100, Clayton skid, Custom Rockers,JK OME SS/Kevins Fit kit ,17" Hutchinson Rock Monsters/ 285/70/17 Interco Irok ND,Muffler delete/Magnaflow cats x3, SOLID d30/BTF d44a,Fawkes shackles,Projectors/HID,
Kyle Olean, NY

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode