Rubicon Express 3.5 SuperFlex - how to soften ride? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Rubicon Express 3.5 SuperFlex - how to soften ride?

I have a 2013 JKU rubicon and I am running the RE 3.5" superflex suspension, with RS9000 shocks and 35" GoodYear MTRs. It's my daily driver and I find the ride too stiff and would like to see the best way to modify it to get a softer ride. My tire pressure is about 32psi.

Considering the EVO plush ride coils. Anyone else with this lift, installed the EVO plush ride coils? If so, would love to hear the outcome.

Also open to other suggestions to modify it for a softer on road ride.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-10-2014, 03:41 AM
JKO Addict!

32 psi is too much for a 35" tire. What's the load range ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #3 of 17 Old 07-10-2014, 03:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Fwiw .. I run RK's triple rates and Rancho 9000 shocks. Geo brackets for now which really help on road manners. E rated 35" Hankooks.
I can't say the ride is harsh .. At all.
If anything "grippy" the tires grab and follow every road imperfection.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 07-10-2014, 09:14 AM
Rock God

I run 32 psi on my dean 35's when I head out of town, in town im at 30 front and 28 rears, load rang D. the ride is good but i'm thinking about getting the new Rk springs for the jeep. 2.5" or going down to the 1.5".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 2 door sport, 6 speed,Dark Charcoal Pearl
post #5 of 17 Old 07-13-2014, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Load range is C. Is there a good PSI you recommend to run at?
post #6 of 17 Old 07-13-2014, 10:17 PM
JKO Addict!

26-28 psi

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #7 of 17 Old 07-14-2014, 07:52 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckyd View Post
I have a 2013 JKU rubicon and I am running the RE 3.5" superflex suspension, with RS9000 shocks and 35" GoodYear MTRs. It's my daily driver and I find the ride too stiff and would like to see the best way to modify it to get a softer ride. My tire pressure is about 32psi.

Considering the EVO plush ride coils. Anyone else with this lift, installed the EVO plush ride coils? If so, would love to hear the outcome.

Also open to other suggestions to modify it for a softer on road ride.

Thanks!
I have heard REs coils ride like garbage so I would definitely not hesitate to swap them out. I hear nothing but good things about the ride of the EVO plush rides. The new RK 2.5" triple rate coils should give a really nice ride to your rig as well.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-14-2014, 09:27 AM
Granite Guru

I have the exact same like RK 3.5 with rubicon shocks, I run 38psi off trail 18 psi on trail. I have 17" rims, what is your rim size? I would assume that makes a difference if you have 20" that would give you a harder ride.
If you dont mind me asking what determins the load, I see you guys used d,c etc.
My ride isnt bad on streets, I will eventually go to a better shock. maybe a fox?

2014 jk oscar mike edition. Manual. 3.5" Rubicon super flex suspension lift. 35" AT tires 17" method rims. Body armor doors. Smitty built MOD front bumper. Smittybilt 9500 lb winch, ARB twin compressor, Spod with gauge, D2 LED's.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-14-2014, 09:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Load range is determided by the manufacturer. It is based on weight handeling of the tire. E rated tires are built for ton sized trucks that tow heavy loads and are typically rated to carry 3195+lbs per tire. They are built heavier with more plys in the sidewalls to keep the tire from collapsing under weight and are usually required to run 80-85 psi for the load rating.

An E rated tire will be hevier then a C or D tire of the same make as well as not gripping off road when aired down.

A C rated tire is rated for nearly 2000lbs and more then enough tire for even the most modded jeeps. E rated tires are a very poor choice for an Jeep off road tire. The only real benefit to running a E rated tire is that the sidewall would be a little harder to cut thru since it has more belts.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #10 of 17 Old 07-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass5money View Post
I have the exact same like RK 3.5 with rubicon shocks, I run 38psi off trail 18 psi on trail. I have 17" rims, what is your rim size? I would assume that makes a difference if you have 20" that would give you a harder ride.
If you dont mind me asking what determins the load, I see you guys used d,c etc.
My ride isnt bad on streets, I will eventually go to a better shock. maybe a fox?
I have 17" wheels and load range C 40x13.50x17 trail grapplers but that is deceptive because 40" trail grapplers have thick sidewalls for that load range they are rated to hold over 3000lbs each at only 35 psi. I run my fronts at 20 and my rears at 18 to get a flat contact patch and decent ride and I could go lower by 2 psi if I wanted to, but I have a stock weight, or slightly ligter than stock, 2 door (no spare, no winch, no heavy bumpers, etc).
post #11 of 17 Old 07-14-2014, 12:38 PM
Granite Guru

wow .. do you have a pic of the jeep?? sounds nice.. Like I said my ride isnt too bad, compared to my un modded 14' 4 dr silverado its bumpier, but no more then what i would expect from a jeep.. Hopefully someone else here can be more helpfull then I.

2014 jk oscar mike edition. Manual. 3.5" Rubicon super flex suspension lift. 35" AT tires 17" method rims. Body armor doors. Smitty built MOD front bumper. Smittybilt 9500 lb winch, ARB twin compressor, Spod with gauge, D2 LED's.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-14-2014, 01:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Lol

post #13 of 17 Old 07-14-2014, 02:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass5money View Post

Stock rubicon shocks? If so, they are too short for the RK 3.5 springs

38 psi in the street is way high, try something around 28 like dirtman said.

18 psi in the trail is also high. Try 12, you'll feel a huge difference.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #14 of 17 Old 07-14-2014, 03:23 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
Stock rubicon shocks? If so, they are too short for the RK 3.5 springs

38 psi in the street is way high, try something around 28 like dirtman said.

18 psi in the trail is also high. Try 12, you'll feel a huge difference.
No they changed the stock shocks to the ones for the rubicon short arm super flex kit.

post #15 of 17 Old 07-14-2014, 03:26 PM
Granite Guru

I have this :
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Lift-K...20Express#tab3
And these in front:
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Lift-K...pn=R%2fERXJ713

and these in rear:
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Lift-K...pn=R%2fERXJ714

post #16 of 17 Old 07-14-2014, 03:29 PM
Granite Guru

When I watch other people jeeping it might be me but it looks like my body has more movement when going over obstacles then others. (yes I disconnect)

post #17 of 17 Old 07-14-2014, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input.

Bass5money,
Thanks very much for replying. It good to hear from someone with the same/similar setup. My wheels are AEV 17". Also, one other difference is that mine is a four door, however I would think that more weigh would make it ride softer.

Question for you. Did you notice it rode rougher initially( before you took it off road)? One of the staff guys at 4wheel parts mentioned that it softens once you really flex it out a bit. I have not had a chance to take it out to flex the suspension yet. Wondering if you saw a difference.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode